Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 AM   #61
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Two SVU detectives showed up on Chicago PD the other week after Sophia Bush was on SVU for about a minute.

So they are in the L&O Universe and so there is the possibility of other L&O characters popping up on both those shows.
That puts them in the Tommy Westphall universe.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:55 AM   #62
DouglasPHill

Someone made a good point, spin off shows don't have to be the same type of show as the show being used to launch from. For instance Happy Days being used to launch Mork and Mindy. But, (you knew there would be a but) any new show that starts with the letters NCIS in its title, yes we kind of assume its going to be an NCIS type show. NCIS LA barely does this.
DouglasPHill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #63
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Early in the show Gibbs, The King and Fournelle were doing the walk and talk thing and Fournell was reminiscing about all the time he spent in Nawlins and how much he enjoyed eating poor boys. I listened to it three times and he definitely said poor. Po' thing.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #64
mr.unnatural

They should name the show "NCIS Men of a Certain Age Take a Quantum Leap Off the Enterprise."
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #65
Worf

So what hardware is NCIS NOLA going to pimp?

You know, like how NCIS sports iPhones and iPads, while NCIS LA sports Windows Phone and Microsoft Surfaces...

I dunno - Samsung, HTC, Motorola?
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #66
ADG
Allan

Didn't like the silly gun in the safe, the leggos, the forensic guy having to play the keyboard before so he could think, the agent in the bar in the morning stopping a teenager with a gun, or any of the other "cute" nonsense they felt they had to throw in to make it look unique or different from the original. I was hoping it would be a nice, intelligent spin-off that took its cues from NCIS. No such luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #67
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Didn't like the silly gun in the safe, the leggos, the forensic guy having to play the keyboard before so he could think, the agent in the bar in the morning stopping a teenager with a gun, or any of the other "cute" nonsense they felt they had to throw in to make it look unique or different from the original. I was hoping it would be a nice, intelligent spin-off that took its cues from NCIS. No such luck.
I agree. Trying too hard to be unique and quirky. I felt they were throwing everything at the wall to see what would stick.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #68
mr.unnatural

Spinoffs tend to be hit or miss, with more misses than hits. The only spinoffs that I can recall off the top of my head that were any good are Law & Order SVU and Frasier. I'm sure there have been others, but they tend to be few and far between.

I still have to suffer through part II of the spinoff pilot on NCIS. I won't be adding the new show to my lineup.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #69
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Spinoffs tend to be hit or miss, with more misses than hits. The only spinoffs that I can recall off the top of my head that were any good are Law & Order SVU and Frasier. I'm sure there have been others, but they tend to be few and far between.

I still have to suffer through part II of the spinoff pilot on NCIS. I won't be adding the new show to my lineup.
Well, to be fair, NCIS was a spinoff in the first place. And the LA version has grown on me, but they were smart to make that totally different. This new one seems like a clone, more like the CSI spinoffs were.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #70
kmccbf

I just managed to watch part I last night and I'm waiting for part two. I think the spin of has potential but they need to move to a real office. Bakula's ever changing accent didn't really bother me. But maybe it's because I got the impression that he wasn't supposed to be native to New Orleans it was supposed to be a mixture of one accent with another. As far as the changes, I know a lot of people who's accent changes depending as they speak to others from an area they used to live in.

I'll give it a shot before I decide.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #71
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'd watch it. It takes time to develop the characters.

While the backdoor pilot was actually filmed in New Orleans, I'm sure the real show will be filmed in Hollywood.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #72
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
I'd watch it. It takes time to develop the characters.

While the backdoor pilot was actually filmed in New Orleans, I'm sure the real show will be filmed in Hollywood.
Interesting, I was pretty sure they'd green screened it like with CSI:NY, but I'm sure they will
Old 04-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #73
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I like Zoe McLellan -- she was on JAG, remember? -- so I'll watch NCIS: New Orleans.

I wonder if they'll do an inside joke whenever a JAG officer shows up. "Hey, you remind me of someone..." It's probably inevitable.

BTW, she'll be 40 in November.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:38 PM   #74
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
I like Zoe McLellan -- she was on JAG, remember? -- so I'll watch NCIS: New Orleans.

I wonder if they'll do an inside joke whenever a JAG officer shows up. "Hey, you remind me of someone..." It's probably inevitable.

BTW, she'll be 40 in November.
She's the same character. They already referenced it.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #75
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
She's the same character.
What are you talking about? On JAG, she played Jennifer Coates. On NCIS, she's Meredith Brody.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #76
Worf

Heh, I suppose it might be fun if David James Elliot showed up as Harmon Rabb.

Though, since it's spun off of NCIS, there goes the tie for the longest chain of spinoffs.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 AM   #77
DouglasPHill

Watched the 2nd half last night. Wife thought she might watch the series if it becomes one. The Scott Bakula character just bugs me and would keep me from watching.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #78
rhuntington3
Howdy!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Watched the 2nd half last night. Wife thought she might watch the series if it becomes one. The Scott Bakula character just bugs me and would keep me from watching.
His accent to me seemed to have disappeared in part two or maybe I was just ignoring it more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lady, 8/7/2007.
rhuntington3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #79
markz
Hilarity Ensues

My wife and I plan to give it a shot. Other than SB's accent issues, we enjoyed it and like the actors.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #80
mr.unnatural

I just finished watching the 2nd pilot episode/crossover with NCIS last night. I'm not a huge fan of Scott Bakula but I didn't find his accent to be as annoying as the rest of you. To me, he just sounded like he does with every other character he plays.

Is there a show on TV that CCH Pounder hasn't been part of? I swear that woman pops up in every show I've ever seen. I guess now that Warehouse 13 will be entering it's final season when it starts back up she needed to find something to do in the Fall.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:16 PM   #81
DouglasPHill

I did not realize W13 was still around. lol
Old 04-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #82
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Is there a show on TV that CCH Pounder hasn't been part of?
She had a seriously silly line in this though: "I think we have a murderer on the loose"... Yeah, you think, Captain Obvious?
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 AM   #83
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Two SVU detectives showed up on Chicago PD the other week after Sophia Bush was on SVU for about a minute.

So they are in the L&O Universe and so there is the possibility of other L&O characters popping up on both those shows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Someone made a good point, spin off shows don't have to be the same type of show as the show being used to launch from.
Exactly.

(I don't believe)
Old 04-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #84
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
Early in the show Gibbs, The King and Fournelle were doing the walk and talk thing and Fournell was reminiscing about all the time he spent in Nawlins and how much he enjoyed eating poor boys. I listened to it three times and he definitely said poor. Po' thing.
actually I can see that being in character for Fournelle.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote