TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Wheens

Chicago Fire Pilot

I kind of liked it. A bit formulaic. Reminded me a little of 3rd Watch.
Wheens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Flop

A bit formulaic? I left the Sp set, but it'll be a while before I get around to watching any more eps.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

I watched and I was not really impressed.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
ADG
Allan

This is only the second time I can remember not watching a pilot to the end. Every action, character, event, plot line - hell, every word of dialog was cliche and predictable. Watched about 20 minutes and my wife and I just looked at each other and I deleted it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Dawghows

My wife and I were hoping this would be a new version of Third Watch, which we loved. Not the case, apparently. We made it to the end of the episode, but I don't think we'll be back for more.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
ADG
Allan

I agree - third watch was terrific. But it was a one-off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I liked it. Hey, a network show that's good and not so cliched and predictable, although I would have predicted that the little girl from the car accident was fine.

That guy who plays "Herman" has a voice and mannerisms that makes we want to have a beer with him. I know I've seen him in other TV shows...a former child actor?

As with all of these I like spotting where they filmed. I know a guy who owns formerly-$2M 2 story penthouse condo where that warehouse fire at the end was.

The guy who played the mayor was a lousy actor.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
The guy who played the mayor was a lousy actor.
Yeah. Really.

Did anyone really think he looked like a mayor?

Anyway, show was "ok".

Setting up common story lines. Rivals within the group (the rescue vs. truck). One guy on drugs, getting help from a co-worker (hottie blonde EMT). The rookie.

I'll keep watching.

I'm sure those in Chicago can tell us exactly where that fire station is for real, and how much sense it makes for them to be responding to specific incidents based on their location.

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
...I'm sure those in Chicago can tell us exactly where that fire station is for real, and how much sense it makes for them to be responding to specific incidents based on their location.
I think the firehouse is at or near the Chicago Fire Academy on the site of Mrs. O'Leary's barn.

I don't see that station but I think it's right around here. I saw the Maxwell Street sign on the show. This may be the Chicago Fire Department HQ. The fire academy is around the corner on DeKoven Street. Walk aorund and tell me if you see the station.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chica...67.03,,0,24.03

What's a stretch is having them respond all over the city. From there I think, although they may cover the west edge of downtown, they'd be on the near west side.

For the Columbus Drive bridge there's a house in Chicago Avenue in River North. They did show them coming down Wacker Drive which is the real way you'd ge there from the west. The hospital is Northwestern Memorial. I recognized the pedestrian bridge.

You can see Wacker Drive and the Columbus Drive bridge.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=North...60611&t=m&z=15

What gives them leeway, and let's see if they even cover this, when one or both trucks leaves a firehouse, a nearby station sends a truck to locate there so the area still has coverage nearby.

Herman's family were in Wheaton? That's frickin' far! City employees have to live in the city and we know his foreclosed house was in town.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
mrdazzo7

It's disappointing that they didn't stray far from the rule book. I loved "Third Watch" and "Rescue Me" and would have checked out Chicago Fire but I had a feeling it was gonna be the same old crap every network show does...

It sucks that it's that formulaic... sometimes I wonder if people who make TV just never watch TV or read anything shows that are on TV, or have any knowledge of what goes on on TV at all, and have no idea that their stories, characters, and themes have been done, identically, a hundred times before.

That's why basic cable is kicking the crap out of network--they get that you can't just pull this stuff off an assembly line... I think audiences are way more savvy than they used to be and the fact that TV has seriously upped it's game in the past 10-15 years means that if you're gonna put on a show, you have to make it stand out. This show might fly in 00/01 when there was nothing like it on TV, and when high-concept TV was just breaking out, but it doesn't hold up now.

Funny side note: There was a radio commercial for it where different firefighters are doing soundbites about their experiences, etc, and it ends with each one saying a different "identifying" statement:

"I'm a father"
"a son"
"a hero"
"a lesbian"
"a firefighter"

or something... HAHAHA. I was cracking up... I think that was probably the biggest indicator that the people behind the show weren't striving for originality or changing the landscape in anyway. Instead they not only made a female firefighter a lesbian (since they all are I guess), but used that as an identifying trait for that person. Way to bring down social barriers.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I hesitate to admit it, but the muse reminded me where I know "Herman" from. He was Cynthia Nixon's nice guy hubby on "Sex and the City." I cannot believe the GF made me sit through that enough that I knew him.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Where has the lesbian EMT appeared before?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Holy sh*t... the acting in this show is the worst in a generation. I'm holding on to see the scenes shot in my building and then I will wash the memories away with a power washer.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
Where has the lesbian EMT appeared before?
I think briefly on Haw 5-0
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odds Bodkins View Post
Holy sh*t... the acting in this show is the worst in a generation. I'm holding on to see the scenes shot in my building and then I will wash the memories away with a power washer.
The acting is OK. Try Revolution for acting -101.

This week you could see Harray Caray's from one angle and Marina City from the other. I have to look to see if you can see both at the same time. I thought they were a few blocks apart.

It looks like they're going to have another fire at that same warehouse where Herman fell though the floor. They should tear that thing down as a firetrap.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #16
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

FOUND IT! 1360 S. Blue Island.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1360+...C5JyiIiu_xY2_A

Can't imagine why they choose that station. Might be because the rest look pretty dumpy. I'll bet that is one of the newer stations.

Now I wonder what they do with the real crew and trucks while the show is filming. I'll bet they think it's a PIA.

Complete Chicago FD station map: https://data.cityofchicago.org/Publi...Map/hp65-bcxv? This is Engine 18 (E18).
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

nice detective work!

I'm sure they use that station because it's big. And I guess it's one of the more modern ones in the city.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #18
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
It's disappointing that they didn't stray far from the rule book. I loved "Third Watch" and "Rescue Me" and would have checked out Chicago Fire but I had a feeling it was gonna be the same old crap every network show does...
So... you didn't even watch it, but go on to critique it.

Leonard Maltin, is that you?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
nice detective work!

I'm sure they use that station because it's big. And I guess it's one of the more modern ones in the city.
Notice how this station is surrounded by new trees, that aren't anywhere else in the neighborhood. I give them the benefit that the station is that new so the new planting was part of the project for the new building, but hey, it's Chicago. They would have spruced up the hood for the TV production.

I wonder if they filmed even before the crew moved in to the new house.

My point that this station is further away to be serving that part of the Loop stands. You'll see on the map that there are a bunch of engine companies that are closer.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 10-21-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Notice how this station is surrounded by new trees, that aren't anywhere else in the neighborhood. I give them the benefit that the station is that new so the new planting was part of the project for the new building, but hey, it's Chicago. They would have spruced up the hood for the TV production.

I wonder if they filmed even before the crew moved in to the new house.

My point that this station is further away to be serving that part of the Lopp stands. You'll see on the map that there are a bunch of engine companies that are closer.
I wondered the same thing to in the first episode. The station wasn't exactly super close to some of the rescue scenes (thinking of the one where they thought a driver went into the river)

There could be a lot of other logistical reasons for using that station. Big TV shoots need trucks for all the equipment. And trailers for all the actors to hang out in until they are actually ready to shoot scenes. All those vehicles take up space and have to be parked some place. Could be much more room in that neighborhood than one closer into the Loop.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Quote:
The acting is OK. Try Revolution for acting -101.
QFT. Dumped that one after the second episode. Tracy Spiridakos makes me want to strangle baby goldfish.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I wondered the same thing to in the first episode. The station wasn't exactly super close to some of the rescue scenes (thinking of the one where they thought a driver went into the river)

There could be a lot of other logistical reasons for using that station. Big TV shoots need trucks for all the equipment. And trailers for all the actors to hang out in until they are actually ready to shoot scenes. All those vehicles take up space and have to be parked some place. Could be much more room in that neighborhood than one closer into the Loop.
You can allow artistic license. The city is not set up to be the perfect TV studio.

That neighborhood is fairly spare but you can see it's on the verge of going upscale. On street view you'll see lotsa empty lots. I say they choose that firehouse because it's new and has that great clear view of Sears Tower.

It also occurred to me that they designed the firehouse with plenty of driveway room on both sides, and even a arrow showing which way is IN. I can just see the old guys saying, "Kids these days not only can't drive stick dey hafta to design the garage on duh house sos they don't hafta back up duh truck!" Prolly took out the fire pole because the punks can't figure it out. Dey want it to go up, too.

Watching the previews you can see that they shot scenes for multiple episodes in the area. That same "warehouse" (really a loft condo now) is coming back and it is BTW, around the corner from where Mayor Kane was screaming about the pothole on "Boss." They keep going down West Wacker Drive to those sites. That's where the river was. BTW, there's a pretty large ledge with Lower Wacker Drive below the guardrail so the driver would really have to launch to hit the water.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 10-24-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #23
Generic
Now in Dolby Digital

Quote:

What's a stretch is having them respond all over the city.
I remember this being said about the TV show Emergency! where you see them respond on a run in an urban setting followed by a rural setting followed by a beach setting. It was someone on the show that said it would be a pretty boring show if they only showed runs within their own district.

I have no desire to see this show as I know I would just get pissed off by it. I think it will just make the fire service look bad.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Got a full season pick up.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote