TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
nrnoble

Emergency Broadcast System tests are far too frequent

For the past few months I've been getting Emergency Broadcast System tests every single day, at all hours of the day, on all channels. It starting to get annoying because about 50% of my recordings have Emergency Broadcast System test. Last night in the middle of a HBO movie I get a 30 second Emergency Broadcast System test. The worst was this weekend during the NFL playoff game with Seahawks vs 49s, they decided to have a test. If they want to tick people off, right in the middle of NFL play game is truly the best day\time.

OK I get it, they need to test the system, but they are testing it so much it is like Chicken Little declaring the sky is falling several times a day, if there is a actual Emergency, people are going to blow it off as just another annoying test.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
takeshi

Must be local as I haven't had them every day. Contact whoever's responsible for the testing in your area.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Wish ours were only 30 secs! (They last 2 mins.) We don't get them that often but when we do they freeze the TiVo and do not even properly show the emergency message. Usually we get 2 mins of CSPAN2. I'm afraid if I complain to TWC they will make it worse trying to fix it, since they don't have a clue about TiVo and CableCARD.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
HomeUser

When you are not watching it put the TiVo DVR into stand-by "Settings & Messages" -> "Standby" on the Premiere. Then the DVR will know you are not watching it and will not change channels for the EAS message.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
nrnoble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Wish ours were only 30 secs! (They last 2 mins.) We don't get them that often but when we do they freeze the TiVo and do not even properly show the emergency message. Usually we get 2 mins of CSPAN2. I'm afraid if I complain to TWC they will make it worse trying to fix it, since they don't have a clue about TiVo and CableCARD.
I think they actually do last 1-2 minutes, but only when I watch live, if it is a recorded show the Tivo seems to handle so its not recording the full EBS message.

I am with comcast in the Seattle area. My cynical side imagines that there is a Homer Simpson type guy in some master control room and he very board, so he keeps hitting the "Run EBS Test" just to have something to do, and then he gets a good laugh when the 1000s customers call in to complain that right in the middle of NFL football they are suddenly watching a damn EBS test for two minutes.

Also, I know what you mean about trying to fix cablecard issues and making it worse. I could tell you a long horror story, but the short version is one night I lost HBO, so I called asking them to fix it, well, they fixed so badly all I had was channels 2-13 for 2 weeks (all other channels were blocked). And get this, to fix it, they had to send out a Tech guy, to called another tech guy on his mobile phone, and it was fixed 30 second later. It took two weeks for them to fix it, and it was a very very easy fix, but only one guy at Comcast knew how to correct the problem. It took me two weeks (20+ phone calls) to track down that "one guy". And trust me, the full version of this story is far far worse, such as they sent out 5 different techs before they sent out the tech who made the 30 second call that got it fixed.
Tivo user since 1999.

Last edited by nrnoble : 01-16-2013 at 02:24 AM.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote