TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
Joe_P15

Need Help with S03 Error on Tivo HD

OK, so I have a Tivo HD with an upgraded 1TB drive in it that has started giving me the dreaded S03 error.

I tried to modify my setup info and now I'm stuck in the continual Guided Setup loop and can't get out of it.

I've tried both the 57 and 58 kickstarts to no avail and spoken with Tivo Customer Service. The nice woman there informed me that it sounds like the drive is bad and would need to be replaced.

Just for kicks, I checked the status of the capacitors on the power supply but they were fine (not bulging).

I've also disconnected my tuning adapter, but so far that hasn't helped.

With apparently nothing working, I've resigned myself to replacing the hard drive, but I'm wondering what will work best.

I would like to preserve my recordings from the upgraded hard drive that's failing if possible.

If I use WinMFS to do a disk-to-disk copy, will that solve the problem?

I do have the original 160GB drive that came with the unit, but I'd rather not copy that drive because it won't have all my current recordings. I did transfer everything I could, but there are still a lot of recordings that cannot be transferred due to copyright restrictions. (Thanks, Time Warner!)

The only other time I had a problem with a hard drive on a Tivo was with my Sony Series 1 unit which GSOD'd on me and I was able to copy my shows from one drive to the other without a problem.

Please help!!!

Thanks,
Joe
Joe_P15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
rmcurtis

I would recommend putting your original 160GB drive in the TiVo to make sure it works with a known good drive. That will rule everything else out, if it works fine, or indicate that there is some other problem.

Then you can decide if you want to get a new drive.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
Joe_P15

Good idea

That's actually a really good idea and I will definitely try it.

Putting the original drive back in would certainly rule out any other hardware issue first.

But, my bigger concern is: Can I image the upgraded 1TB drive that is apparently failing onto a new drive so that I can preserve my recordings that I couldn't transfer off the unit (Like HBO shows, etc.)?

Or, will using WinMFS (or any other tools) copy over the data corruption from the old drive?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P15 View Post
But, my bigger concern is: Can I image the upgraded 1TB drive that is apparently failing onto a new drive so that I can preserve my recordings that I couldn't transfer off the unit (Like HBO shows, etc.)?

Or, will using WinMFS (or any other tools) copy over the data corruption from the old drive?
I don't know if corruption is copied over, but I don't think it would hurt anything if you try.
Worst case, you lose the time involved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
unitron

Originally your problem was the S03 error.

Now your problem is being stuck in GS.

A solution to the S03 error won't help.

Where exactly is GS failing?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Joe_P15

Actually...

The original problem was no garbage collection.

I didn't get the S03 error until I tried to force it by changing my location in Guided Setup.

That's the first time the S03 error popped up. Now, it's stuck.

The recordings are there. I was able to transfer a lot of them over using Multi-Room Viewing or Tivo Desktop, but I would prefer to preserve everything.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
The original problem was no garbage collection.

I didn't get the S03 error until I tried to force it by changing my location in Guided Setup.

That's the first time the S03 error popped up. Now, it's stuck.

The recordings are there. I was able to transfer a lot of them over using Multi-Room Viewing or Tivo Desktop, but I would prefer to preserve everything.
Where, exactly, in Guided Setup is it stuck?

Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Joe_P15

Where it gets stuck

It's getting stuck during the data load for the Cable Provider.

It completes Preparing, Connecting, Getting Info, and Disconnecting successfully.

During Loading info, it gets to "Loading..." but does not ever get to a % loaded.

So, it isn't even allowing me to select my cable provider.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Are you able to go back and select a different provider?

If so, you might be able to get out of GS by choosing another provider and then lying to the Tivo with regards to channel line-up, etc.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
Joe_P15

That's what I was trying to do

But it isn't loading up the providers for me to pick.

I did take my original drive and was able to re-install into the unit and so far everything looks good.

So, the issue does not appear to be related to hardware other than the hard drive.

It appears that the upgraded drive needs to be replaced. What I don't know is whether using WinMFS to copy the contents from the upgraded drive will copy the bad data over or not and cause the new drive to do the same thing.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
But it isn't loading up the providers for me to pick.

I did take my original drive and was able to re-install into the unit and so far everything looks good.

So, the issue does not appear to be related to hardware other than the hard drive.

It appears that the upgraded drive needs to be replaced. What I don't know is whether using WinMFS to copy the contents from the upgraded drive will copy the bad data over or not and cause the new drive to do the same thing.
Whatever you do, don't run GS on that original drive.

It seems people only get stuck in GS during the parts that involve contacting the TiVo servers.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Joe_P15

Daily Call

I haven't run GS on the original drive, but it did need to make a daily call because that drive has been out of the Tivo for about 2 years. So, it had no data at all.

I purposely kept it someplace safe just in case I ever needed it.

It's 92% done loading data.

But has anyone who has encountered the S03 error and gotten stuck in GS ever tried to copy data from the bad drive to a new drive? If so, what were the results?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I haven't run GS on the original drive, but it did need to make a daily call because that drive has been out of the Tivo for about 2 years. So, it had no data at all.

I purposely kept it someplace safe just in case I ever needed it.

It's 92% done loading data.

But has anyone who has encountered the S03 error and gotten stuck in GS ever tried to copy data from the bad drive to a new drive? If so, what were the results?
Consensus seems to be that the TiVos most likely to get hit with an S03 error are ones that haven't "phoned home" in quite some time, unfortunately.

Hope you get to 100% without incident.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
Joe_P15

Garbage Collecting, not Daily Call

The S03 error seems to have Garbage Collecting (GC) at its root, not failing to phone home.

What typically seems to happen is that because the unit doesn't complete GC, it thinks that it hasn't phoned home. When, in fact, it has.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
The S03 error seems to have Garbage Collecting (GC) at its root, not failing to phone home.

What typically seems to happen is that because the unit doesn't complete GC, it thinks that it hasn't phoned home. When, in fact, it has.
Which one might think would make one think that all it need do is "phone home" again, but apparently the "call" fails for some reason, which leads one to wonder if there might be something about the mothership that contributes to the problem.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
DilRmz

Having the same problem

I am still stuck in Guided Setup loading data final stage 72% then I get the S03 error.

I don't want loose SP or recorded content. In my case, the Tivo was disconnection from service for 4 months and did call home. I had switched from TW to Uverse, who does not work w/ tivo, then switched back to TW.

My tivo is connected to an expander so I'm not sure where the problem is. Does the kickstart 57 work with the expander connected? If I disconnect the expander all of the content will be lost.

How do you do a kickstart 57 if tivo is stuck in GS? Is that the best option to 'de-frag' without loosing content?
DilRmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DilRmz View Post
I am still stuck in Guided Setup loading data final stage 72% then I get the S03 error.

I don't want loose SP or recorded content. In my case, the Tivo was disconnection from service for 4 months and did call home. I had switched from TW to Uverse, who does not work w/ tivo, then switched back to TW.

My tivo is connected to an expander so I'm not sure where the problem is. Does the kickstart 57 work with the expander connected? If I disconnect the expander all of the content will be lost.

How do you do a kickstart 57 if tivo is stuck in GS? Is that the best option to 'de-frag' without loosing content?
You do a kickstart about 60 seconds after plugging in the power cord, before the "just a few more minutes" screen comes up.

That's when the lights on the front dim or change or flicker or whatever depending on model number and that's when you hit pause and then enter the KS code.

That's long before it gets far enough for the TiVo to notice that it's stuck in GS.

Unplug the TiVo, then the external, then check the eSATA cable to make sure it's firmly seated at both ends, then re-power the external and plug the TiVo back into the wall socket, keep an eye on the second hand on your watch and around 60 seconds after the first welcome screen pops up you'll get your chance to hit pause and enter the KS code.

I'd go ahead and use 58, which contains 57 and more.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #18
tootal2

You can not fix a s03 error in the guided setup. you have to re image your hard drive with a working copy.

I did the same thing myself next time you get a s03 error just unplug the internet for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You do a kickstart about 60 seconds after plugging in the power cord, before the "just a few more minutes" screen comes up.

That's when the lights on the front dim or change or flicker or whatever depending on model number and that's when you hit pause and then enter the KS code.

That's long before it gets far enough for the TiVo to notice that it's stuck in GS.

Unplug the TiVo, then the external, then check the eSATA cable to make sure it's firmly seated at both ends, then re-power the external and plug the TiVo back into the wall socket, keep an eye on the second hand on your watch and around 60 seconds after the first welcome screen pops up you'll get your chance to hit pause and enter the KS code.

I'd go ahead and use 58, which contains 57 and more.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
pcbrew

I just went through this with an S2 I was reviving to use with an OTA tuner box for a back room. Had to re-install the original drive, go through the sw update process, etc., then pull it and re-image the 750GB drive that was giving me problems.
After that, it went through GS fine. I lost what I had one it but it was just some really old stuff.
(648) Series3 - 750GB (LT, dead PS for now)
pcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
tootal2

I think tivo should put some kind of warning in the guided setup about the s03 error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
I just went through this with an S2 I was reviving to use with an OTA tuner box for a back room. Had to re-install the original drive, go through the sw update process, etc., then pull it and re-image the 750GB drive that was giving me problems.
After that, it went through GS fine. I lost what I had one it but it was just some really old stuff.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote