TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
headless chicken

Question When will the next price cut on XL4 be?

For those of you have been tracking TiVo prices for years, could you please shed some insight on when we might expect the company or retailers to slash the price of the XL4? Perhaps around Thanksgiving/Holiday season time?

I'm thinking of investing in a XL4 before the fall TV season begins for the quad tuner capability. I currently have a Series3 with lifetime subscription that has been upgraded to record 300HD, but it only has 2 tuners. The unit also requires 2 cablecards, regardless of whether they are single or multistream, which adds an additional $50/yr to the cable bill.

As much as I love TiVo (I jumped aboard the bandwagon with my the highest capacity Series2), I'm also a savvy shopper and usually only buy a product that I want when I feel I'm receiving a really sizable discount or great deal. If I get an XL4, I'm probably going to want lifetime service for it, and those numbers really add

On a related note, does the XL4 require only 1 multistream cablecard for all 4 tuners?

Last edited by headless chicken : 08-30-2012 at 01:36 AM.
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Yes, only 1 M-Card needed.

Ebay - Electronics Expo, $311.11 + $13.99 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tivo-Premier...-/110939501307

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
On a related note, does the XL4 require only 1 multistream cablecard for all 4 tuners?
Yes just one multistream cablecard.

Nevermind, I see he answered it.

Last edited by MeInDallas : 08-30-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: stupidity in not looking better
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI if you're looking for something cheaper TiVo just released a non-XL 4 tuner unit that's only $250. It has 1/4 the storage (500GB vs 2TB), but it'll save you $100 and you could take the 2TB drive out of your S3 and upgrade it yourself.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

The above link for Elite units (XL4 before the name change) is close to as good as it's going to get, in my opinion. With the just-introduced Premiere 4 at $250 (same thing as Elite/XL4, but with a smaller hard drive), the lineup for the holiday is pretty much set. I don't think prices are going to change at all before the TV season in a few weeks, and if retail prices dip any by the holidays, I don't think it'll be enough worth waiting for.

It might be possible to eek out a little more savings if you're fast enough to grab an occasional Elite sale at $300 (while stock still exists), but otherwise the above link is the way to go.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
headless chicken

Hmm, thanks for the advice. The regular size Premier won't meet my recording demands because I store shows for months before getting around to them. I also did not do the modification/replacement to my S3 hard drive myself.

Perhaps I should look into selling my Series3 with Lifetime to subsidize the cost of an XL4. How much would a S3 with 1TB internal drive with lifetime + backlit remote go for on eBay or Craigslist?
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Selling and older lifetime unit to subsidize the cost of the new TiVo is the best way to upgrade. Making the purchase of lifetime service an even beter option since you get most of the value back when you sell it.

check on ebay for the going rates for lifetime S3 boxes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
Hmm, thanks for the advice. The regular size Premier won't meet my recording demands because I store shows for months before getting around to them. I also did not do the modification/replacement to my S3 hard drive myself.

Perhaps I should look into selling my Series3 with Lifetime to subsidize the cost of an XL4. How much would a S3 with 1TB internal drive with lifetime + backlit remote go for on eBay or Craigslist?
If you are going to sell your S3, I'd advise you buy the XL4 first while the S3 is still on your account so you remain eligible for the Multi Service Discount.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
pcbrew

Will the Premiere Elite at the link above support the TiVo-mini extender or is a true XL4 required?
(648) Series3 - 750GB (LT, dead PS for now)
pcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Will the Premiere Elite at the link above support the TiVo-mini extender or is a true XL4 required?
Yep it'll be supported.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
The Elite is identical to the XL4, just a name change and a front plate swap with the new name. My TiVo Account lists it as an XL4.

FYI, I found it interesting that my Elite front plate does not have the THX logo, even though it supposedly is THX Certified and has the THX Optimizer Video.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Elite-XL4.jpg (17.9 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 08-30-2012 at 10:56 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
A true XL4 is an Elite. All they did was change the badge on the front of the box.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The Elite is identical to the XL4, just a name change and a front plate swap with the new name. My TiVo Account lists it as an XL4.

FYI, I found it interesting that my Elite front plate does not have the THX logo, even though it supposedly is THX Certified and has the THX Optimizer Video.
My October launch Elite has THX written on the front plate. But my April Elite does not.

I just noticed this.

I guess I need to return it to BestBuy and exchange it.