Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

'Hawaii Five-0' To Let Viewers Choose Episode Ending

'Hawaii Five-0' To Let Viewers Choose Episode Ending With Real-Time Vote

'Hawaii Five-0' will let viewers choose the culprit and the episode ending with a real-time vote when it returns on January 14.

For the first time in TV history, fans will be able to vote on the CBS website or Twitter during both East and West Coast broadcasts to select their own ending.

The episode will see the mystery begin when the team must investigate the death of an O'ahu State University professor. His boss, his teaching assistant and a student who he busted for cheating are all viable suspects.

To vote, after each of the suspect's motives is revealed, viewers can vote to select either #theBoss, #theTA or #theStudent as the culprit, any of whom could have committed the crime. The votes will be tallied immediately and the most popular ending will make it to the broadcast.

"I've always felt the most fun aspect of watching a mystery is trying to figure out 'whodunit,'" says Executive Producer Peter Lenkov. "Now the Hawaii Five-0 viewers will actually get the chance to tell us who they think committed the crime and we will listen. I love that our dedicated and attentive fans will actually play a part in resolving our story."

Separate voting will occur for East/Central and Pacific broadcasts but all three endings will be available after the airing on the CBS website. 'Hawaii Five-0' airs at 10 PM on Mondays nights.

from TV Shark.com
2 DirecTV HR20-700 HD DVR's
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Idearat

I'm not impressed with the idea. It's like the movie Clue, where there were multiple endings shown at different theaters. It's the opposite of a whodunnit then, where most of the story has nothing to do with who ends up being the bad guy.

I guess this would appeal to the people to religiously vote on all the contest shows, making them feel special because their opinion is counted.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
I'm not impressed with the idea. It's like the movie Clue, where there were multiple endings shown at different theaters. It's the opposite of a whodunnit then, where most of the story has nothing to do with who ends up being the bad guy.

I guess this would appeal to the people to religiously vote on all the contest shows, making them feel special because their opinion is counted.
I agree. It merely means that no matter how closely you watch the show and analyze the clues, they have written and produced all three endings, so you have absolutely no way to correctly deduce who is.guilty. Clue had the same problem, and was a lousy movie even without the multi-ending catch.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
I hope this is an epic fail for many reasons, but mainly I hope it fails SOOOO badly that nobody else ever decides to do something similar.

Are they really getting THAT desperate for live viewers???
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
DouglasPHill

I liked their Victoria's Secret linked episode. This one sounds fun too. I'm in. (ofcourse more Grace Park bikini eps is always good)
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
(ofcourse more Grace Park bikini eps is always good)
I'll take more shots of Michelle Borth in a bikini
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
I hope this is an epic fail for many reasons, but mainly I hope it fails SOOOO badly that nobody else ever decides to do something similar.

Are they really getting THAT desperate for live viewers???
Law & Order: Criminal Intent did something similar several years back and I thought it was a failure.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
sieglinde

I really despise this idea. I rarely watch shows live and will probably watch it the next day. I prefer things written by writers not crowds.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
ADG
Allan

Not to sound cynical, but what makes you think the viewers' votes will have any bearing on anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #10
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
Not to sound cynical, but what makes you think the viewers' votes will have any bearing on anything?
Why wouldn't it? They are filming the multiple endings and all endings will be available online. Why bother filming it that way if you aren't going to air it?
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Law & Order: Criminal Intent did something similar several years back and I thought it was a failure.
Their was also an episode of The A Team which did the same thing. Of course back then you had to use a 1-800 number.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

The show is usually very predictable anyway, so all they need to do is have it point three ways and pick one at the end. We usually have it covered in the first 10 minutes.

Hoping for failure here too. We don't need this c@rp!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Their was also an episode of The A Team which did the same thing. Of course back then you had to use a 1-800 number.
So did Matlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I don't know about the other two, but on Matlock, it was pretty much, "The real criminal is -" and then they pretty much just inserted the selected person, as if he had pulled the name out of thin air.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
sieglinde

OK, all three endings will be on-line? I am caught up with Hawaii 5-0, so I will catch those. Hmm.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Why wouldn't it? They are filming the multiple endings and all endings will be available online. Why bother filming it that way if you aren't going to air it?
It just sounds too gimicky to me. They could easily show any ending they like and say that's what got the most votes. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but I don't know how anyone can prove otherwise either.

Never mind, just my doubting Thomas nature showing through. Bottom line, I agree it's a very silly idea no matter what they do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
OK, all three endings will be on-line? I am caught up with Hawaii 5-0, so I will catch those. Hmm.

Voting or watching online only encourages them. Heck, chatting about it in a public forum encourages them. Even bad ideas that people discuss generates buzz.

I did a search for 'Hawaii Five-0' real-time vote January

And came up with:
About 4,270,000 results (0.27 seconds)
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
marksman
ID-10-T

I stopped watching h50 two or three episodes in because I was not going to be forced to be part of the olaughlin conspiracy and also was too actiony for my taste.

I have been seeing these commercials all weekend and my first impression is it is a horrible idea. I don't really have a second impression other than I am curious to see how it turns out for fans of the show? Will people be forced to buy the DVDs to see the other endings?

One thing I would love is if the did this, let the fans vote and then destroyed the other two endings so they no longer existed and could never be seen. To me that would create some real commitment on behalf of everyone involved.

Imagine if in the future viewers got to choose between three major characters and pick which ending would result in that character being off the show for good.

So now my second opinion is I would LOVE to see some shows use similar techniques to take real risks and create real consequences for the viewers, the writers, the producers the actors. That would interest me.

This seems like it will just be a low to no impact gimmick where everyone will see all three endings in due course and none of it will have any real impact.

What if the choice was:

A) Scott Cahn's character becomes governor of Hawaii
B) Scott Cahn's character has twins
C) Scott Cahn's character is beheaded while he is riding a motorcycle and it slides under a school bus.

Such drastic and disparate outcomes could really generate a lot of interest and ultimately have a massive impact on the show.

So even though I will not participate, watch or purposefully follow up, I will hope at least a little, it inspires someone to take some crazy risks down the road. I would love to see an adequate to above average written show aggressively come up with three or four major choices that would drastically alter a show after each season. It would be fun.

The biggest problem , though, would be offering legitimate choices where the outcome is not predetermined solely based on the options, but good writers should be able to do that. Creatively it could be dangerous but I also think it would force writers to get more creative each season as the viewer twist would set the stage for the next season.

Okay so here is my third opinion, screw h50, I want a new show with a capable writing staff (has to be a drama as comedy is too easy to write yourself out of situations) and at the end of every 6,8,10,13 of 22 episode season the viewers will be provided three or four MAJOR choices that will impact stories drastically. The tough part is the timing, you could do it to start new seasons but I really think it needs to be the final arc of the season. Depending on number of episodes each season I see 1-3 episode arcs playing out these viewer voted changes. The problem is you need to have viewers be current with all episodes when they vote and then give your writers enough time to craft the story and film it.

The simple answer is prewrite all four possibilities and film the two most likely ones. I hate that though as it takes the risk out of it. I literally want the writers and actors on pins and needles as the final vote is announced. This will likely never happen but it is now my dream as to how the reboot of Hawaii 50 will change television forever.