TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
xyz

Help setting up tivo premiere

HI everyone,
I just got a tivo premiere. I don't really know too much about all this stuff, so I don't know if this is a stupid question or not so please bear with me. I have a cable box, the tivo and the cable internet. If I take the cable from the wall and it goes into the in side of the splitter, one cable goes from out side of splitter to cable box and the instructions (I think) are saying to put the other side into the tivo so where does the cable from the modem go? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #2

Do you still want a cable box when you have a Tivo? If so then you need a 3 way splitter and run one wire to each device. Otherwise, get rid of the cable box and just have the Tivo and the modem.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
replaytv
unRegistered User

The cable for the internet needs to go into your router, then to the Premiere. Or you can connect with wireless.
Contact Tivo. you can chat with them or talk to them on the phone.
http://support.tivo.com/

We don't really have enough info to help you.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
HI everyone,
I just got a tivo premiere. I don't really know too much about all this stuff, so I don't know if this is a stupid question or not so please bear with me. I have a cable box, the tivo and the cable internet. If I take the cable from the wall and it goes into the in side of the splitter, one cable goes from out side of splitter to cable box and the instructions (I think) are saying to put the other side into the tivo so where does the cable from the modem go? Thanks in advance.
Ask your cable company if they have a CableCard that replaces the cable box. Usually that is the case. The card would install in the Tivo itself.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
xyz

Thank you everyone. I'm going to get a three way splitter. I really feel stupid now, that was so obvious!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

The only stupid question is the one not asked...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
sharkster

I didn't even know you could use a cable box with the Premiere.

When I replaced my Series 2 Tivos with Premieres I had to replace those two cable boxes with CableCARDs. Except for no longer having On Demand, it's much nicer, IMO.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
xyz

Well I'm about to ask another dumb question. The reason I didn't want to get rid of the cable box was because of On Demand. I just hooked everything up and went through guided setup and then went to live to and theres nothing there. When I went to check signal strength it said strength unavailable because there are no digital channels, so do I have to have a cable card? I don't even think I understand what a cable card is for.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Well I'm about to ask another dumb question. The reason I didn't want to get rid of the cable box was because of On Demand. I just hooked everything up and went through guided setup and then went to live to and theres nothing there. When I went to check signal strength it said strength unavailable because there are no digital channels, so do I have to have a cable card? I don't even think I understand what a cable card is for.
A CableCARD translates where the channels are for the Tivo, if you're on cable, you will need a CableCARD, otherwise even if you can find channels, you won't have guide data.

Also be sure you have the cable on the Cable input not Antenna if you have a 2 tuner Premiere.