TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
patrone

Basic OOH Streaming/Download questions

I have a few quick questions on Roamio's out of home streaming features...hoping someone here can help.

1) I know you can stream out of home...but can you download out of home? I'm frequently in hotels and streaming (netflix) isn't always the best experience. Can I download a show OOH and watch when the download is completed?

2) Can I start watching a show that is in the process of downloading? As an example, if I'm 50% of the way done downloading a show, can I watch from the beginning while the remainder downloads?

3) How large are the standard download files?

4) Can I record at best quality on my TiVo for home viewing and then download a lesser quality version of the file to save space/time? Or is the recorded file on the TiVo only available at the original quality?

5) Is OOH streaming/downloading available via a mac or pc? Or is it just mobile devices at this time?
6) Are sports broadcasts (NHL) available for OOH streaming? Downloading?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by patrone : 11-26-2013 at 12:40 PM.
patrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrone View Post
I have a few quick questions on Roamio's out of home streaming features...hoping someone here can help.

1) I know you can stream out of home...but can you download out of home? I'm frequently in hotels and streaming (netflix) isn't always the best experience. Can I download a show OOH and watch when the download is completed?
2) Can I start watching a show that is in the process of downloading. As an example, if I'm 50% of the way done downloading a show, can I watch from the beginning while the remainder downloads?
3) How large are the standard download files?
4) Can I record at best quality on my TiVo for home viewing and then download a lesser quality version of the file to save space/time? Or is the recorded file on the TiVo only available at the original quality?
5) Is OOH streaming/downloading available via a mac or pc? Or is it just mobile devices at this time?
6) Are sports broadcasts (NHL) available for OOH streaming? Downloading?

Thanks guys!
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Depends on the show length and image resolution
4. There is no "best quality" or any quality setting on TiVo now. It's a digital only STB so all it does is record what video file it receives.
5. No
6. Yes as long as the copy flag (CCI byte) allows it.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
patrone

THanks a ton!

Do we know if TiVo plans to support pc/mac OOH viewing in the near future? I like my iPhone but it doesn't make for a great TV experience. iPads are better but still...would prefer my macbook when I'm traveling.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
patrone

I assume they'd bring that functionality to TiVo Desktop Plus...just not sure when that will be available...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrone View Post
THanks a ton!

Do we know if TiVo plans to support pc/mac OOH viewing in the near future? I like my iPhone but it doesn't make for a great TV experience. iPads are better but still...would prefer my macbook when I'm traveling.
You're welcome!

I'm not sure but I've heard talk of it while perusing these forums the last few months. Do some searching and maybe call TiVo and get their take on it.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
elwaylite

For tv show downloads I generally get Amazon VOD 1080p/24 files sent to my Roamio. IIRC, they are around 1.8gigs an hour.
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote