TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 4.77 average.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #751
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartlett76 View Post
The wires all just come out of a hole in the wall in a big cluster. But, I've checked each one to try to pinpoint where each is running to, so I'm pretty certain that the right one is going to the input on the splitter (where I tried the POE filter).

I'll be sure to update the prognosis with the new filter after it comes (hopefully on Thursday). Fingers crossed.

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions. You've been very helpful!
Hi again,
I am starting to suspect that there is something missing in the coax wiring and that there is possibly another splitter somewhere before that 6 way that is feeding one or more coax outlets in your home. Is there a box on the outside of your home from the cable company. Normally, this is the proper location for the installation of a POE filter. Sometimes they have security fittings on these, but sometimes not. If you can open it, install your POE filter there. If you can't easily get into the box, simply examine the number of coax cables coming out of it. If there is more than one in and one out, it is likely that it is being split before your 6 way. Sometimes they make a direct run for the cable modem, don't know but an educated guess. If so, and you put the filter on the leg feeding the 6 way, you effectively cut the MoCA coax connection to the modem/router.
By the way, when you say you lose wireless, do you actually mean you lose internet access?

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #752
Bartlett76

Thanks again for all of the suggestions from everyone. I still can't get the POE filter to work though. Here are diagrams of the setups I've tried...

#1 - POE filter at cable splitter in hall closet (I've tried 2 different filters)

#2 - POE filter in box outside of the house where line in from the street meets the line into the house (joined at a grounding block)

#3 - 2 POE filters, 1 at splitter and 1 at modem/router gateway

For the 2 filters I've been trying, 1 was purchased directly through TiVO and the other was purchased from Amazon (with lots of positive reviews from TiVO users).

In every combination I've tried so far, the cable tv signal still comes through just fine. But, the internet signal (both wired and wifi) stops working. The wireless devises say they are getting the wifi signal, but they won't load any data. If I take off the filter(s), everything goes back to working properly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Home Network 1.jpg (39.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Home Network 2.jpg (39.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Home Network 3.jpg (39.3 KB, 21 views)
Bartlett76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #753
Bartlett76

Sorry, In all 3 diagrams, the second line from the network adapter to the modem/router gateway should be blue to designate Ethernet. I forgot to change the color when I was drawing it.

Bartlett76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #754
Random User 7
Incognito

Can you split the line between the outside box and the splitter and add your cable modem in at that point? Connect the split line from the outside to the big splitter. Leave the POE on the line coming in from the outside box but before the splitter. Plug the MoCa adapter to a port on the router and then the coax to the big splitter.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg moca1.jpg (66.8 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Random User 7; 04-14-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #755
fcfc2

Hi again,
The setup I suggest is one filter outside in the box, and one filter on the input to your cable modem. The one combo you didn't try.
Next point, in your diagrams, you appear to be using the outputs from your MoCA adapters, I recommend using a splitter before each and using a 75 ohm terminator on the output of the adapters especially the one by your cable modem.
EDIT: When trouble shooting, try changing just one filter at a time, never 2.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #756
Peter G

Bartlett,

MoCA frequency (D Band) is 1125 MHz to 1525 MHz. Your splitter may be marginal at these frequencies. Maybe try a new MoCA band splitter? Also be sure the POE filters are MoCA not DECA, which will filter out a different part of the band. DECA are for satellite TV networks.

According to another poster, the Actiontec MoCA adapter do not pass the MoCA signal to the TV/STB pport, so theoretically you should not need POE filter between adapter and modem/router.

Otherwise not obvious why your network won't work, your diagrams 1 or 2 should be correct.

Peter G

Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #757
Random User 7
Incognito

The POE filters are fine, splitter should be fine as well.

Random User 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #758
BigJimOutlaw

No obvious problems with that setup. All 3 should work fine as they are. You could try a different main splitter just for sh!!ts and giggles, but I don't know if that'll do anything.

Can you check your cable modem settings and tell us what the upload and download frequencies are? Maybe your cableco uses a high frequency that the POE filter blocks or something. Also what's the model # on the modem?

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 04-14-2015 at 03:50 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #759
mccoydl

It seems that most people aren't using diplexers like you did to setup their MoCA network. From my research it sounds like including them is the best way to setup and optimize a MoCA network.

I currently don't use them on my MoCA network but have been thinking about adding them to see if they improve my speeds. I was wondering if you did any testing with and without them to see if any difference or what your thoughts are on using them? Thanks for your help.

mccoydl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #760
FatHead!

i've read through a hand full of posts and chatted with tivo support, but i'm still a bit unclear about MoCA. Currently i have a Roamio Plus which is connected to coax line and ethernet to my router.

i'd like to get a mini to use in an upstairs room. this room has a coax cable, but no ability to get an ethernet connection to the router.

the coax comes to the house, where it is split to upstairs and downstairs. the upstairs may have another splitter and cable going to two rooms, but only one TV is connected. the downstairs is split, going to the modem and the roamio.

will this set up work using the MoCA adapter built into the Roamio? is there anything else i would need to put into place to get the Mini to work, besides maybe a POE filter?

thanks for any help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MoCA.jpg (20.7 KB, 13 views)
FatHead! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #761
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatHead! View Post
i've read through a hand full of posts and chatted with tivo support, but i'm still a bit unclear about MoCA. Currently i have a Roamio Plus which is connected to coax line and ethernet to my router.

i'd like to get a mini to use in an upstairs room. this room has a coax cable, but no ability to get an ethernet connection to the router.

the coax comes to the house, where it is split to upstairs and downstairs. the upstairs may have another splitter and cable going to two rooms, but only one TV is connected. the downstairs is split, going to the modem and the roamio.

will this set up work using the MoCA adapter built into the Roamio? is there anything else i would need to put into place to get the Mini to work, besides maybe a POE filter?

thanks for any help.
Hi,
Your setup looks good except you need a POE or Whole Home Dvr Filter on the input to the first splitter and you may need one on the input to your cable modem if it doesn't have a filter built in, most of the arris/motorola 6xxx series have them builtin.
Here is a lifetime supply for a good price
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pieces-MoC...item2344277b9c

Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #762
Peter G

Fathead:

Follow these steps, you basically already have the MoCA network:
1) Connect the coax cable coming from the wall to the Cable/MoCA port on the Roamio Plus/Pro.
2) Connect an Ethernet cable from your home network to the Ethernet port on the Roamio Plus/Pro.
(You already have done these 2)
3) If you are setting up your TiVo box for the first time, during Guided Setup choose "Ethernet" as your network connection type if prompted.
4) Go to 'Settings' > 'Network' > 'Change Network Settings.' Then choose 'Use this DVR to create MoCA a MoCA network.
5) Connect the Mini to the coax cable
6) Set the mini to use MoCA

The POE filter will go where the cable drop comes into the house, before the first splitter.
Second filter may or may not be needed to isolate the modem, it should not hurt to add. My cable modem from Charter does not seem to need this; I did not see any issue when I added the MoCA to the network. I bought one just in case but have not installed it yet.

Basically you already have the network in place you just need to turn it on.

Peter G

Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #763
Pacomartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
The POE filter will go where the cable drop comes into the house, before the first splitter. Second filter may or may not be needed to isolate the modem, it should not hurt to add. My cable modem from Charter does not seem to need this; I did not see any issue when I added the MoCA to the network. I bought one just in case but have not installed it yet.
The second filter may not be necessary, but it can't hurt and it is inexpensive. The argument for them is that they may save you a lot of effort at a later time.

I know the RCN techs always install them here in the Lehigh Valley. They said that the number of truck rolls was cut back considerably.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 AM   #764
valmal1957

MoCA with Tivo Premeire XL

Hi everyone,

I have set up my Roamio Pro directly into my cable modem/router (which is Verizon Fios and less than a year old) My only problem is that on my Tivo Premiere says it is connected by ethernet but the option to hook up to MoCA is not listed. I did connect the MoCA adapter to the Premiere as I was instructed to by Tivo technical support. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

valmal1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 AM   #765
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by valmal1957 View Post
Hi everyone, I have set up my Roamio Pro directly into my cable modem/router (which is Verizon Fios and less than a year old) My only problem is that on my Tivo Premiere says it is connected by ethernet but the option to hook up to MoCA is not listed. I did connect the MoCA adapter to the Premiere as I was instructed to by Tivo technical support. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
What version premiere do you have? Only the Premiere 4 has moca I believe. Also, if you're using a moca adapter then that usually converts the coax ethernet signal back to CAT5,5e,6 ethernet for your device. Sounds like that's why your premiere is saying it's connected to ethernet and not moca, because as far as your premiere knows it's just Ethernet. What do you have connected between your moca adapter and Premiere, as instructed by TiVo support? (Coax, ethernet, etc)

HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: