TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 104 votes, 4.95 average.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #2371
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
Has WD published workload specifications for the Red and Purple drives? I've seen them in reviews (e.g. anandtech, tomshardware), but never in a WD published specifications document. If you have links to anything, I'd appreciate seeing them.

There are a lot of WD documents explaining hard drive reliability in general and why they are including the workload spec now on enterprise drives. e.g. link1,link2.
I started at Anandtech, and worked my way to verifying it somewhere buried deep within WD's site (places you can't get to starting off at their site). The one drive I can find no estimated or published TB/yr on, that I looked high and low for, was the AV-GP (now renamed just "AV").

If I find my way back, I'll post the links. I remember I wasn't about to post the ratings here, going by the word of a single review site. So, there should be a post somewhere around here, in which I included the links, so everybody could verify for themselves.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #2372
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I started at Anandtech, and worked my way to verifying it somewhere buried deep within WD's site (places you can't get to starting off at their site). The one drive I can find no estimated or published TB/yr on, that I looked high and low for, was the AV-GP (now renamed just "AV").

If I find my way back, I'll post the links. I remember I wasn't about to post the ratings here, going by the word of a single review site. So, there should be a post somewhere around here, in which I included the links, so everybody could verify for themselves.
If you can find the links again, I'd appreciate seeing them. Even anandtech seems to have inconsistent information. For example: [link]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandtech
On a comparative basis, the WD Red apparently has a workload rating of less than 100 TB/yr (the client storage division doesn't give out specific numbers) despite coming with a higher MTBF rating (1M hours compared to the 800K for the WD Se).
versus [link]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandtech
That said, WD expects (unofficially) the Red drives to be able to handle workloads between 120 and 150 TB/year.

Last edited by JamieP : 12-18-2014 at 09:53 PM.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #2373
SVTarHeel

We're considering a move to the basic Roamio so we can have OTA access now but with CableCard access as a safety net in the future. I'll definitely upgrade the hard drive. Does anyone have a specific wall wart model number I can look for as an upgrade rather than endless searching for the right specs, positive/negative, etc.?
SVTarHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #2374
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post
We're considering a move to the basic Roamio so we can have OTA access now but with CableCard access as a safety net in the future. I'll definitely upgrade the hard drive. Does anyone have a specific wall wart model number I can look for as an upgrade rather than endless searching for the right specs, positive/negative, etc.?
12V <- Only, no more, no less
2.5A or 3.0A, most people are getting. Which equates to 30watts or 36watts

Don't buy (pay) for something less than 2.5A, cause the included one is 2.0A, You would you just keep using that one for free, if you can't find better.

There's disagreement here on going as high as 4.0A or 5.0A, but those are more rare and expensive typically anyway.

I've been suggesting this LiteOn, because there are a lot of them in circulation (from returned cable boxes) on eBay, it keeps the price low. Physically fits so has been tested in that way.

Those specs are:
Output: 12V 2.5A 30W
Part Number: 4019611B
AC Adapter Model: PB-1300-02SA
Barrel Connecter size:
- Int. Diameter: 2.50mm
- Ext. Diameter: 5.50mm

Delta's a good brand too, but you'd have to check the Barrel Size is right.
Really don't pay more than $15 for something used. There's cheaper things in new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LiteOn.jpg (64.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by telemark : Today at 12:59 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #2375
SVTarHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I've been suggesting this LiteOn...AC Adapter Model: PB-1300-02SA
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.
SVTarHeel is offline   Reply With Quote