TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
lazarus000

Note Will the HD Directivo ever work with internet options?

The media center
Direct2PC

etc

a few basic 'on demand' internet options work but will the rest be included in a software update?

really irritating that is doesn't work ... especially since is appears to be deliberately not enabled.

anyone heard news?

thanks
lazarus000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There has been no word whatsoever. I assume that these will not appear, so if they do I will be pleasantly surprised. Not holding my breath. Indeed, there has been no word that there's ANY development of the TiVo software going on. Not that that means anything. Info such as this does not tend to leak out.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Gary McCoy

DirecTV wants to be your sole Pay-Per-View provider, over DBS. They are unlikely to EVER enable unlimited InterNet access, as that would enable other providers such as NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think the request was for features the other HRxx boxes have to be enabled for the THR22. Such things as YouTube, Pandora, widgets and whole-home viewing.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
MikeekiM
Palindromer

I am terribly disappointed in the latest DirecTiVo...

I love the familiar and friendly interface... But it just seems like they slapped together the device just to get it out there, and that it is not a robust foundation for growth and ongoing refinement...
  • Game Consoles: PS3, XBox 360, Wii
MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
I am terribly disappointed in the latest DirecTiVo...

I love the familiar and friendly interface... But it just seems like they slapped together the device just to get it out there, and that it is not a robust foundation for growth and ongoing refinement...
True. It was never intended to be much more than a "modern" HR10-250.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The hardware itself is simply the HR21/HR22 with a minor firmware change to distinguish it for software. DirecTV has added a lot of new functionality to the HR21/HR22 models. Whether it is a "foundation for growth and refinement" is entirely up to DirecTV and TiVo for what they want to do with the software.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
lazarus000

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I think the request was for features the other HRxx boxes have to be enabled for the THR22. Such things as YouTube, Pandora, widgets and whole-home viewing.
Correct ... i was asking whether the tivo brand will ever have the same internet features as the Directv brand DVR.

It is pretty annoying to be paying more money for less features.

I wonder who didn't want the internet/intranet features enabled on the Directivo? Tivo or Directv

Tivo has always seem to want strict control of any lan features on their boxes.

Directv might want additional features to encourage people to use their brand.

either way
lazarus000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
People have been speculating for years as to which company is responsible for the feature set (or lack of features). I doubt we will ever know - there are plausible arguments made for both sides.

I will point out, though, that the THR22 doesn't really do anything the HR10 couldn't, with the exception of VoD and we've seen lots of complaints that that doesn't work well. This suggests to me that even if DirecTV had wanted these other features, the TiVo developers were unable or unwilling to add them into the base code, since the implementation would almost certainly be different from what they had for their own boxes. That the launch of the THR22 was delayed so much from the initial schedule lends support to that side. I really don't see what DirecTV would have to gain from keeping HR22 features off of the THR22. They probably make more money if those features had been added.