TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
markp99
TakoKichi

Will Premiere play nicely with my S3?

Curious to know how the Premiere will interact with my S3.

I presume I would need to maintain my S3 sub to take advantage of functionality, beyond OTA. Correct?

What about the S3 cable cards, can I dump these in lieu of an antenna, and still play with the Premiere??

Thanks
markp99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Curious to know how the Premiere will interact with my S3.

I presume I would need to maintain my S3 sub to take advantage of functionality, beyond OTA. Correct?

What about the S3 cable cards, can I dump these in lieu of an antenna, and still play with the Premiere??

Thanks
Multi Room Streaming only works between Premieres. If your cable company does not restrict coping of the data Multi Room Viewing does work just fine between a S3 and Premiere. You can use cable with the Premiere and OTA with the S3 without any issues. OTA recordings can be transfered using multi room viewing.

Regarding pricing your best options are to buy lifetime for the Premiere which will be $399 with the multi service discount. After that if you threaten to cancel the service on your S3 they will likely offer you lifetime for $99.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
mattack

But he can still transfer from the PREMIERE TO the S3, right? I presume so (you mention the other way around)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

With the exception of streaming, the two should play nicely together.
IOW, everything that can be done between two S3 units can be done between an S3 unit and an S4 unit.
The S3 will not suddenly have any capabilities that it didn't have before. Don't expect anything more.

Edit after re-reading the OP (again ):
Yes, you can dump the cablecards from the S3 and still MRV OTA programming from the S3 to the Premiere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-17-2012 at 11:05 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
pmiranda

They play well together. The hardest part for me was getting them set up with different codes on my Harmony remote since the remote's software doesn't tell you which alternate codes correspond to which TiVo codes. I also had to screw around with the splitters to get good signal to both. I ended up using a 3way splitter to feed each TiVo it's own signal and a 2way to feed the two tuning adapters.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
But he can still transfer from the PREMIERE TO the S3, right? I presume so (you mention the other way around)
Yes assuming MRV isn't blocked by the cable company.

I will mention that in the past (at least a year ago) I had an issue with transferring programs from the Premiere to a S3, where the S3 grossly overestimated the amount of free space required to complete the transfer. As such I lost about 50 GB of recordings when transferring a 12 GB recording as my S3 decided it needed 50 GB of free space. I haven't actually done a transfer to my S3 in a while so I don't know if this is still an issue or not, but since the S3 hasn't gotten updated software in a while it's probably still an issue.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I will mention that in the past (at least a year ago) I had an issue with transferring programs from the Premiere to a S3, where the S3 grossly overestimated the amount of free space required to complete the transfer. As such I lost about 50 GB of recordings when transferring a 12 GB recording as my S3 decided it needed 50 GB of free space.
Interesting, I notice that as a general issue on my S3/TivoHD.. (Well, my S3 is dead, but I noticed the behavior on both compared to my S1s)

That is, I would notice that far more deleted programs or suggestions would be deleted than would seem to be needed.. Also, I would notice they'd go away HOURS before they were needed.. whereas the S1 seems to delete 'just in time'.

(YES, I *know* shows can vary in size.. I am taking that into account.. not just "1 hour of shows went away when I recorded only a half hour", but way more disk space nuked than contained in the newly made recordings..)

Though I guess I've gotten used to it, and/or it isn't as bad as it used to be (years ago). It is more of an issue with tiny hard drives.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote