TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
Guys, if you're not using Tivo Desktop, what ARE you using?
pyTivo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #32
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
pyTivo.
I will agree it is generally the best solution for a GoBack server, and what most people, including me, use. There are other solutions, however. Galleon is one. A NAS (like the ReadyNAS) that supports TiVo units is another. That said, I also agree pyTivo is probably the best solution for the OP, but it is wise to let people know there are other options, as well.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #33
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy76 View Post
Where else would it put it by default? I mean that's only normal a program's going to default to your default drive, particularly given most PCs only have a single drive.
Totally off-topic, but interestingly enough, I loaded Windows XP on a system just a couple of days ago, and it assigned H: to the hard drive.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #34
unitron

Not counting the St. TiVo's Day Massacre problem, or pretending that they send out patches to the TiVos themselves to fix the actual problem, to what extent do ReadyNAS servers support TiVo?

Do they show up in the NPL just like the MTR folder on a PC running TD?

Is there any more to it than that?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #35
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey4 View Post
which would be a good reason not to use a drive letter. However, the network address of \\readyshare\blah\blah should be constant throughout the system and valid before any user logs in.
Yep. It is perfectly brain dead TDT does not allow a network resource to be specified.

Quote:
I access that drive from other devices with no one logged in. TDT is not being smart here. I know... I know... that's one reason you don't use TDT...
Right you are, me laddie!

Quote:
I assume the services TDT starts up are for AllUsers rather than a user. I would prefer it started up no services until I am ready to use it, but that's another story...
Well, I certainly do start pyTivo along with all the other services on the RAID server at boot time. There is really no point in not doing so, and it is far more convenient than having to run over to a PC to start it whenever I want to transfer a video. That said, pyTivo can easily be started or stopped from any PC in the house.

Quote:
What I meant by
"On the PC, WMP accesses and plays from either location. So now I'm not sure of any benefit of keeping them inside the Tivo Desktop." ...
is that I could utilize my network drive by using TDT just for the transfer and then manually copy them over to the network drive.
Yeah or write a script to do it. That's a kludge, though. It's much easier just to run pyTivo on the file server.

Quote:
I was trying to learn if there was any other reason to keep them on the hard drive in "My Tivo Recordings" visible to TDT. Seeing as you don't even like/use TDT, I guess you would say no. The underlying question is does TDT have any features I will be missing by moving my transferred files out immediately after transfer?
Well, TDT Plus does, but there are far better apps to handle those, as well, whihc don't have the limitations of TDT.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #36
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Not counting the St. TiVo's Day Massacre problem, or pretending that they send out patches to the TiVos themselves to fix the actual problem, to what extent do ReadyNAS servers support TiVo?

Do they show up in the NPL just like the MTR folder on a PC running TD?

Is there any more to it than that?
I've never played with one, so I really can't say with any authority.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #37
NowPlaying

I added a hard drive to my desktop to store my video collection but it soon ran out of space. I recently bit-the-bullet and purchased a NAS for my file storage. I wrote about it on my blog here: http://www.craigharris.org/2013/02/2...-synology-nas/

It works great with PyTivo. I haven't tried running PyTivo on the NAS itself yet but I have read that it can be done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NowPlaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #38
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowPlaying View Post
I added a hard drive to my desktop to store my video collection but it soon ran out of space. I recently bit-the-bullet and purchased a NAS for my file storage. I wrote about it on my blog here: http://www.craigharris.org/2013/02/2...-synology-nas/

It works great with PyTivo. I haven't tried running PyTivo on the NAS itself yet but I have read that it can be done.
A quote from your blog:

-------------
When I ran out of room I added a 2TB data drive. Then it started getting full… If you are like many people you keep much of your file collection on an external USB drive. BAD! External drives are great for backups and Sneaker Net’ting large files but horrible for storage as (at least in my experience) their failure rate is quite high.
------------

The physical drives used in external (e.g., USB) drives and those you installed in your NAS are the same drives. Failure rate of the drives themselves should be identical, except for manufacturer differences.

The only different points of failure would be your computer's hardware v.s. NAS hardware. Since most NAS servers are essentially packaged Linux computers, I think the hardware failure rate here would be similar as well. If you are running Windows, I'd give the nod to the NAS on a better software failure rate.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #39
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by howards View Post
The physical drives used in external (e.g., USB) drives and those you installed in your NAS are the same drives. Failure rate of the drives themselves should be identical, except for manufacturer differences.
Not necessarily. First of all, some USB enclosures are not very well vented, and the internal temps may be much higher in some cases. Probably more importantly, removable drives tend to get... well... removed. They tend to get bounced around a bit. This may well result in higher failure rates for the same piece of hardware used in various enclosures.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #40
howards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Not necessarily. First of all, some USB enclosures are not very well vented, and the internal temps may be much higher in some cases. Probably more importantly, removable drives tend to get... well... removed. They tend to get bounced around a bit. This may well result in higher failure rates for the same piece of hardware used in various enclosures.
Drives can be abused regardless of the enclosure that contains them. You think NAS drives aren't removable?

If you're talking about industrial-strength NAS solutions that cost thousands, then I'd agree they are probably better cooled. Home NAS units aren't any better cooled than USB drives, IMO, and may be worse due to having multiple drives in close proximity.
howards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #41
lrhorer

Quote:
Drives can be abused regardless of the enclosure that contains them. You think NAS drives aren't removable?
Of course they are. Internal drives in a PC are removable, as well. People do not ordinarily pick them up and move them around the house - or the city - on a daily basis, however.

Quote:
Home NAS units aren't any better cooled than USB drives, IMO, and may be worse due to having multiple drives in close proximity.
Most NAS systems I have seen have decent cooling. Admittedly some very low end ones do not. I have seen some truly abysmal cooling in external hard drives, however. As I said, however, it is probably getting bounced around that does most external drives in.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #42
NowPlaying

Quote:
As I stated in my Blog, it is my experience that USB drives have a much higher failure rate. Perhaps I have just had a string of bad luck. I have owned several USB drives from several manufacturers and all have failed much sooner that I expected. As others have stated it is most likely due to heat build up in the enclosures.

NowPlaying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #43
unitron

External drives seem to tend to have shorter warranty periods than retail bare drives.

I'm thinking the manufacturers know something.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #44
Puppy76

It seems like they should have active cooling fans, if nothing else...I keep seeing reviews saying how hot different external drives get, and how they fail fast... Of course I suppose most people who don't have issues won't review it, but still it worries me.
Puppy76 is offline   Reply With Quote