TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
A Quick Way to View Shows Stored on Media Server

I have been pretty busy and unfortunately I have 365 shows that I have not watched just yet. Right now, you have to choose that folder and scan all he way down to the bottom.

Is there an easier way to get to these shows? Can they be renamed or something so that I can maybe have them by month (going thru 30 shows would be a lot easier)?

Or would the Plus help me in any way (or another program)?

I converted a couple to play on the Nexus 7 - I guess I could try to convert them to burn them to a DVD.

Any thoughts / ideas / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank youo!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Organize them into folders and you'll see them that way with KMTTG, DLNA and such.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You can press the Skip key ("->|") to jump to the end of the list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreybryant View Post
I have been pretty busy and unfortunately I have 365 shows that I have not watched just yet. Right now, you have to choose that folder and scan all he way down to the bottom.

Is there an easier way to get to these shows? Can they be renamed or something so that I can maybe have them by month (going thru 30 shows would be a lot easier)?

Or would the Plus help me in any way (or another program)?

I converted a couple to play on the Nexus 7 - I guess I could try to convert them to burn them to a DVD.

Thank youo!

Assuming you're running the free version of TiVo Desktop, when you go to the bottom of the TiVo's Now Playing List you'll see a folder named whatever you've named the computer, network-wise.

But the contents of that folder aren't everything on all of the computer's hard drive(s), it's just the content of the My TiVo Recordings folder.

You can create sub-folders inside that folder.

You do it on the computer. Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), or perhaps My Computer (I prefer Explorer for the folders on the left pane and the files on the right pane), and do it there.

Then sort.

You could, for example, have a sub-folder named CBS. Inside that you could have more sub-folders named, for example, Blue Bloods, Person of Interest, Good Wife, The Mentalist, et cetera, and sort the individual shows (.tivo files) into those folders.

You can even have other partitions, perhaps on other hard drives on that same PC, and put a shortcut to them in the MTR folder to accomodate even more shows.

All of the partions you store .tivo files on (on a Windows PC) should be formatted NTFS, because of the 2GB file size limit of FAT32 partitions.

I've even got an older Buffalo Link Station Pro network drive mapped to a drive letter, and if I put a shortcut to it in the MTR folder, I can access .tivo files on it from the NPL.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks - I'll try both of those both of those - I really want to catch up on the shows.

I'll be happy to upgrade to the TiVoŽ Desktop Plus if that will help also, but I just did not see it. I was not certain if it would actually convert the .tivo to a file that could be played on the Nexus 7 (Android 4.X) and I ended up going with Pavtube Video Converter which did work.

Do I just need to Pause the TiVo Server or does that matter?
Old 11-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Thanks - I'll try both of those both of those - I really want to catch up on the shows.

I'll be happy to upgrade to the TiVoŽ Desktop Plus if that will help also, but I just did not see it. I was not certain if it would actually convert the .tivo to a file that could be played on the Nexus 7 (Android 4.X) and I ended up going with Pavtube Video Converter which did work.

Do I just need to Pause the TiVo Server or does that matter?
The TiVo Server, by which I assume you mean the little TiVo guy in the bottom left near the clock, is what facilitates copying shows to and from the computer, so I'm pretty sure it needs to be unpaused if you want to copy anything back to the TiVo from the PC.

As for Plus, I never bought it, but as I understand it, it's only necessary to convert the .tivo files into something you can load onto one of those fancy expensive trendy mobile devices, none of which I've ever owned, either.

So if all you've got are PCs and TiVos, the free version should be fine.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:

I would recommend getting Video Redo, and I would reommend pyTivo and kmttg.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
I tried that I was not sucessful in the installation, etc, lrhorer.

So creating these folders - say Nov 2011. I go to where they are store (J:\Tivo) - create 201111 and copy the files into that one?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:

So creating these folders - say Nov 2011. I go to where they are store (J:\Tivo) - create 201111 and copy the files into that one?
Somewhere you have a folder called "My TiVo Recordings"

TiVo Desktop installs it when you install TiVo Desktop.

Launch TiVo Desktop.

Click on File, click on Preferences.

The Preferences box has 4 tabs, the leftmost one is "Files" and it'll show you where the MTR folder is, and let you change that location if you want to.

If you do change it, you'll have to manually move any .tivo files you already have from the old one to the new one.

Or you could leave it where it is, probably somewhere on the C: drive, and if you have a folder called TiVo on your J: drive where your .tivo files are, you can create a shortcut to that folder inside your MTR folder and when you go into the Now Playing List on the TiVo and go to the bottom where there's a folder with the computer name, inside that folder will be whatever .tivo files are still in the MTR folder, and another folder named TiVo. That folder represents the TiVo folder on the J: drive for which you created a shortcut in the MTR folder, and inside that folder you'll see the shows which are the .tivo files on your J: drive.

Now when you use Desktop to copy new shows from the TiVo, they will wind up in the MTR folder, wherever it is.

If you have a lot more room on the J: drive than the C: drive, you should probably change the location of the MTR folder to the J: drive.

Then, the folder with the name of the computer in the NPL will point to it.

You can create folders inside it, and folders inside them.

So for example you could have J:\My TiVo Recordings\2012\November and J:\My TiVo Recordings\2012\December on a computer named "MediaPC", and at the bottom of the TiVo's NPL would be a folder called MediaPC.

Inside that folder would be a folder called 2012 and inside that folder would be two folders.

I leave it to you to figure out what those two folders will be called.

Remember, the MTR folder on the PC, wherever it is on the PC, shows up in the NPL on the TiVo as a folder with the computer name for its name.

Anything on the computer that's not in the MTR folder, or in something "shortcutted" into the MTR folder, will not be visible anywhere on the TiVo's NPL, no matter what you name the folder on the computer.

It may be possible to tell Desktop to use a folder with a name other than My TiVo Recordings, but that seems like asking for unneccessary confusion.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #10
lrhorer

Quote:

Is there an easier way to get to these shows?
Yes, several.

Quote:
Can they be renamed or something so that I can maybe have them by month (going thru 30 shows would be a lot easier)?
That is one method, although probably not the easiest or most convenient. You could, for example, create a directory for each group of videos, grouped perhaps by month, or by some other distinction. Move each video into the appropriate group. As long as all the directories are on one physical drive, moving the videos around only takes a few moments.

With pyTivo / vidmgr, the name of the video shown on the TiVo is derived from the show's metafile, not its file name. Thus "Abyss, The (Recorded Thu Apr 05, 2012, ENCRHD).mp4" shows up on the Tivo as The Abyss, and "Harry Potter 01 and the Sorcerers Stone (Recorded Wed Jun 20, 2012, MAXHD).mp4" shows up as "...and the Sorcerers Stone" with "Harry Potter" at the top of the screen:

Or in vidmgr:

Quote:
Or would the Plus help me in any way
No. It just costs money.

Quote:
(or another program)?
Yes. Although the simple version of what you want (separate folders) can be done under TDT, a display like the one above cannot very readily.

Quote:
PyTivo can be used, along with metadata, to produce an output like the above. Vidmgr allows for far more sophisticated processing, with all sorts of grouping and sorting options based upon the metadata. Either approach takes a little bit of work with the metafiles.

In addition to the ability to sort and organize the videos in a very fine grained fashion, vidmgr also provides the ability to more easily manage long lists of videos. In the NPL, pressing the skip key will jump successively to the end and then to the start of the current list. Vidmgr offers a much more tuned approach. Pressing 1 skips 10% of the way down the list. Pressing 2 skips 20% of the way down the list, etc. With 365 videos in a list, vidmgr would allow you to skip to #36, #73, #108, etc., from anywhere in the list. Believe me, this is a real time saver if, like me, you wind up with more than 1000 folders and videos in the main share.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-04-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
You are not being clear, I'm afraid. What did you try to install, and how? We are happy to help, but you need to describe your actions in more detail and make your questions more specific if we are to help you.

Quote:
You do not want to do a copy, as that would take a very long time and use up a great deal of disk space for no reason, not to mention creating a lot of clutter. Otherwise, yes, you can create a folder J:\Tivo\201111. Right click and drag all the videos you want to move to that folder, and when the dialogue pops up, click on "Move here". If you like, you can create another folder J:\Tivo\201112, and move another group of files there, and so forth. Name the directories whatever you like, although I woud avoid special characters like /, \, ?, *, :, ', or ". Spaces may not be the best choice, either.

Another approach, if you don't run TDT, is to create the directories as mentioned, and then create links (shortcuts) to the files in the main directory. I used to do that all the time, before vidmgr was created, and I still do for videos I have not yet verified to be free of errors and for which I have not updated the metafiles.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-04-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
As for Plus, I never bought it, but as I understand it, it's only necessary to convert the .tivo files into something you can load onto one of those fancy expensive trendy mobile devices, none of which I've ever owned, either.
I'm also given to understand it allows pushes to the TiVo, as well as pulls, and it supports some additional file formats. PyTivo does both for free.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
coreybryant
Texan at Heart

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sorry, it was pyTivo that I did not have luck.

I tried the folder - you could see the folder from the TiVo, but it said no shows were there.

I basically turned off the TiVo Desktop, created the folder and copied some of the shows - I used robocopy and it only took a few minutes.

The skip key (to the end) seemed to work well though. I can use that, delete the shows as I go. That seems to be the easiest.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
Sorry, it was pyTivo that I did not have luck.
You are still not being clear. WHAT did you try? What were the exact steps? You also probably need to post your pyTivo.conf file here.

Quote:
I tried the folder - you could see the folder from the TiVo, but it said no shows were there.
What folder? In the Now Playing List (My shows on the Premiere), there will be a separate folder for every vidoe share (denoted by "type=video" in the share block) you define in pyTivo.conf.