TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
cwvega76

Why Doesnt Series 2 Dual Tuner Let You Select Antenna Only?

I am trying to set up so I can cancel DirectTV and use a NEOTV box for Netflix/Hulo+ and all the other stuff on the net. However I still want to record my local channels that I get to my Sony Bravia HD TV.

I have read (I think) all the threads about setting up a TIVO to receive OTA digital broadcases via a Digital to Analog converter box or an old VOOM box.

I have a Series 2 dual tuner and an older Series 2.
To date I have tried the following...

Using the Series 2 Dual Tuner:
----------------------------------
With the Series DT and selecting Satellite, the voom box worked great but it kept rebooting..I guess its bad.

I then substituted an old Directv HD receiver that I was no longer using. It has input for digital tv input, but I could not get past the boot up screen for the box because it said it had an invalid card? Card was good when I de-avtiveated it.

I then substituted an old Hughes Box but no matter how I tried I could not get the TIVO to change Channels even tho I told it the satellite receiver brand was a Hughes?

Lastly I substituted an APEX D to A converter box between OTA antenna and the TIVO. Then I learned that the series 2 does NOT have the option for setting up with Antenna Only.

Note: completely re-configuring TIVO each time. Took forever!

Using the Older Series 2 TIVO:
----------------------------------
Configured with Antenna Only using the APEX brand box. It works, BUT, the box only finds about 25 of the local channels? Multiple scans at different time of day .. no fun. If I connect the OTA antenna to my Sony Bravia HD TV It finds ALL the local channels...about 45 of them. (Orlando FL).

I did read that you could use the Series 2 with Converter Box of you selected a Satellite Brand that used same codes as the converter box. Found that APEX was supposedly a Hughes.. but that didnt work for me?

Beyond getting a different brand Digital to Analog converer box doe anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
JD
cwvega76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
replaytv
LovesPanda licorice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwvega76 View Post

I did read that you could use the Series 2 with Converter Box of you selected a Satellite Brand that used same codes as the converter box. Found that APEX was supposedly a Hughes.. but that didnt work for me?

Beyond getting a different brand Digital to Analog converter box doe anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
JD
Sorry, but the only way that I know that you can use a dual tuner Series 2 is using a DTV Pal or Pal Plus converter box and tell the Tivo that you are using satellite DTV. You will only get the channels that don't have the dash in them on the TiVo, but they will still be on the converter box. So if you want to see them you have to manually tune them using the remote for the converter box, not tuning using the TiVo remote. Some of the channels will be incorrect too. And of course you need the IR cables to control the DTV Pal converter box. All your other questions I know nothing about.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Why? During the time before the digital broadcast conversion, the FCC in all of its wisdom prohibited the sales of devices with only analog OTA tuners, so the TiVo DT can only tune analog cable channels.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 01-15-2013 at 03:19 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

What netringer said.

See this chart (Weaknees FAQ):
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dual-tuner.php
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
ggieseke

What replaytv, netringer and murgatroyd said, but even so you SHOULD be able to change channels on the Apex box using IR code 10020 for Hughes. 10052 & 10077 use the same basic codes but don't have an entry for the Enter key, just digits 0-9.

Unless your Apex box uses a different code than the one in the TiVo IR database, which is code 10098. With an S2DT you can use the Advanced option to pick a code directly instead of by brand (sorry S1 fans), so that may be worth a try too.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I'm not saying he shouldn't try, but you can't make a kludge work if you don't know what the original system was designed to do. The Weaknees chart explains more fully the original question in the thread title.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Why? During the time before the digital broadcast conversion, the FCC in all of its wisdom prohibited the sales of devices with only analog OTA tuners, so the TiVo DT can only tune analog cable channels.
Don't blame the FCC, it was TiVo's decision to cripple the 2DT so that they could get around the rule and still sell an obsolescent device. The spirit of the rule was "add a digital tuner if you haven't already," not "disable your OTA tuner if you can't be bothered to upgrade it."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote