TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
escrge
TiVo Owner Since '99

New Netflix App

So I turn on the bedroom TV this morning to see I've received the new service update. With excitement, I checked out the new YouTube and Netflix apps. YouTube looked exactly the same. Netflix returned an error and wouldn't load. Probably needs a reboot. (I hope.)

Went upstairs to find YouTube and Netflix working properly but both are extremely sluggish. In Netflix, pressing PAUSE results in a 4-5 second lag before it actually pauses. Very annoying when reaching for a ringing telephone.

I'll probably stick to my Apple TV for Netflix & YouTube content.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
escrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
lujan

The Premiere seems to be more sluggish in general after the update. It's not just Netflix but everything seems more sluggish.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Eamus Catuli

I can't even get to Netflix properly. Here's what's happening for me:

1) go to Netflix app
2) the next screen (after a lengthy delay) asks "Are you a Netflix Member?" to which I answer Yes
3) the next screen is "Member Sign In" and gives me an email and password input box. Problem is I have a remote with no keyboard to enter anything.

In the old app, I seem to remember having an activation code to link to Netflix (via netflix.com) so it knew to bring up my Netflix account on the Tivo.

Any ideas what to try??
Old 05-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Ky_Shag
Shaggy Dog

click on email then you can enter info with remote
same with password
Ky_Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Eamus Catuli

Thanks!! Yup, clicking on "Select" in the input box brings up the onscreen keyboard. Thought I'd tried that but obviously not. Now I can check it out.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
premiereman

It sucks that there are no audio tones anymore when you navigate within the Netflix and Youtube menus now. :/
premiereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #7
looter

Can you do nothing more in the app than view your Instant Queue and watch the shows in it? If you can do more please point me in the direction of the instructions.
looter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #8
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by looter View Post
Can you do nothing more in the app than view your Instant Queue and watch the shows in it? If you can do more please point me in the direction of the instructions.
Haven't seen instructions, but when you 1st enter application if you keep pressing down arrow you can go beyond your instant queue to "Recently Watched" or "Popular on Netflix", etc. Or of course you can also go up to "Search" as well to search for titles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes just like the Netflix apps on other devices.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
The Premiere seems to be more sluggish in general after the update. It's not just Netflix but everything seems more sluggish.
Too funny. Others were claiming it's much faster. Eye of the beholder.

Earlier in the year we had a member actually benchmark common functions. It was awesome, but apparently he/she got caught up with real life and has not updated those benchmarks.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Too funny. Others were claiming it's much faster. Eye of the beholder.

Earlier in the year we had a member actually benchmark common functions. It was awesome, but apparently he/she got caught up with real life and has not updated those benchmarks.
All I can do is judge it from the past before the update. It is much more sluggish and doesn't even work when I set the video output to 1080p. If I try and play an HD movie with this setting on, the video will go black and then blue as if there is no video source. If I uncheck 1080p and just use 1080i, it will work fine. One of the biggest improvements of the latest update was 1080p support and I can't even use it.
6 DVD
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
compnurd

Does your TV support Native 1080p/24FPS?
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #13
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Does your TV support Native 1080p/24FPS?
Yes, and it works fine with the LG and Panasonic blu-ray players using 1080p/24fps.
6 DVD
Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Yes, and it works fine with the LG and Panasonic blu-ray players using 1080p/24fps.
How does your Tv react with 1080P24 content from Amazon on the TiVo?
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
How does your Tv react with 1080P24 content from Amazon on the TiVo?
It is fine with Amazon but as you know, Amazon is different because it is downloaded whereas the Netflix movies are streamed.
6 DVD
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
sbq

I had some problems with the initial Netflix config where it asked for my email address and password, but it turns out that Netflix changed their password policy sometime recently to restrict passwords to 6-10 characters only (my password was set to 13 characters). When I changed my password online to something easier to use with the in menu keyboard I found I had to shorten it up a bit, but after that I was able to register and start using the new app.

My first attempt to stream had terrible quality, very pixelated, so I paused it and went out of Netflix then back in again. When I started playing that selection again I started from the beginning and paused it to see if it would buffer some, then played it. It worked fine this time, better than I've ever seen Netflix work on my Tivo Premiere.

One thing I notice that's different from the old Netflix app, and the Netflix app in my Samsung blu-ray player, is it no longer shows a "quality" gauge, and doesn't spend time buffering the stream, it just goes straight into playing. That may explain why the initial attempt resulted in a poor quality stream. I'll start using the Tivo Netflix app for awhile to see if it's better than the Samsung blu-ray player app I've been using (because the old Tivo app sucked).
sbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #17
jmatero

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrge View Post
So I turn on the bedroom TV this morning to see I've received the new service update. With excitement, I checked out the new YouTube and Netflix apps. YouTube looked exactly the same. Netflix returned an error and wouldn't load. Probably needs a reboot. (I hope.)

Went upstairs to find YouTube and Netflix working properly but both are extremely sluggish. In Netflix, pressing PAUSE results in a 4-5 second lag before it actually pauses. Very annoying when reaching for a ringing telephone.

I'll probably stick to my Apple TV for Netflix & YouTube content.
Likewise. AppleTV has... By far... The best Netflix interface out there. The TiVo version is so slow.
jmatero is offline   Reply With Quote