Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #181
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
What a terrible, horrible, EVIL notion! What kind of twisted, evil mind do you have?!?

Need a job?
just cause i have boxes of pinhole cameras and hundreds of feet of cable in my carpeted van doesnt mean i am twisted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #182
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
Off topic for the thread, but one of my pet peeves about TV computer use (especially in police/crime shows) is "enhancing" a photo to see someone's face, a license plate, etc. A digital photo only has whatever data the camera captured, and you can try to enhance some detail to a certain degree, but you are never going to take a completely blurry photo and generate a crystal clear image of exactly what is in the photo.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #183
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Giving the lead time time to build this class of submarines, the Ohio class replacement design will be 10 to 15 years old when the first replacement is commissioned, 2029 projected date.
About 20 years ago I served on USS Nevada, SSBN-733, an Ohio-class boomer. It just got out of 2.5 _years_ in Bremerton, undergoing an engineering refueling and overhaul. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in service past 2029. Especially with the staggering cost of replacements.

I really enjoyed the show. I can shut my brain off and not nitpick, or, just laugh at the inaccuracies. I treat the show more as sf that takes place in the near future, like a Tom Clancy novel, and don't have much problem ignoring some technical details, like tech we don't have, or capabilities beyond the present day.

For example, who is to say Colorado isn't carrying yet to be developed D6 Trident III missiles? Or the TLAM-N has been reintroduced as a subsurface attack version that is a nuclear torpedo? Or we've got ASROCs again? Colorado has a fictional loadout as there aren't any Ohio's that carry Tomahawks and Tridents. The Ohio SSGN conversions have 2 tubes for SEAL ops, and 22 tubes with 7 Tomahawks each.

Nevada, for example, originally had C4 Tridents but just got D5 Trident IIs as part of her overhaul. D5s have a significantly longer range than C4s. Maybe a fictional D6 has an even longer range.

Last edited by justen_m : 10-04-2012 at 03:07 PM.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #184
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
but i always wondered about the stuff on the computers..if it's ON the computer someone did SOMETHING to put it on the computer..no? or is it just CGI..but again. that IS being done..so how is it not real?
I would guess that most of the time the actual screen being filmed does not have anything on it of note and they are adding the screens in later. It is annoying to film a computer monitor. Maybe it's gotten a lot better but it doesn't seem worth the effort to make a screen actually have the content we see on the screen.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #185
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Or just let it play when you're not actually watching the TV. That way you accomplish both goals. Giving it ratings, while still not getting caught up in the show before you know if it will be canceled or not.
Surprisde nobody responded to this. That only works if you're a Nielsen household, and those people definitely know who they are. Just watching the show on your DVR sometime within 3 days after it airs won't help the ratings at all if you're not a Nielsen household.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I have a political question. There was a rumor that Nixon tried to order one of the air force squadrons but the order was ignored. There were no such rumors during the Clinton Impeachment and trial. Could this proposed future President be trying to start a war in order to avoid impeachment and trial?
I think that's exactly what's going to be going on. Current POTUS is trying to start a war so that the impeachment folks will back off. And I think it's pretty clear the SEALs were carrying out the first part of that plan, which is what led to the nukes being fired at Pakistan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
BTW, any seafood lovers on the East coast, don't bother to cook your food. It should be nuclear stir-fried for the next 50 years or so.
My thoughts exactly. He's just destroyed the east-coast fishing industry for the next generation. That's not going to be taken lightly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcouch View Post
I enjoyed the show though not quite as much as I hoped. Had a few issues having worked for Navy for much of my career, but can generally suspend disbelief for drama. My biggest complaint though was that they'd contact the Admiral and the guy's wife. Really stupid as they'd have to know they be tracked by those calls.
What was the problem with that? It's not like they were trying to hide. The Navy knew where they were (the bombers were coming for them) and then when he released that video, he clearly stated to the world where they were. No reason they should care that their calls to their loved ones were being traced.

I really enjoyed the show. My only concern is that its in a brutally-competitive timeslot where ABC hasn't had any success in years (Missing, Charlie's Angels, My Generation, Flash Forward, Threat Matrix, etc.). I really wish they would have put this show at 10 pm where it would have faced less competition. I also think 8 pm is kind of early in the evening for something that's intended to be action-packed and intense. Not that there's anything inappropriate, but that usually the 8 pm shows are a little lighter as people are still settling in from work, eating dinner, getting kids to bed, etc. I sure hope ratings for tonights episode hold up.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #186
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I agree about the 8pm thing. I was really surprised that they chose such an early time slot for this.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #187
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Agreed. It definitely seems like a 9 pm/10 pm show to me.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #188
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
About 20 years ago I served on USS Nevada, SSBN-733, an Ohio-class boomer. It just got out of 2.5 _years_ in Bremerton, undergoing an engineering refueling and overhaul. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in service past 2029. Especially with the staggering cost of replacements.
You will not see extension of life on the Ohio class due to the fact that a refuel is needed to extend their lives. The reactor core on the Ohio class was designed for twenty years, so one refueling was required for the 40 year life of the sub. Ideally there was suppose to be 12 boomers at any one time, four out at sea, four in training, and four in port/overhaul. Unfortunately Obama delayed by two years in the boomer replacement, so the first replacement won't take place until 2031. By that time the Navy will be down to 10 boomers. It will take the Navy 14 years to get back to an ideal 12 boomers, based on a 40 year life cycle of the reactor core.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #189
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
but i always wondered about the stuff on the computers..if it's ON the computer someone did SOMETHING to put it on the computer..no? or is it just CGI..but again. that IS being done..so how is it not real?
!@$ Lost used an Apple II, but the screens it put out (which IIRC were a vaguely plausible text font on a green screen) used some wonky smooth scrolling thing that doesn't exist.

BLECK. Do it right or don't do it at all.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #190
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, I'm a landlord, and we're usually portrayed as greedy, money-grubbing, semi-sociopathic bastards.

So that's pretty much dead-on.
You win the thread.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #191
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
Is he talking about the line "they have 'latrine duty' for the next week"? Is he really upset that the line wasn't "they have head duty"?
Yes. The Navy has specific language they use. It isn't optional. There are no latrines and nobody in the Navy for any length of time would use that word. Marines also use the word "head", so nobody on that vessel would ever use the word "latrine".

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #192
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Yes. The Navy has specific language they use. It isn't optional. There are no latrines and nobody in the Navy for any length of time would use that word. Marines also use the word "head", so nobody on that vessel would ever use the word "latrine".
Marines are sailors. They speak like us Ereth.

But special ops on sups? My dad (us army mediic nam) and uncle (same) have different lingo than us squids. Are all the Seals acutally SEALs? Marine corps force recon and army rangers could be there too. DELETING STUFF.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #193
Ereth

Quote:
Marines are sailors. They speak like us Ereth.

But special ops on sups? My dad (us army mediic nam) and uncle (same) have different lingo than us squids. Are all the Seals acutally SEALs? Marine corps force recon and army rangers could be there too. DELETING STUFF.
Perhaps, but the person who used the word latrine was the Chief of the Boat, was it not? Find me a Master Chief who has ever used the phrase "latrine duty". (And I say this as the son of a Master Chief).

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #194
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Perhaps, but the person who used the word latrine was the Chief of the Boat, was it not? Find me a Master Chief who has ever used the phrase "latrine duty". (And I say this as the son of a Master Chief).
Yeah, you are right there. I can't even imagine a COB who would use that term. But that was on boomers. Other than at Annapolis, we had zero ground training. Maybe on Nimitz's it was different? You ever fly Vikings and have time on one them?

On Nevada, we just assumed that if we launched, we were all dead, and everyone we knew was dead, too. Curious, did you have orders for after the launch? I mean, I assume we had some, but I wasn't privy to that.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #195
Ereth

Quote:
Yeah, you are right there. I can't even imagine a COB who would use that term. But that was on boomers. Other than at Annapolis, we had zero ground training. Maybe on Nimitz's it was different? You ever fly Vikings and have time on one them?
Nope. No haze-gray and underway for me. I never flew in a plane that had a tailhook. (I flew with a guy who transitioned from S-3 to P-3, and he was on Nimitz during "The Final Countdown" filming, and also the crossing of the line-of-death that got the F-14s the 2 kills of Libyan fighters).

Quote:
On Nevada, we just assumed that if we launched, we were all dead, and everyone we knew was dead, too. Curious, did you have orders for after the launch? I mean, I assume we had some, but I wasn't privy to that.
I assume you've read "On the Beach".

Our orders, as ASW, were very specific and unpleasant.

I always thought it was rather appropriate that we always chased the Boomers and the S-3s and Helos chased the Fast Attacks (generally). In each case, the platform you are chasing was designed to eliminate your home, and you've have no place to land if they succeeded. Definite incentive there.

But really, I'm sure we had the same thought. If you fired, and the Soviets fired, was there anybody who actually WANTED to survive to go home? The world was not going to be a very good place after that.

Even the nukes that went into Pakistan in this TV show (and the one offshore on the East Coast) are going to be significant issues if the writers aren't complete idiots. (Wait, we did a nuclear first strike on a nuclear capable country, without any warning or buildup... ok, the writers ARE idiots, nevermind).