TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Signdy

best way to set up Series 2?

I've just moved to a new house. The new cable company installed a phone/internet modem in the den for the main TV and main computer. I want to set up my Series 2 TiVo with my older model TV in the bedroom. But I can't do the Guided Set-up with a phone line because apparently the phone lines only work where the modem is ... on the other side of the house. And I'm confused by the broadband connection options. I see conflicting info about what kind of adapter to get. I see customer reviews that the TiVo wireless adapter isn't that good. Why does this have to be so complicated?? The cable company won't help me because they "don't support TiVo." And I'm not sure how TiVo can help if they don't know how my cable company set me up. I hate being so helpless! Suggestions appreciated.
Signdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can either use wired ethernet or the Tivo wireless G adapter. You would also need a wireless router to be able to use wireless. A Series 2 is basically out of date technology, so the newer Tivo Wireless N adapter won't work with it.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If your Series 2 is a single tuner unit, you will need a USB to ethernet adapter for a broadband connection.

Here is TiVos list of compatible wireless and wired adapters for Series 2 models:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...pter%20list#L2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
buscuitboy

The first thing to figure out; is your Series 2 a single tuner or dual tuner? If its a dual tuner, then it already has a standard ethernet port on its rear panel & another option to get it connected to your home network is getting a wireless ethernet bridge adapter of some kind. This kind of device basically turns ANY Ethernet enabled device into a wireless device. I think its a better option than the TiVo wireless adapter as it can then also be used with other devices in the future if desired.

I use a Netgear WGPS606 with my TiVo Series 2 (dual tuner) and it works great. It connects to my home network wirelessly. It has a total of four Ethernet ports so in addition to using it with my Series 2 TiVo, I could hook up 3 more ethernet devices to it if I wanted (Xbox, PS3, media streamer, blue ray player, Smart TV, etc.).

If your Series 2 is a single tuner (no ethernet port on back), then the above suggestions are probably the only way to go.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Signdy

Thanks, everybody. My Series 2 is a single tuner. The wireless router we have now is a Wireless N Router, so I guess that means an adaptor would also have to be an N, right? I'm assuming a Wireless G adapter won't do any good with a Wireless N router? That leaves me with the wired ethernet option. I hate to ask this, but what does the ethernet plug into? The TiVo on one end, obviously, but what on the other end? The computer and router are across the house.

Would I make my life easier by buying a newer TiVo? Or settling for the cable company's DVR?
Signdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signdy View Post
Thanks, everybody. My Series 2 is a single tuner. The wireless router we have now is a Wireless N Router, so I guess that means an adaptor would also have to be an N, right? I'm assuming a Wireless G adapter won't do any good with a Wireless N router? That leaves me with the wired ethernet option. I hate to ask this, but what does the ethernet plug into? The TiVo on one end, obviously, but what on the other end? The computer and router are across the house.

Would I make my life easier by buying a newer TiVo? Or settling for the cable company's DVR?
Wireless G is backwards compatible with a wireless N router.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

^^^

That.

Refer to my link above. It starts with a list of compatible wireless adapters. You just have to make sure they have USB connectivity.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
ggieseke

For wireless, just get the TiVo-branded AGO100. It's the only one that supports WPA encryption and the rest of the adapters on the compatibility list are old and pretty hard to find.

The AGO100 will also be faster because it offloads some of the work on to the adapter. It's only about $40 on Amazon and even cheaper used.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signdy View Post
I've just moved to a new house. The new cable company installed a phone/internet modem in the den for the main TV and main computer. I want to set up my Series 2 TiVo with my older model TV in the bedroom. But I can't do the Guided Set-up with a phone line because apparently the phone lines only work where the modem is ... on the other side of the house. And I'm confused by the broadband connection options. I see conflicting info about what kind of adapter to get. I see customer reviews that the TiVo wireless adapter isn't that good. Why does this have to be so complicated?? The cable company won't help me because they "don't support TiVo." And I'm not sure how TiVo can help if they don't know how my cable company set me up. I hate being so helpless! Suggestions appreciated.
Are you getting telephone service from the telephone company or the cable company?

Is there a telephone that plugs into the wall in the bedroom?

Does it work?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
classicsat
Astute User

I wouldn't try using the phone service from the cable provider.

Try the network. You can set the TiVo for the network before to redo Guided Setup, or after, if it has 7.2 or later software.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote