And we're down to the wire.

Some highlights for me:

- Eliana & Chehon's Nutcracker
- Chehon & Allison's contemporary by Stacey Tookey
- Eliana & Tiffany on the pole, well, Eliana on the pole
- Eliana & Alex
- Cyrus & Twitch

and the one-legged dancer was amazing!

I was shocked when Nigel told Cyrus he was voting for Chehon. I voted for Eliana & Chehon, as I have been for weeks.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Thanks for getting things started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
I was shocked when Nigel told Cyrus he was voting for Chehon.
In other words:

"We know you're going to win because America loves you, and you've worked hard, but the dance community knows that Cheon is the better dancer, so don't let this go to your head."

Yeah, Nigel annoyed the crap out of me last night. The other speech that made me want to reach through the TV and strangle him was when he told Eliana she was his favorite dancer on SYTYCD of all time. She's great, and I love her, but what have they given her to do?

Let's look at all the girl - girl routines from past seasons:

Spoiler:

S1: Melody and Ashlé, Contemporary (Mia), "Message in a Bottle" by The Police
S2: Donyelle and Heidi, Broadway (Tyce), "Big Spender" from Sweet Charity
S3: Lacey and Sabra, Jazz (Wade Robson), "Koyal (Songbird)" by Nitin Sawhney
S4: Katee and Courtney, Broadway (Tyce), "The Trolley Song" by Rufus Wainwright
S5: Jeanine and Kayla, Contemporary (Mia), Steve Reich's "The Four Sections:IV"
S6: no data on Wikipedia
S7: no data on Wikipedia
S8: Melanie and Sasha, Contemporary (Stacey Tookey), "Heart Asks Pleasure First" by the Ahn Trio
S9: Eliana and Tiffany, Broadway (Ray Leeper), "When You're Good to Mama" from Chicago

The pattern is pretty clear. If you take out S3, which is an outlier, you either get a kick-ass contemporary routine from one of the female choreographers, or a Broadway routine from one of the male choreographers. And the choreography for most of those Broadway routines is the kind of stuff which makes Nigel say "I don't know how I can can comment without getting into trouble."

Then in the other routines, she's got what could have been a slamming Paso Double-inspired showdance from Jason Gilkinson, only she's stuck with having to perform it with Cyrus, and an OMG, could we be more predictable, pas de deux from The Nutcracker with Cheon. (Yes, it was lovely, and yes, there were really difficult things in the choreography, but for a show which tries so hard to be modern on the street side, it was disappointing to see the ballet dancers go ultra-classical.)

In my experience, no matter how good the dancers are, on the show itself the street dancers are the only ones that really look outstanding in their solos.

So it's only in the routine with Alex Wong that she really got a chance to show off.

And maybe I'm just jaded, but I could probably make the same case for all the dancers on the show -- despite the burbling of the judges panel, there weren't many chances on the show for the dancers to show off what they could do.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 09-12-2012 at 11:37 AM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
Cainebj

I said last week I wanted a Cheon Eliana ballet routine and was happy to get it

until Cheon did nothing but hold Eliana up LOL

she was great - kindof a shame he didn't get to do much in the way of showing off (yes i know what he did was tremendously difficult - but ya know what i mean).

Eliana is stealing this show.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Uncle Nigel was a little bitch last night- his attempts to manipulate are so transparent, ugh.
Why he feels the need to expound like that I cannot say.

That said I enjoyed the show tremendously- my Chehon love knows no bounds.
I was so happy to see a real pas de deux although I wish Chehon could have had a bit more to show off. His partnering is so strong and he makes it look so deceptively easy that folks might not see his great qualities when the girl is featured so much more. And speaking of great qualities in the pas de deux, that's what a mans legs are supposed to look like! Yowser![/shallow]
And I am half in love with his parents- they radiate warmth and intelligence and seem so bleeping interesting.

I thought it was all very nice except the group number- that was tragic.
And Mary's "nommy emanated" spoonerism was a hoot.
Have another cocktail, Mary!!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Thanks for getting things started!
I was sad there wasn't a thread yet. It says a lot about how this season has gone.

Quote:
"We know you're going to win because America loves you, and you've worked hard, but the dance community knows that Cheon is the better dancer, so don't let this go to your head."
So maybe he shouldn't have pandered to him and given him a pass every single week?

It must be the choreographers, because there are incredible talented dancers on this show, but the show has become less and less entertaining.

I agree I would have liked to see Chehon do more in ballet with Eliana. His leaps are so incredible and he didn't get a chance to show off.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
So maybe he shouldn't have pandered to him and given him a pass every single week?
I'm guessing Cyrus was a runaway train in the voting from the very first episode, so if Nigel hadn't pandered he would have come off as looking like a fool for not 'backing' the winner.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
In what way did the judges "give Cyrus a pass"? He never was in the bottom, so they never had to rescue him. And when they said that his performances were amazing, given that he started dancing in his late teens, and hasn't (as far as we know) had a lick of dance training, that's all true. (Contrast previous seasons, where I thought the street dancers like Ivan and Legacy were being over-praised.)

If you take the untrained street dancers who have been on the show, and compared them to each other, Cyrus is one of the better performers.

Sure, they could waste a bunch of air time breaking down all the sucky parts where he has no technique, but 1) that doesn't make for an entertaining show and 2) it would only make people call in and vote for him even more.

So IMHO the show has painted itself into a corner here. There's not much else they can do -- the show is not set up to show which dancer is the best dancer. It is engineered to pick America's favorite dancer. And there's no doubt that Cyrus knows how to perform and engage an audience.

Quote:
It must be the choreographers, because there are incredible talented dancers on this show, but the show has become less and less entertaining.
I blame the choreography, but I'm sure the choreographers would tell me they're constrained by what the dancers can do. Funny thing, though -- if that's the case, and it's also true that the dancers are more and more skilled every season, then why is it that the earlier seasons of the show were so much more fun?

Last edited by murgatroyd : 09-12-2012 at 12:31 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
jehma

Quote:
In what way did the judges "give Cyrus a pass"? He never was in the bottom, so they never had to rescue him. And when they said that his performances were amazing, given that he started dancing in his late teens, and hasn't (as far as we know) had a lick of dance training, that's all true. (Contrast previous seasons, where I thought the street dancers like Ivan and Legacy were being over-praised.)
But not Hok or Twitch, who were fantastic.

Quote:
If you take the untrained street dancers who have been on the show, and compared them to each other, Cyrus is one of the better performers.

Sure, they could waste a bunch of air time breaking down all the sucky parts where he has no technique, but 1) that doesn't make for an entertaining show and 2) it would only make people call in and vote for him even more.

So IMHO the show has painted itself into a corner here. There's not much else they can do -- the show is engineered to pick America's favorite dancer.
I don't really disagree with you, but there's definitely a double standard here. The judges will pick apart the performance aspect of a very well danced routine for the trained dancers, but never picked on Cyrus' poor technique. Yes, he's a great performer and by all accounts seems like a great guy and a hard worker. But didn't it seem to you that the choreographers went easy on him in his routines? I'm sure that came from Nigel and not from them.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
Snappa77
RUDEBWOY

Last couple of seasons including this one has been meh.

Very few memorable performances.

I personally think they should drop having all stars on and got back with a full show of new dancers.
2 R10's- GONE
2 COMCAST HD TiVo DVR's. SofaKing slow.
Snappa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
I was so happy to see a real pas de deux although I wish Chehon could have had a bit more to show off.
Sounds like you know so I will ask if you know

Do you know if the pre-requisites of a real pas de deux is what kept the choreographer from allowing Cheon to show off more? Or was that a choreographer's choice?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Sounds like you know so I will ask if you know
I do not
Old 09-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
I blame the choreography, but I'm sure the choreographers would tell me they're constrained by what the dancers can do. Funny thing, though -- if that's the case, and it's also true that the dancers are more and more skilled every season, then why is it that the earlier seasons of the show were so much more fun?
I can think of two reasons, but they both boil down to the same thing - Emmy awards.

First, two or three years ago, the Emmys changed the choreography award rules so that only one person (or couple) could win for choreography in a TV series (as opposed to choreography for a special, such as the Oscars). That made the show more competitive among the choreographers, especially as the rules at the time limited each one to the routines done in one episode, which, in pretty much every case, limited them to one routine per year.
(The rules have since been changed - now, there can be multiple winners, and each entry can enter three routines per year, which can be from different seasons.)

Second, I think somebody noticed that Cat was too "fun" for her own good; when she started getting more serious (e.g. by not calling the dancers "It's" followed by their names), she started getting Emmy nominations, and I don't think that's coincidental.

Speaking of Emmys, the choreography and reality show host Emmys will be given out this Saturday. (This ceremony, or at least a heavily edited version of it (they have to get 4 hours down to 2), will air on Reelz on 9/22.) Keep in mind these are for the 2011 season as far as SYTYCD is concerned, since an Emmy "year" starts June 1.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Jayjoans

In our house, this show has run it's course. Where we used to gather 'round to watch, now multiple episodes sit on the DVR unwatched. We turned it on last night and were surprised to see the final 4, I think the last episode we watched there were 10 or 12. Yawn... Even last night we ff'd through most and then decided Shipping Wars was more interesting at some point.

Sorry, I know this is a threadcrap, but it sounds like interest is waning for SYTYCD.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
voripteth
User Advocate

Our interest in the series is still strong. In fact we felt short changed by this season's format of having only one show a week. It is over too soon!

I think our greatest interest is watching the dancers grow from episode to episode. Sure it's beautiful to watch a talented dancer but we find ourselves cheering more for Cyrus, Legacy, Hok, Twitch and every other dancer who grew so much over the season.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

On the contrary, the new format was the best thing about this season. I only hope that other reality shows pick it up. No show needs a whole extra hour just to announce who's going home. Get 'em on stage, kick 'em out. Done and done. Love it!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
On the contrary, the new format was the best thing about this season. I only hope that other reality shows pick it up. No show needs a whole extra hour just to announce who's going home. Get 'em on stage, kick 'em out. Done and done. Love it!
Fox planned to do this with Idol two years ago. The problem was, the plan was to move Raising Hope to Thursdays when Idol results shows started, but it was such a hit that Fox decided to make it the cornerstone of its Tuesday lineup, and Fox now had nothing better to show in the other half-hour slot.

Then again, this shouldn't be a problem with SYTYCD, as they usually don't show reruns of their current half-hour shows during the summer anyway. If they're worried that people might think that the comedies are moving permanently to the new night, then perhaps Fox can rotate them (e.g. show New Girl one week, then Raising Hope the next week). There's also the possibility that, say, Ben & Kate or The Mindy Project crashes and burns, and they can burn off the unaired episodes in the post-SYTYCD slot.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

I wonder how they'll handle the fact that none of the choreographers won an Emmy (and it's not just a case of "somebody else was better"; in the Choreography category, each nominee gets a separate yes/no vote).

The only Choreography Emmy went to Smash, which is strange as it's "group numbers," and the TV academy members that decide these things usually prefer solos/duets.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
Cainebj

I doubt they will mention it and if they do...
it was an honor to be nominated
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #19
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
I doubt they will mention it and if they do...
it was an honor to be nominated
They'll probably mention that the lighting director won an Emmy, and remind people that Cat's category is in the "main" ceremony. They may even remind people that the awards are for last season, and this season's routines were better somehow.