TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
laddanator

Odd HR10-250 Weather Related Reboot

I have a brand new HR10-250 box and it's snowing pretty bad here and I have had to go out a few times to deice the dish to get service back but my box does a weird thing and not sure I can turn this feature off? (if it is a feature) Once I deice the dish, our service is perfect til the ice builds backup on the dish and we lose signal and I get that but what I don't get is why my box reboots itself when I lose signal. As soon as the signal drops to nothing, box will reboot and I get the message..Welcome Powering Up. I have a brand new HDD in the box and I doubt that's the issue as it only happens when I lose complete signal?
laddanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

That shouldn't happen.

Could a multiswitch be shorting out or something and causing the TiVo to crash? Because if you lose signal, it should just stop receiving programming and say something like "searching for signal" on the screen until you resolve the ice problem.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
laddanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
That shouldn't happen.

Could a multiswitch be shorting out or something and causing the TiVo to crash? Because if you lose signal, it should just stop receiving programming and say something like "searching for signal" on the screen until you resolve the ice problem.
The only multiswitch I have is the one in the LNB. Currently I am using the older style 18inch Oval dish with the 3 LNB but its a brand new dish with the 2inch mounting base instead of the 1 5/8. That doesn't mean it couldn't be bad. I am accustom to getting "searching for signal" due to bad weather but the reboot thing is odd. I sprayed some RainX on the dish and LNB and signal never went out again and the box has still yet to reboot since I "fixed" the dish freezing over in the weather. Not sure if this will be one of those unexplainable issues.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
This is quite common with that vintage of DTiVo. Nothing you can do about it.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I owned several DirecTV TiVo boxes, including a couple of HR10-250's, and I never had a reboot because of signal loss, whether caused by rain, snow, ice, or the one time somebody cut the wrong coax cable. (oops!) It always just showed "searching for signal" or whatever on the screen until the problem was resolved.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
laddanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
This is quite common with that vintage of DTiVo. Nothing you can do about it.
Thanks. I will just chalk it up to one of those weird things. Weather broke and LNB is nice and ice free for 12 hours now and no more reboot. Oh well, just glad to know my box isn't bad.

Quote:
I owned several DirecTV TiVo boxes, including a couple of HR10-250's, and I never had a reboot because of signal loss, whether caused by rain, snow, ice, or the one time somebody cut the wrong coax cable. (oops!) It always just showed "searching for signal" or whatever on the screen until the problem was resolved.
I'm with you. That's all I ever got on other Tivo boxes ("searching for signal") but maybe I have one of those weird ones from the many HR10-250 that were produced.