TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #481
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

unitron you or right sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
A Metal-Oxide Varistor (variable resistor) is supposed to have very high resistance, so high that it reads as if it were "open".

That only changes when there is a "spike", that is, a very high difference in electrical potential, a very high voltage, between the two places where it's connected, which is usually across the AC line.

120V AC actually varies (60 times per second) from 0 Volts up to about 170 Volts and then back to 0 and "down" to about 170 Volts but with polarity reversed from the first half of the cycle.

Only if something, like lightning somewhere vaguely nearby, for example, puts a spike up above say 300 Volts or so on the line does the MOV suddenly become extremely conductive, essentially shorting that higher voltage to ground at which point the MOV becomes very "resistant" again until the next spike comes along. The spikes are much shorter in length than either half of a regular AC cycle.

Generally a spike isn't strong enough to push much current, but the much higher voltage will burn out semiconductor junctions and that's how it does damage.

If you get a strike near enough that you wind up with scorch marks, that's not what I'm talking about, and that's something that the MOV wouldn't have been able to prevent.
____________________________________________________________ _

I have seen a MOV short out and since it's across the AC in I think it would be a good idea to remove it just for testing. I think he is going to have a hard time finding the short on this on. I had one that was popping fuses it was the Xformer shorted out and I have no idea where to find one. It would be nice to have schematic on this unit. By the way how have you been?

timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:36 AM   #482
unitron

I'm bumping this thread to make it easier to find 'cause I keep having to point people in the S3 forum towards it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #483
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhbtr53 View Post

I have seen a MOV short out and since it's across the AC in I think it would be a good idea to remove it just for testing. I think he is going to have a hard time finding the short on this on. I had one that was popping fuses it was the Xformer shorted out and I have no idea where to find one. It would be nice to have schematic on this unit. By the way how have you been?
MOV's also wear out as a function of the number and severity of spikes that they are exposed to. I believe they go open circuit in this case, which means there will be no obvious symptom (other than lack of protection).

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 12-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #484
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

There built to go open but

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
MOV's also wear out as a function of the number and severity of spikes that they are exposed to. I believe they go open circuit in this case, which means there will be no obvious symptom (other than lack of protection).

I have seen them short close. When my UPS got hit with a bunch of power surges I had two short so I make it a habit to take them out for testing. Of course with a dead short it could be anything.
I think the MOV that's on the market today is china junk.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:50 AM   #485
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm bumping this thread to make it easier to find 'cause I keep having to point people in the S3 forum towards it.
How about a mod making this a 'sticky'??
Shouldn't this be in the Series 3 sub forum in the first place??

Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #486
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
How about a mod making this a 'sticky'??
Shouldn't this be in the Series 3 sub forum in the first place??
Actually it should have been a Series 2 *and* 3 bad cap thread.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #487
PooBear

Wanted to say thank you to the OP. Because of your post I was once again able resurrected my S3 with lifetime.

PooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #488
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooBear View Post
Wanted to say thank you to the OP. Because of your post I was once again able resurrected my S3 with lifetime.
How did you accomplish? Yourself, or did you find a service?

Looking for a reasonable cost(?) service for mine.

Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:04 AM   #489
PooBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
How did you accomplish? Yourself, or did you find a service?

Looking for a reasonable cost(?) service for mine.
I purchased the parts through Digi-Key and did it myself. It took about an hour to replace all of them. Make sure you have a good soldering iron, desoldering braid, solder and a magnifying glass.

PooBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:09 AM   #490
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooBear View Post
I purchased the parts through Digi-Key and did it myself. It took about an hour to replace all of them. Make sure you have a good soldering iron, desoldering braid, solder and a magnifying glass.
Thanks. No exp with solder.

Will just do without until I can find a cheap service.

Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #491
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwit View Post
Thanks. No exp with solder.

Will just do without until I can find a cheap service.
Give a shout out to @timhbtr53 he's been known to offer the service to the TCF family.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #492
dwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Give a shout out to @timhbtr53 he's been known to offer the service to the TCF family.
Thanks. I may try that.

Do you know his rate(s)?

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #493
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

dwit what's up?

Send me a PM. I can help you out.

Thanks Diane..

Old 01-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #494
markr33

My Series 3 is stuck in the reboot cycle. The history of my unit is that almost exactly one year ago, I replaced a bulging capacitor (C701) on the power supply and upgraded the drive to a 2TB (WD Caviar Green), performed the WDIDLE3 /D on it and everything worked fine for a year. I just opened it up and noticed another bulging capacitor (C601) and perhaps also C401 and the capacitor next to it. I checked the 12V supply (yellow) and it is 12.5 [good], and the 5V supply (red) and it is 5.15 [good]. I posted this first part earlier on the WDIDLE thread, but I have more information now, and I found the correct thread for this discussion.

I'm guessing one of two things is happening here:
1. Either the power supply has deteriorated and can't supply enough current for the drive and/or chipset.
OR
2. Somehow WDIDLE3 reversed itself recently and I need to perform it again on the hard drive.

I removed the hard drive (and took it somewhere with desktop access) and created a boot disk with WDIDLE3 on it and lo and behold when I checked WDIDLE3 /R, it seems to have reverted to 62 minutes (3720). So I ran WDIDLE3 /D and checked it and it's back to disabled. Then I brought the drive back home, reassembled everything and it still suffers from the reboot loop. Then I checked the power supplies again and they seem okay, but I also checked the 3.3V supply (orange) and it seems a bit low at 3.05 - 3.1V. So for now I disassembled the power supply and will take it to the office tomorrow where I can replace the offending capacitors (I have all of them [I think] because I bought a full set last year from DigiKey).

Have any of y'all seen a low 3.3V supply cause the endless reboot cycle? At this point, I don't think it's the drive because, one, it's only a year old (WD Caviar Green), and two, I just disabled the park mode. And if anyone has any further ideas, please reply.

If I can't fix my series 3, I have to choose a different TiVo and will need advice about that too. Is everyone going Bolt nowadays? Any way to get TiVo to transfer over lifetime service rather than springing another 600 bucks for it? (because if it's 600 bucks, it ain't gonna happen)

Thanks in advance!!!

markr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:12 PM   #495
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr33 View Post
My Series 3 is stuck in the reboot cycle. The history of my unit is that almost exactly one year ago, I replaced a bulging capacitor (C701) on the power supply and upgraded the drive to a 2TB (WD Caviar Green), performed the WDIDLE3 /D on it and everything worked fine for a year. I just opened it up and noticed another bulging capacitor (C601) and perhaps also C401 and the capacitor next to it. I checked the 12V supply (yellow) and it is 12.5 [good], and the 5V supply (red) and it is 5.15 [good]. I posted this first part earlier on the WDIDLE thread, but I have more information now, and I found the correct thread for this discussion.

1. Either the power supply has deteriorated and can't supply enough current for the drive and/or chipset.
OR
2. Somehow WDIDLE3 reversed itself recently and I need to perform it again on the hard drive.

I removed the hard drive (and took it somewhere with desktop access) and created a boot disk with WDIDLE3 on it and lo and behold when I checked WDIDLE3 /R, it seems to have reverted to 62 minutes (3720). So I ran WDIDLE3 /D and checked it and it's back to disabled. Then I brought the drive back home, reassembled everything and it still suffers from the reboot loop. Then I checked the power supplies again and they seem okay, but I also checked the 3.3V supply (orange) and it seems a bit low at 3.05 - 3.1V. So for now I disassembled the power supply and will take it to the office tomorrow where I can replace the offending capacitors (I have all of them [I think] because I bought a full set last year from DigiKey).

Have any of y'all seen a low 3.3V supply cause the endless reboot cycle? At this point, I don't think it's the drive because, one, it's only a year old (WD Caviar Green), and two, I just disabled the park mode. And if anyone has any further ideas, please reply.

If I can't fix my series 3, I have to choose a different TiVo and will need advice about that too. Is everyone going Bolt nowadays? Any way to get TiVo to transfer over lifetime service rather than springing another 600 bucks for it? (because if it's 600 bucks, it ain't gonna happen)

Thanks in advance!!!
See my answer in the other thread and if you think you can't fix this TiVo feel free to give it to me.

As to transferring lifetime from it to another unit, the chances are probably as close to non-existent as makes no difference.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:32 PM   #496
HerronScott

Quote:

Thanks in advance!!!
Look at the Roamio Pro loyalty deal which you should qualify for. $600 for a Roamio Pro which includes lifetime service ($500 + $100 lifetime).

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #497
markr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Look at the Roamio Pro loyalty deal which you should qualify for. $600 for a Roamio Pro which includes lifetime service ($500 + $100 lifetime).

Scott
Is that loyalty deal still in effect? Phone only or also online? (I searched and couldn't find it online)

markr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #498
HerronScott

Quote:
Is that loyalty deal still in effect? Phone only or also online? (I searched and couldn't find it online)
Phone only and someone not long ago reported they were able to get one through it.

Scott

S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #499
chuck_theobald

Great thread, thanks for keeping it bumped.

I am in the process of replacing four caps, C401, C402, C601 and C701. Had a heck of a time getting some of the solder joints to melt, even at up to 780 Farenheit. In the end, I will have to drill out two of the more stubborn leads. I figure there must be some pretty effective heat sink attached to those leads.

Not that experienced with this, wish me luck...

chuck_theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:02 PM   #500
dwatt

I think it was mentioned up thread but if you melt some new solder onto the tip of the iron it helps to get the original solder to melt. I had to work it that way when I replaced the caps in mine and this was the first time for me.

dwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #501
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

dwatt hit it on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_theobald View Post
Great thread, thanks for keeping it bumped.

I am in the process of replacing four caps, C401, C402, C601 and C701. Had a heck of a time getting some of the solder joints to melt, even at up to 780 Farenheit. In the end, I will have to drill out two of the more stubborn leads. I figure there must be some pretty effective heat sink attached to those leads.

Not that experienced with this, wish me luck...

First thing I would do is drop your heat. I use 300c are 570F heat up the old junk solder hit it with some good new solder it will come out will very little effort with a good solder sucker. It will not hurt to drill out if all else fells it's not a multi layer board. Hope you get it done soon.
Tim in the swamp...

Old 01-20-2016, 02:27 AM   #502
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:

OR

Why not just replace all the caps at one time? That's probably the root cause of all your issues.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #503
bwolfy

HeronScott this is great! Thank you so much for putting this together

Quote:
I did finally get the parts and repaired my original S3 OLED power supply which had bulging capacitors for the C401/C402 (2200uF 6.3V). Thought I would post the parts list here for anyone else looking to do this.

TiVo S3 OLED capacitor list:
3Y power supply: CP-1104 R2
TiVo PN: SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3

I went ahead and replaced 11 of the 15 capacitors to hopefully preemptively catch any of the other primary ones that might fail. The ones that I replaced fall into 3 main groups on the power supply board so that's how I've listed them starting with the ones that were bulging on mine.

C401 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)
C402 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)

C601 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 Digikey P14402-ND $1.01
C701 2200uF 25V Panasonic EEU-FR1E222L Digikey P14428-ND $1.43
C501 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C502 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C504 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01

C503 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C603 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C702 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C403 1000uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FM0J102 Digikey P12340-ND $0.51

All are rated at 10000hrs@105C except for the last 3 which are 6000hrs@105C and 4000hrs@105C. Cost was $9.59 in parts plus $0.48 tax and $4.91 S&H for a total of $14.98.

I actually ordered enough caps to repair my 2nd S3 OLED as well since it has a few bulging 3300uF caps so the S&H was for both sets although the way it was boxed and shipped, I'm not sure it would have been any cheaper for just 1 set of caps.

I hope this helps someone else who might have an S3 OLED with a bad caps!

Scott

bwolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:10 AM   #504
fusiondynamics

Sorry to bump this but my Tivo HD decided to take a dump. There are two bulged capacitors in the power supply. Is there a list of all parts needed to replace to refurb the power supply in the HD?

fusiondynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #505
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

Hope this helps

Mouser #: 667-EEU-FR1C471
Mfr. #: EEU-FR1C471
Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded16VDC 470uF 8x11mm LS3.5mm
C702 Qty # 1
____________________________________________________________ __
Mouser #: 667-EEU-FR1A102L
Mfr. #: EEU-FR1A102L
Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded10VDC 1000uF 8x15mm LS3.5mm
C403 C503 2 Qty # 2
Mouser #: 667-EEU-FR1C102L
Mfr. #: EEU-FR1C102L
Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded16VDC 1000uF 8x20mm LS3.5mm
C701 1 Qty # 1
Mouser #: 667-EEU-FR1A222L
Mfr. #: EEU-FR1A222L
Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded10VDC 2200uF 10x25mm LS5mm
C501C502C504C402C407 5Qty # 5

www.mouser.com

Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #506
neurocutie

Quote:
My Series 3 is stuck in the reboot cycle. The history of my unit is that almost exactly one year ago, I replaced a bulging capacitor (C701) on the power supply and upgraded the drive to a 2TB (WD Caviar Green), performed the WDIDLE3 /D on it and everything worked fine for a year. I just opened it up and noticed another bulging capacitor (C601) and perhaps also C401 and the capacitor next to it. I checked the 12V supply (yellow) and it is 12.5 [good], and the 5V supply (red) and it is 5.15 [good].
sorry to comment on this so late, but maybe this will help someone...

if you are checking voltages by a DC voltmeter, that may not be adequate to detect a problem. The primary purpose of capacitors here is to filter out ripple in the conversion from AC to DC. A simple DC voltmeter cannot tell you often whether you are seeing 12V DC, mostly ripple-free vs 12V DC with too much ripple left (an analog meter may be a little better than a digital meter, but since these supplies are not linear (120Hz ripple), but switchers, the ripple frequency may be very high).

One tack is to also look at what the VOM says on the AC volt setting. Depending on the design of the meter, it *should* tell you if there is some appreciable AC ripple left on the DC output. The best of course is to use an oscilloscope to look at the amount of ripple.

Also wrt MOVs, they definitely wear out with time and "hits". If there is any suspicion about getting spikes, they should be replaced. It isn't easy to determine whether a MOV is now useless.

neurocutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #507
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

neurocutie is right

The only way to tell if a cap is bad is by a cap tester "out of circuit" or with a oscilloscope. To replace the caps is a small cost but ALWAYS know were the power cord at. It's a good thing to take it out of the room. HOp0e you fix your TiVo.....

Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #508
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiondynamics View Post
Sorry to bump this but my Tivo HD decided to take a dump. There are two bulged capacitors in the power supply. Is there a list of all parts needed to replace to refurb the power supply in the HD?
If you have a TCD652160 or TCD658000, instead of a TCD648250B, there are two possibilities for which power supply you have--the 3Y one or the AcBel one.

They're interchangeable if you're replacing the entire power supply, but those two companies took slightly differing design approaches to meeting the TiVo specs for a power supply for those two models (the HD and the HD XL), so the replacement capacitor parts list is different for the two different brands of power supplies.

Both lists are in this thread several pages back.

If your power supply is failing there's probably nothing wrong with it except failing capacitors, some of which may not be showing visible signs.

So find the parts list for whichever power supply you have and replacing all those intermediate sized capacitors should do it without having to replace any semiconductors or other parts.

Be sure to go back and read where we talk about why you need high temp-low ESR capacitors, and how to install them with the polarity properly observed, and all the solder melting tricks, and how many Watts are needed, and all that other "benefit of our combined experience" stuff.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #509
sterlinggold

Quote:
I did finally get the parts and repaired my original S3 OLED power supply which had bulging capacitors for the C401/C402 (2200uF 6.3V). Thought I would post the parts list here for anyone else looking to do this.

TiVo S3 OLED capacitor list:
3Y power supply: CP-1104 R2
TiVo PN: SPWR-00008-000 Rev A3

I went ahead and replaced 11 of the 15 capacitors to hopefully preemptively catch any of the other primary ones that might fail. The ones that I replaced fall into 3 main groups on the power supply board so that's how I've listed them starting with the ones that were bulging on mine.

C401 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)
C402 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FR0J222 Digikey P14365-ND $0.81 (Alternate: P15308CT-ND?)

C601 2200uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C222 Digikey P14402-ND $1.01
C701 2200uF 25V Panasonic EEU-FR1E222L Digikey P14428-ND $1.43
C501 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C502 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C504 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01

C503 3300uF 10V Panasonic EEU-FR1A332 Digikey P14383-ND $1.01
C603 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C702 470uF 16V Panasonic EEU-FR1C471 Digikey P14394-ND $0.49 (Alternate: P15342CT-ND?)
C403 1000uF 6.3V Panasonic EEU-FM0J102 Digikey P12340-ND $0.51

All are rated at 10000hrs@105C except for the last 3 which are 6000hrs@105C and 4000hrs@105C. Cost was $9.59 in parts plus $0.48 tax and $4.91 S&H for a total of $14.98.

I actually ordered enough caps to repair my 2nd S3 OLED as well since it has a few bulging 3300uF caps so the S&H was for both sets although the way it was boxed and shipped, I'm not sure it would have been any cheaper for just 1 set of caps.

I hope this helps someone else who might have an S3 OLED with a bad caps!

Scott

Thanks, for saving my parents Tivo3!

sterlinggold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #510
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggold View Post
Thanks, for saving my parents Tivo3!
I'm glad it helped!

Scott