TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2015, 03:03 PM   #271
jmbach

What is the motherboard your computer is using.

Also is the drive hooked up directly to the motherboard SATA connection or via an enclosure. I have seen people using enclosures via either eStata or USB have that issue. Using a dock doesn't have this problem.

Last edited by jmbach : 01-17-2015 at 03:10 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #272
paulb7873

yes it is directly connected. I just tried it in another computer with the same problem. I am betting it is because it came out of an external hard drive. I am going to pop it back in and return it. buy another one. I know my local store will have a segate 5900rpm a wd green 4tb (same HD - enclosure), 4tb red, maybe purple. what do u think?
paulb7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #273
jmbach

Whichever has the best price. I have used all but the purple. My preference is red because of the warranty.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #274
telemark

@paulb7873: If you want something working without any more effort, exchange the drive. Ya, different people prefer basic Green, AV-GP, Red, or Purple, for different reasons. What kind of Roamio do you have?

I do find the original question interesting. Should the WD MyBook be a supported drive for this? The only advantage I can think of is it's easy to find in retail stores, and often goes on sale.

The issue appears to be that drive is restricted to be a bit smaller than standard 4TB drives, and the configuration seems to have removed the HPA ATA commands as well, which is normally used to fix it. The options are to have a different image for that sector count, or see if a DCO reset will remove those customizations. If the DCO reset does turn out to work, the drive would no longer work if put back into the case housing.

Last edited by telemark : 01-17-2015 at 07:50 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:56 PM   #275
paulb7873

on my way to compusa now. Yeah just like you said I saw your guide and the easiest thing was to run to Walmart and get the my book 4tb. They sell externals and its two secs down the road. Takes two seconds to pop it out and I figured if it didn't work I would just pop it back in and return it. I defiantly appreciate the help. I will keep you posted on my new drive and let you know. hopefully have it working in a few hrs. I hope. lol No externals!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #276
paulb7873

Ok got it! Went 2 best buy instead they only had the 5900RPM Segate Hard Drive. I wanted to go with WD and was hopping to get the same drive that was not working just in the desktop version to see whats up. Worked like a charm! Hopefully this HD is powerfull enough to handle multiple streams. We shall see. It is more quiet then the WD, but both were unnoticeable! I am still not giving up on the external lol. I am doing a secure erase to zero all the sectors and try one last time 4 fun. The secure erase will take a day tho. Pretty interesting but when you have the right drive it couldn't be easier. Thank you for your help!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #277
aaronwt
HD Addict

The 5900 rpm seagates are easily faster than the WD intellipower drives.
53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #278
telemark

@paulb7873: if you post the sector count and sector size of the raw MyBook, I could make a custom image for that drive size, but you'd have to test it yourself otherwise, to see if the Roamio likes it or if it spins down too much.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote