TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 17,643
Boardwalk Empire - 10/14/2012

Wowzers, I now know more about Gyp than I really wanted to know!

There was a lot going on this episode, and a lot of it was really well done. What was up with Gillian, does she really think Jimmy is alive?

Loved Van Whatshisname's "wife" and her English lessons and particularly her defense of her husband. She's a keeper!

I never watch this show twice, but I might this week.
__________________

meh

Last edited by heySkippy : 10-15-2012 at 08:08 PM.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 24,358
Meek Mrs. Van Alden went all gangsta on the gov't dude's cranium. It kind of was his own fault. He was too dumb to put "My iron broke" or something like that on his calling card.

I'm confused. Who put the hit on Rosetti? The shooter was Bugsy Siegal, correct? Nucky knew about the hit beforehand but why would Luciano's crew care about Nucky's Gyp problem enough to try to kill him.

I felt bad for the paper boy. Red head waitress girl too.

Nucky's wife's scenes are rapidly approaching ffwd territory. I don't give anything resembling a crap about her any more.

Giallian is nuts.
__________________

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Meek Mrs. Van Alden went all gangsta on the gov't dude's cranium. It kind of was his own fault. He was too dumb to put "My iron broke" or something like that on his calling card.

I'm confused. Who put the hit on Rosetti? The shooter was Bugsy Siegal, correct? Nucky knew about the hit beforehand but why would Luciano's crew care about Nucky's Gyp problem enough to try to kill him.

I felt bad for the paper boy. Red head waitress girl too.
...
There had to be a reason for Van Alden to go back to O'Banion. Watch him join O'B's crew.

I was gonna ask if that was Bugsy and it later occurred to me that the girl could be the waitress. It seemed like she was put off with Gyp grabbassing her.

The hit was by Arnold Rothstein's team working with/for Nucky. Remember that when AR was meeting Gyp, Gyp told the paperboy to deliver everyday to his room.

Bobby! I'm thinking we've seen more ween on HBO than you can in an NC-17 movie. (There was the failed assassin on Game of Thrones.) The good ladies at the MPAA rating board would never allow that, unless it was being brutally and bloodily sliced off.
__________________
Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime 2TB int.
Series 3 OLED - Lifetime + 1TB ext.
Series 3 OLED - Lifetime 1.5TB int.
2 Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
jradosh
Newlywed
 
jradosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Herndon, VA, USA
Posts: 17,118
Given Nucky's and Arnold's last scene before the failed assisination attempt, I didn't think they were in cahoots any more. But also I thought that it was strange they were suddenly so at-odds with each other when they both had a common problem. So that fight was the McGuffin/Red Herring in this week's episode I suppose.

I realize that it would be hard to just write off a main character like Margaret, but it just feels like they're giving her "busy work" plot-wise. And it's not terribly interesting except perhaps from a historical perspective (hey... Kotex! How cool is that? (not very))

I feel the same way with VanAlden's plot line. His character was very interesting, but they really could have written him out of season 3 without leaving any loose threads from season 2. As it it, while his story is interesting, unless it really ties back to the main characters I don't like having a separate plot line like this. They should just spin off "The VanAlden Show"

The handling of this episode's Al Capone storyline was heavy-handed at best. Hey, someone bullies his kid and someone bullies his co-worker. He can't beat up his kid's bully so he beats up the bully of his co-worker (whom he bullied himself earlier). It was all a little too obvious and lacking in sublty for such a well-written show. :/

But I just LOVED the sceen where Chalky and his thug cohort made Eddie Cantor perform for them as a way of getting him to rework the horrible musical that Billie was rehersing. Absolutely great balance of comedy and tension at the same time.
__________________
____________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. :)
jradosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #5
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 24,358
Margaret is (obviously) going to have an affair with the doctor. I just don't care.

Gyp is this season's outlandish cartoon character, taking over from Val Alden while he temporarily sells irons.
__________________

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 6,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Nucky's wife's scenes are rapidly approaching ffwd territory. I don't give anything resembling a crap about her any more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
I realize that it would be hard to just write off a main character like Margaret, but it just feels like they're giving her "busy work" plot-wise. And it's not terribly interesting except perhaps from a historical perspective (hey... Kotex! How cool is that? (not very))
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Margaret is (obviously) going to have an affair with the doctor. I just don't care.
Booooring. Too often in this show, they take character/story development from careful & methodical to just plain slow. I watch shows like BB or Homeland, and realize how much fun it is to watch a show that actually moves, and I wonder why I still watch BE. (And yes, I realize every show can't be 110 MPH, but school zone speeds are for... school zones.)

This show has entered the bubble zone for me; too many good shows airing to waste much more time waiting for something, anything, to happen.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola
 
KRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Franklin, MA
Posts: 5,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Booooring. Too often in this show, they take character/story development from careful & methodical to just plain slow. I watch shows like BB or Homeland, and realize how much fun it is to watch a show that actually moves, and I wonder why I still watch BE. (And yes, I realize every show can't be 110 MPH, but school zone speeds are for... school zones.)

This show has entered the bubble zone for me; too many good shows airing to waste much more time waiting for something, anything, to happen.
I agree with this, although I have faith that this is just a lull before things heat up again.

One fun thing is to try to see how many characters from other shows you can spot. Oh, there's Uncle Junior. Hey, that's the kid from Rescue Me. He was on Six Feet Under. He's the guy from Nurse Jackie. Etc...
__________________
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?

360: Bees Tea Boys
Wii: 6028 2014 9605 5661
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |