TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Battle of the Network Stars

Remember this show from back in the late 70's where stars from the different networks would compete in games?

It is currently being shown on ESPN Classic.

Looks like they are showing 5 episodes today in a row, starting 30 minutes ago.

And I don't see it in the guide again until 6/4.

So if you have remote recording ability, and want to catch it, better be quick!

Currently watching CBS vs ABC playing football. Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, Scott Baio, Jeff Conaway, etc
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

I saw some of those a few months ago. Great fun. Some of the stars were good athletes. Best part was Lynda Carter in a swimsuit.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Raises hand. I think SNL did a skit on "Battle of the Network T&A" with "the Biggest T's, and the nicest A's".
Old 05-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
Best part was Lynda Carter in a swimsuit.
Spoiler Alert!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
mattack

Didn't they do a pretty bad attempted revival in the past 10 years or so?

I loved these shows as a kid, and think you COULD still do a good one... (even if you "updated" it, had Ryan Seacrest hosting or something.. of course, having Kotter host it would be best as Cosell is no longer around.) and heck, we allegedly have 5 or so networks nowadays.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I used to like this. It was an offshoot of the show "Superstars" where they got athletes of different sports to compete in "generic" contests to see who was the best overall athlete. They did essentially the same thing with celebrities.

So those of you who think shows like Survivor and other reality contests are new concepts, should watch these and realize that it all comes from the 70s. The difference is then, it was mostly summer replacement fare. Today, it's PRIME programming!!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Didn't they do a pretty bad attempted revival in the past 10 years or so?
There was a revival, but I think it was in the 1990s. You may be thinking of the attempted Superstars revival, which I think was ruined by (a) having celebrity-and-athlete teams (the original was mainly just athletes, although they did have a celebrities-only version at one point), (b) some really strange events (example: both teammates have to get from Point A to Point B, and the team has one bicycle - one competitor rides, then decides where to leave the bike and run the remaining distance; the teammate walks to where the bike was dropped off and rides the rest of the way), and (c) constantly shuffling the teams around because of injuries and dropouts (I think Terrell Owens dropped out in the middle of the competition because he had to report to training camp).

I have a feeling BotNS had the same problem as Circus of the Stars; a lot of celebrities want to do it...once. After a while, it becomes Battle/Circus of the C-List Celebrities.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
Raises hand. I think SNL did a skit on "Battle of the Network T&A" with "the Biggest T's, and the nicest A's".
Oh yeah...I remember that!

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/78atsas.phtml

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Azlen

Bravo did a Battle of the Network Reality Stars a few years ago that was a take off on this. Board favorite Matt Gould from Joe Schmo was one of the competitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_..._Reality_Stars
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I remember watching these shows with my dad, who only watched for wet celebrity women. Linda Carter was the highlight, yes.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Soze View Post
They also parody it on SCTV as "Battle of the PBS stars".

Battle of the PBS Stars

Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
alpacaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
I remember watching these shows with my dad, who only watched for wet celebrity women. Linda Carter was the highlight, yes.
I remember one year, the announcer (Cosell?) musing/leering, "Locklear or Thomas..."
alpacaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Not to go too far off topic, but I found and well remember this.

Battle of the PBS Stars Football Game

Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacaboy View Post
I remember one year, the announcer (Cosell?) musing/leering, "Locklear or Thomas..."
And they never gave them proper bathing suits, either! They were one piece, but I grew up at the public pool, PRAYING the suits would be as revealing. Nope, never happened.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote