Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
Ruth
Now with toddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I'm fairly certain that for all the same reasons they require the teams to pay their tickets, they also would require teams to do everything you suggested. In this case, it was a very minor ding caused by a telephone pole, and there likely wasn't damage to the pole. If a team ever got into an accident where injuries, significant damage, and/or police were involved, I'm positive the Race producers would ensure that all laws and rules were complied with.
Well, the way it was presented in the episode didn't convey any of that. Yes, it was a minor accident, but it was an accident nonethess. And they didn't really know how minor it was, since they didn't even bother to get out and look! (It actually looked like a couple thousand dollars in body damage to me.) The team didn't even look to see how bad it was, expressed no concern about the damage they'd done to the vehicle or possibly the pole, and failed to try to determine whether local law might require reporting the incident. And there was no monetary or time penalty that was discussed or shown, nor did the team express any concern that they might be penalized.

My point is that, as part of the show, the teams themselves should be required to do due diligence to make sure they didn't cause any damage, deal with insurance paperwork, and make sure they are permitted to lawfully leave the accident scene. They shouldn't just drive off and pretend it didn't happen, relying on the producers to step in for them if it turned out to be a bigger problem than the teams realized. The teams themselves should have to take some responsibility when an incident happens -- even though it would slow them down.

They did not show anything like that in this episode at all, and evidently weren't penalized at all. I just think it's poor form.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #32
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

The cameraman got out and looked.

IMO it was so minor that driving away was okay.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #33
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Well, the way it was presented in the episode didn't convey any of that. Yes, it was a minor accident, but it was an accident nonethess. And they didn't really know how minor it was, since they didn't even bother to get out and look! (It actually looked like a couple thousand dollars in body damage to me.) The team didn't even look to see how bad it was, expressed no concern about the damage they'd done to the vehicle or possibly the pole, and failed to try to determine whether local law might require reporting the incident. And there was no monetary or time penalty that was discussed or shown, nor did the team express any concern that they might be penalized.

My point is that, as part of the show, the teams themselves should be required to do due diligence to make sure they didn't cause any damage, deal with insurance paperwork, and make sure they are permitted to lawfully leave the accident scene. They shouldn't just drive off and pretend it didn't happen, relying on the producers to step in for them if it turned out to be a bigger problem than the teams realized. The teams themselves should have to take some responsibility when an incident happens -- even though it would slow them down.

They did not show anything like that in this episode at all, and evidently weren't penalized at all. I just think it's poor form.
There was a cameraman filming as they backed into the pole, so clearly there were Race representatives right there to check it out and see what needed to happen. Given that it was a wooden telephone pole, and the impact was very minor, there's not really anything that should have been done at the site. If you bumped into a telephone pole, and did no visible damage to the pole, would you call the utility company and report it?

As for the damage to the car, that's a different story. It can be assessed somewhere else, and it was surely covered by the Race insurance. Think about it this way:
*These teams are dropped into foreign countries with no knowledge of local laws or customs,
*They have little to no experience driving on the left side of the road,
*They are not familiar with the area, the roads, and they are often lost,
*They are in a contest where speed is a factor,
*All of this is for the financial benefit of the producers of the TV show.

Given those parameters, I think it's perfectly appropriate that the TV show assume responsibility for any minor damage that happens to a vehicle (or telephone pole).

Another way to think about it is the TV show they're producing would be much less interesting if a team ended up stranded at the site of a minor accident dealing with authorities for any length of time. It would virtually assure that team is eliminated and would remove any tension from the rest of the episode.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #34
verdugan

Quote:
Yes, it was a minor accident, but it was an accident nonethess. ... (It actually looked like a couple thousand dollars in body damage to me.)
I hope that if I ever get into a car accident you're not my claims adjuster. :-)

It was clear that it was a minor accident. The pole was fine.

And skippy is right, at least the camera man got out. Remember that we only see what the editors wanted to see. Maybe the couple did get out and check the damage, but if there was no drama in the footage, the chances of it making it on the air were small.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #35
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieambles View Post
Are you under the impression that Botswana has an externsive crime fighter network of information that they share with airport security? I'm not. Hell, we wouldn't know that here.
I thought here there was some legal checking before you leave the country -- e.g. check that you're a wanted criminal.

I just meant to expand that to include any debts you owe (which would include parking tickets).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #36
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post

Probably more along the lines of "remember to keep left."
This is exactly what I thought.

And really? Two teams mistake a rhino for a hippo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #37
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought here there was some legal checking before you leave the country -- e.g. check that you're a wanted criminal.

I just meant to expand that to include any debts you owe (which would include parking tickets).
Again, how would they know? This is not a country where the use of computers is extensive. Even in the US, there is no way the ICE has any idea that I might owe money for a parking ticket/moving violation before I left the country.
rosieambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #38
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
This is exactly what I thought.

And really? Two teams mistake a rhino for a hippo?
I think the picture was a HIPPO with the BIRD on it's head. The issue was that there was no Hippo picture but they needed a large animal and chose the Rhino as the closest available choice. ( not understanding that the bird was what they wanted). I can't check since the episode is long gone.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #39
jeff92k7

I thought it was only one team, the girls who got eliminated, that mistook the rhino for a hippo. The mullet team looked at the rhino tile and said that it was a rhino but the animal they saw was a hippo. The camera was focused on the rhino tile at the time.

All the other teams did the firewood/donkey challenge.
jeff92k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #40
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Are you under the impression that Botswana has an externsive crime fighter network of information that they share with airport security? I'm not. Hell, we wouldn't know that here.
We probably wouldn't know speed limits in Botswana either. But that doesn't seem to stop some of us from speculating on them.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #41
eddyj

I can't believe how quickly the girls decided to switch tasks. Sometimes, teams wait too long, but in this case, they did not seem to give it much of a try.

Maybe they just figured that the brain task was better, because as they kept on telling us, they are so smart.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #42
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

I think the picture was a HIPPO with the BIRD on it's head. The issue was that there was no Hippo picture but they needed a large animal and chose the Rhino as the closest available choice. ( not understanding that the bird was what they wanted). I can't check since the episode is long gone.
The problem for the girls was that there wasn't a hippo tile and the hippo want one of the 10 animals they were supposed to find. They missed the ostrich and then were trying to use the hippo, but the closest tile was a rhino and that didn't count.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #43
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I can't believe how quickly the girls decided to switch tasks. Sometimes, teams wait too long, but in this case, they did not seem to give it much of a try.

Maybe they just figured that the brain task was better, because as they kept on telling us, they are so smart.
Hard to really tell how long they tried to get the mules moving. Given some of the uncooperative animals on past seasons, they probably thought they could blow the brain challenge out quickly after the mules wouldn't move and didn't want to waste time trying to get them going.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #44
eddyj

It seemed they quit before anyone else had gotten theirs loaded and moving. Although that could just be the editing, it didn't seem like they gave it much of a try.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
It seemed they quit before anyone else had gotten theirs loaded and moving. Although that could just be the editing, it didn't seem like they gave it much of a try.
How many ways can you pull a mule with a rope?
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #46
eddyj

How many times, or how long? I've been accused of being as stubborn as a mule.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #47
gschrock

The hippo/bird tile bothered me some. Because what they had when they did the ride through was a bird on top of a hippo. Then when they do the tiles, they had the bird and no hippo tile provided. I'd argue that nobody got it right, because they're all missing an animal. Just seemed to me like a cheap way to get the contestants to screw up. (Then again, I don't have much sympathy for anyone that thinks a rhino is a hippo.)
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #48
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
How many ways can you pull a mule with a rope?
Maybe they could have switched mules. The others didn't seem to be having as much trouble. It would have taken less time than completely switching tasks.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #49
laria
Librocubicularist

MY MULE IS BROKEN!

x
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #50
ElJay

Quote:
Plus, I just think it's really bad form to allow teams to walk away from an accident without even checking to see if they caused any property damage to someone else's property. What if they hit a local's car, or were in an injury accident? Would they be able to just do a hit-and-run and drive off without even getting out of the car? I think the Race should be requiring responsible behavior -- get out of the car, check for damage, own up to what you did, fill out any required paperwork for insurance or police report purposes, etc. -- not just drive away and pretend it never happened.
In previous seasons I seem to recall teams hitting other vehicles and being delayed to deal with the consequences. In this situation the team hit a pole at a very low rate of speed, which caused some cosmetic damage to the vehicle. Since the pole was still standing and didn't appear to be damaged, I don't know what else they were supposed to do at that point. I guess they could've walked back into the police station and demanded a ticket for failure to maintain control of the vehicle or some such crap like that.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #51
Waldorf
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
In previous seasons I seem to recall teams hitting other vehicles and being delayed to deal with the consequences. In this situation the team hit a pole at a very low rate of speed, which caused some cosmetic damage to the vehicle. Since the pole was still standing and didn't appear to be damaged, I don't know what else they were supposed to do at that point. I guess they could've walked back into the police station and demanded a ticket for failure to maintain control of the vehicle or some such crap like that.
Season 7, Brian and Greg rolled their Rover and injured their cameraman. They had to wait for a replacement vehicle. This was also the first season with the rule change to say no one team member could complete more than six or seven roadblocks.

Quote:
"We were pumped. We were in second place and we were just jamming. We were going the speed limit — we weren't doing anything crazy on the road — but we were behind Ron & Kelly. They were pushing up a lot to us, so we backed off them for awhile. All of a sudden, there's grooves in the road and there's like little ridges on the side and Brian bumped over one of them and got out of the rut in the road and tried to pull it back and over corrected.

"He was slowing down so it didn't flip really; it just landed on one side. But it was scary. I didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't know if we were going to get a new car. We had two guys that were injured. One guy was really injured so we had to help him out and get support."

"We waited there forty-five minutes for this new jeep," adds Brian. "And the whole time we're like... I mean, the producers showed up and the crew and there were all these trucks around helping out, because our camera guy couldn't get up. We were worried about him but, at the time, I'm like, 'Greg, we really need to get out of here. We're not out of it. We need to get a car.' But we're like, 'Hey, are we getting a car?' And they're like, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah.' But they really weren't too worried about getting us going, they were worried about the injuries.

"So we were worried about them and about getting our car. And finally a new one showed up and we drove out of there. It was crazy."

Old 04-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #52
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

I have driven in Africa quite a bit, and speed traps like the one shown are pretty common. One one road trip, we got caught in two different ones about 30 km apart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #53
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I seem to remember there was another incident where a team ran over a low post and ripped their radiator open - water poured out everywhere. They were unable to continue in it and had to wait for a replacement.

I seriously doubt there would be any chance of breaking major laws on a show like this. After all, the whole purpose is to film, therefore record anything that happens - instant proof!

Not only would they not be able to film again if they let it go, but they would ruin for any other film crew that wanted permission in the future.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #54
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The lie about we thought it was 120 was stupid. I'd wager that isn't anywhere in Botswana where it is that high.
You would be wrong:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ro...ns_in_Botswana
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #55
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Point taken. It is not clear that this is a real sign is it or are they examples. Obviously, they have a variety of limit including the 60 KPH we saw.

Regardless, when I was in Tanzania, I know the roads were too bad to go that fast.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #56
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Hippo?

verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #57
remington24601

http://trade.botswanatourism.us/trade5.html

Quote:
The national speed limit on tarred roads is 120km/h (75mi/h), while through towns and villages the speed limit is 60km/h (37mi/h), even in the absence of a sign.

remington24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #58
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Anybody else having TAR withdrawal this week?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #59
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Anybody else having TAR withdrawal this week?
Not me. Somehow I forgot to watch this episode last week (), so I watched in Sunday night.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #60
andyw715

Jennifer Wayne (half of the blond country singers team) is the 2013 NC Azalea Festival Queen. She'll be in town yesterday trough the weekend.

Emily Maynard (batchelorette) is here as we'll this weekend, along with a few other celebs.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote