TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #151
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I wasn't really asking for the proper pronunciation of the word, I was asking if they were pronouncing it wrong (or different) in Season 1 compared to now.
I know, but you were asking the wrong question, so I answered the one you should have asked.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #152
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Perhaps she crafted a magnet out of some used car batteries and levitated the GPS up there.
is that even possible? how many batteries would you need in series?
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #153
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
Seriously?!
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #154
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Seriously?!
Hi! Are you new here?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #155
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
Quote:
Seriously?!
Geeze, even *I* knew that was zoom-bait!
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #156
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Reality check.

In Season 1, when they stole that first drum of methylamine, I swear that Walt pronounced it "methyl-mae-leen" and now they are pronouncing it "meth-la-mine". I don't know which is correct, but did anyone else notice this? Was the Season 1 pronunciation just incorrect?
Just checked S01E07, the episode where they break in to the warehouse to steal the barrel.

Walt pronounces it "meth-la-meen" and Jesse says "methyl-mine".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #157
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Hi! Are you new here?
Compared to you.....yes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #158
mostman

Quote:
Compared to you.....yes
But not me. I'm ancient
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #159
mrdazzo7

I've been letting last weeks episode marinate a bit and I think whatever their end game is for the Skylar issue they need to put it on the fast track... I absolutely love the show for being dark and messed up, but there's something about her story this season that's so depressing that it's actually literally depressing to watch. I'm fine with it as an arc because it makes sense, but for me I'm hoping whatever their plan is it comes soon.

What I do like about it though is that I think her behavior now is totally realistic. When she decided to get involved, it was under pressure to keep Walt from going to jail, and then so they could help w/ Hank's bills... then they had the danger of Gus if he stopped so she got on board. But now that it's just Walt doing it because he's lost his f'in mind, the dust has settled and the consequenses are catching up with. Normal people don't go from... normal people... to full fledged sociopaths. People being killed, her kids are in danger, highly addictive super drugs filling the street, knowing who was behind her brother-in-law's shooting the whole time, seeing what happened to Ted. I went to lunch the other day and forget to get my coworker's order and I felt bad about that, so I get it. But for the purposes of my enjoyment of the show, I need them to get to the next phase on this one.

The other thing I can't wait to see unfold is what they decide to do with Hank... That story's been in play from day one and they've built it perfectly, I'm almost afraid to see it unfold because the expectations are so high. It's rare that a show can build a confrontation like that for years and have it never be stale or boring. Even though it was "walt vs gus" for a year or two, it's been "walt vs. hank" since day one, Hank just doesn't know it yet.

Hank's gonna be in a bad spot professionally, but to me there's no way that would matter. When he does find out, he's not gonna turn a blind eye to it because the truth could (will) hurt (end) his career. Given what we saw in the premiere, I think Walt is on the run from Hank. He'll catch up to him, there will be a confrontation, and one of them will die. If the series ends with Hank having to kill Walt in some kind of standoff, I'd be ok with that. Knowing Vince Gilligan though I have a feeling Walt's coming out on top in the end, but we'll see.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #160
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I will only disagree on one account: she didn't just do it to keep Walt out of jail. Greed was a factor as well. Hell, she even enjoyed the power for a little while as well.

She flipped when she realized the danger that comes with it. She only realized this when she had to flee her home and live with Hank under protection. This is a very recent development and so I think her reaction from the start to now has been very normal.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #161
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Knowing Vince Gilligan though I have a feeling Walt's coming out on top in the end, but we'll see.
I agree with most of what you wrote, including this. Walt can't die at the end. He can destroy everyone around him, but "nothing stops this train". It's the end of the series, so if Walt dies, so does our imaginagation of what happens to Walt after the show is over. Despite Walt's decline into Scarface, I'm still "rooting" for him. I'm also rooting that Hank catches Walt in the end. But just like the Sopranos series finale, VG can't kill off Walt. He might leave it vague (just like Tony Soprano, who I believe was not killed in the series finale), but it won't be certain.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #162
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I've been letting last weeks episode marinate a bit and I think whatever their end game is for the Skylar issue they need to put it on the fast track... I absolutely love the show for being dark and messed up, but there's something about her story this season that's so depressing that it's actually literally depressing to watch. I'm fine with it as an arc because it makes sense, but for me I'm hoping whatever their plan is it comes soon.
Agree. Shows can get cross into the "I can't stand to watch" area, and I do s
stop watching.

Personally (Yeah. weirdly,) I couldn't sit through "The Office" because it's so much like my real job.

Quote:
What I do like about it though is that I think her behavior now is totally realistic. When she decided to get involved, it was under pressure to keep Walt from going to jail, and then so they could help w/ Hank's bills...
The other thing I can't wait to see unfold is what they decide to do with Hank... That story's been in play from day one and they've built it perfectly, I'm almost afraid to see it unfold because the expectations are so high. It's rare that a show can build a confrontation like that for years and have it never be stale or boring. Even though it was "walt vs gus" for a year or two, it's been "walt vs. hank" since day one, Hank just doesn't know it yet.

Hank's gonna be in a bad spot professionally, but to me there's no way that would matter. When he does find out, he's not gonna turn a blind eye to it because the truth could (will) hurt (end) his career. Given what we saw in the premiere, I think Walt is on the run from Hank. He'll catch up to him, there will be a confrontation, and one of them will die. If the series ends with Hank having to kill Walt in some kind of standoff, I'd be ok with that. Knowing Vince Gilligan though I have a feeling Walt's coming out on top in the end, but we'll see.
You bring up that Hank will have to appreciate that Walt's money paid his bills, while Walt's activities got him almost killed in the first place!

Hank would take his medicine and retire like his old boss did, but he may just try to kill ol' Walt first.

Quote:
I agree with most of what you wrote, including this. Walt can't die at the end. He can destroy everyone around him, but "nothing stops this train". It's the end of the series, so if Walt dies, so does our imaginagation of what happens to Walt after the show is over. Despite Walt's decline into Scarface, I'm still "rooting" for him. I'm also rooting that Hank catches Walt in the end. But just like the Sopranos series finale, VG can't kill off Walt. He might leave it vague (just like Tony Soprano, who I believe was not killed in the series finale), but it won't be certain.
Chase did intend that Tony Soprano bought it in the end - from Mr. Member's Only.

Vince Gilligan is answering questions about a Breaking Bad movie with "maybe" so we can guess that Walt is going to come out alive.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #163
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

Chase did intend that Tony Soprano bought it in the end - from Mr. Member's Only.
What does this mean? I read that he specifically left it ambiguous in the end. Maybe at some point he was going to kill off TS, but as far as the Series finale, he decided to leave it up to the viewer to decide.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #164
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
What does this mean? I read that he specifically left it ambiguous in the end. Maybe at some point he was going to kill off TS, but as far as the Series finale, he decided to leave it up to the viewer to decide.
I vaguely recall Chase saying that Tony is no more.
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #165
Hank
AC•FTW

I'm pretty sure that you heard that wrong.. otherwise there wouldn't have been months of debate if Tony was shot or not in that last scene. If Chase wanted him killed off, I think he would have been slightly less ambiguous about it.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #166
robojerk

Wink

Quote:
I read that too somewhere. The screen going black was to symbolize his death or something.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #167
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Am I in the wrong thread?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #168
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I read that too somewhere. The screen going black was to symbolize his death or something.
That's just what some people (fans) think. If Tony was supposed to die, then Chase would have said that somewhere. As far as I know, he's never said anything even close to that. Let's not start the entire debate again.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #169
brianric

Quote:
Am I in the wrong thread?

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #170
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I didn't take her dip in the pool as her pretending to be suicidal - I read it as a real attempt (though a somewhat non-committal one given the fact that a rational person would realize it wouldn't work and she'd certainly be saved). She wasn't rational in that moment, though; she succumbed to the siren call of the water. I don't think there was a "if I do this, then I can get Hank and Marie to take the kids" higher thought process behind it, Walt's accusation notwithstanding. If anything, it was a silent cry for help.
Listening to the Breaking Bad Insider podcast for this episode, they pretty clearly state that Skylar planned on the swimming pool stunt as a way to get the kids to safety, and they say that if you look at Skylar's face as she's standing on the edge of the pool while Walt is talking, you can see the moment when the plan crystalizes for her and she decides to do it.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #171
robojerk

Quote:
That's just what some people (fans) think. If Tony was supposed to die, then Chase would have said that somewhere. As far as I know, he's never said anything even close to that. Let's not start the entire debate again.
But you're fun to watch.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #172
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I vaguely recall Chase saying that Tony is no more.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that you heard that wrong.. otherwise there wouldn't have been months of debate if Tony was shot or not in that last scene. If Chase wanted him killed off, I think he would have been slightly less ambiguous about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ticle-1.231236
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/nov...-davidchase9/2
http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.co...on-of-the-end/

Enuf from me.
UVerse and OTA

Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #173
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ
Listening to the Breaking Bad Insider podcast for this episode, they pretty clearly state that Skylar planned on the swimming pool stunt as a way to get the kids to safety, and they say that if you look at Skylar's face as she's standing on the edge of the pool while Walt is talking, you can see the moment when the plan crystalizes for her and she decides to do it.
Yep, I heard that too. I read the scene wrong.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #174
Hank
AC•FTW

What? I don't get at all what you're saying here, none of these articles say definitiively that Chase killed TS in the end:

Quote:
This article says nothing about Tony's demise:

About that ending

The set contains the customary "lost scenes" and commentaries by the show's stars and creative team, plus a two-part Alec Baldwin interview with Chase and a lively round-table dinner discussion with the cast and crew about the show and its legacy. (And no -- spoiler alert -- they don't explain the ending in which Tony, seated with his wife and son at a diner, looks up at his daughter's presumed arrival only to have the screen go abruptly to black.)

Quote:
This article says he didn't get killed, but it's still vague:

So were those onion rings Tony's last meal?
Chase says that Tony did not get whacked, as many fans speculated when their screens faded to black following the restaurant scene that ended the storied TV series (and which Hillary Clinton later parodied in a campaign ad).
In "The Sopranos: The Complete Book," Chase berates fans for obsessing over the ending.

Quote:
OMG -- this guy again? This PhD Dissertation of the Death of Tony Soprano is nothing more than his own personal, extremely biased interpretation of the ending. Despite the "revealing" radio interviews of Chase, Chase *still* doesn't say anything definitive about the ending. Just because he can pick out 100 different "clues" that indicate that he might have been killed, doesn't actually mean he was killed.

Just because you killed Jesse James don't make you Jesse James

So are you agreeing with me or trying to support that TS was whacked? I'm not sure how to interpret "Enuf from me." Nothing you posted actually supported your assertion.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #175
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
She flipped when she realized the danger that comes with it. She only realized this when she had to flee her home and live with Hank under protection. This is a very recent development and so I think her reaction from the start to now has been very normal.
I think another huge eye-opener for Skyler was when she went to visit Benneke in the hospital out of genuine concern for him, and then saw the terror in his eyes when he saw her and associated the thugs who came to see him on her behalf, which led to his bumbling escape attempt which landed him in hospital.

Quote:
I'm not sure how to interpret "Enuf from me."
Let me help you out on that one.
ENOUGH!
- from me.

His post meant that he was giving his evidence, and then he was done talking about Sopranos in a BB thread. Please quit beating the horse. It's been dead for years.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #176
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
His post meant that he was giving his evidence, and then he was done talking about Sopranos in a BB thread. Please quit beating the horse. It's been dead for years.
Sorry, but this is a new horse. He's saying that Chase made a definitive statement about the ending. I said he didn't. He posted three links to support his assertion. NONE of those links do that (not even close!). So just posting three links to pages that talk about it, and saying "enuf from me" doesn't support his argument one little bit. Since I took the time to read all of those links (in case I was wrong, I'd like to know), I'm just pointing this out.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #177
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post

More fly stuff in this episode: in the scene at the end where Walt decides the train must keep moving, he is sitting on a couch. On the wall behind his head is a poster all about different types of flies. I assume they were in the exterminator's office, so the poster makes sense in context, but I'm sure the particular poster used was chosen deliberately.
I noticed the fly stuff too. This episode was directed by the same person who directed the episode titled "fly" - Rian Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Speaking of camera shots that stood out to you, anyone else intrigued when they returned from commercial to a shot of Skyler wrapping one end of floss around her finger?

The floss reminded me of the opening credits for Dexter. The blood running down walt's head also reminded me of Dexter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
A mother will do absolutely anything she thinks will keep her kids safe, no matter the cost to herself.
Yes, she will.

Now that Hank sees Walt as a cuckold it will be even harder for him to imagine milquetoast Walt as Heisenberg.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #178
robojerk

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #179
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
I'm just pointing this out.
... Just reminding you that this is a Breaking Bad thread. We are not interested in your thoughts on a bygone show (as great as it was) in this particular thread. You could just PM the guy and spare the rest of us.

Back on topic, I also think Hank (the BB character) does not have Walt on his radar yet as pertaining to blue meth or Heisenberg. Especially after this episode. His perception would be based on Hank as the cancer survivor who has had to endure a cheating wife and a gambling addiction, but has come out on top as a "millionaire car wash" owner/entrepreneur. I would think that Hank sees Walt as the benevolent underdog/survivor.

Last edited by getreal : 08-13-2012 at 01:02 AM.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote