TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
phydeauxman

Should I buy a XL4?

If I have multiple Premiers, and they are all networked with wired Ethernet, can I stream from each one to the others? I currently have 2 Premiers (bought 1 off of eBay and the other off of Craigslist) but only 1 is currently activated. My intention is to eventually have a total of 5 TiVo's which if they were all Premier's would in effect give me a total of 10 tuners to record things on. I had originally thought about buying 1 XL4 to get a box that has 4 tuners but if I am able to record against all 10 tuners and watch any of the content on any of the other TiVos...not sure it would be cost effective to buy an XL4. I am currently upgrading the 1 activated Premier I have with a new 3TB hard drive and would do the same for the other TiVos so space would not be an issue.
phydeauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

It's much easier to have your shows in one location than spread out among multiple boxes. I had eight, two tuner, Premieres at one point and gradually sold them. I was down to five, two tuner, Premieres when the Elite came out. So I first sold two Premieres to cover the entire cost of a launch Elite with Lifetime service. And sold two more Premieres six months later to cover the entire cost of a second lifetime Elite. So my out of pocket cost was zero. Now I'm down to two ELites/XL4s and one two tuner Premiere. And I have the same number of tuners as when I had five, two tuner, Premieres.

Now if they would just come out with a six tuner box along with the Mini, and I could dump two cable cards and sell my two Elites to cover the cost of a six tuner box and a mini.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
phydeauxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's much easier to have your shows in one location than spread out among multiple boxes. I had eight, two tuner, Premieres at one point and gradually sold them. I was down to five, two tuner, Premieres when the Elite came out. So I first sold two Premieres to cover the entire cost of a launch Elite with Lifetime service. And sold two more Premieres six months later to cover the entire cost of a second lifetime Elite. So my out of pocket cost was zero. Now I'm down to two ELites/XL4s and one two tuner Premiere. And I have the same number of tuners as when I had five, two tuner, Premieres.

Now if they would just come out with a six tuner box along with the Mini, and I could dump two cable cards and sell my two Elites to cover the cost of a six tuner box and a mini.
Your scenario makes sense but I want to be able to watch recorded content on 5 different TV's in 5 different rooms. If TiVo had a standards based streaming ability, like Netgear ReadyDNLA, where I could use other devices to view the content on a TV...I would not need 5 TiVos...and then it would make sense to get an XL4. One of the TVs has an WD TV Live Plus media extender that is able to consume content from my Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6 via the DLNA protocol. If I could use that device to also get recorded shows from my TiVo...I would not need to replace it with another TiVo.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeauxman View Post
Your scenario makes sense but I want to be able to watch recorded content on 5 different TV's in 5 different rooms. If TiVo had a standards based streaming ability, like Netgear ReadyDNLA, where I could use other devices to view the content on a TV...I would not need 5 TiVos...and then it would make sense to get an XL4.

The not-yet released Tivo Mini will "replace" Tivos in seldom used rooms. I believe up to 3 Minis can connect to a 4 tuner Tivo. The Mini pricing hasn't been determined and, of course, no one knows what the unit will cost.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #5
scole250

I didn't think 3TB drives worked in the Premieres (or other Tivos). I thought 2TB was the limit.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I didn't think 3TB drives worked in the Premieres (or other Tivos). I thought 2TB was the limit.
S4's don't work with internal drives >2.2TB ..... in fact they won't even boot up.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD

Last edited by retiredqwest : 01-28-2013 at 11:07 AM.
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
phydeauxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
S4's don't work with >2.2TB drives..... in fact they won't even boot up.
Well, I guess I will be returning the 3TB drive and getting a 2TB.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
phydeauxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
The not-yet released Tivo Mini will "replace" Tivos in seldom used rooms. I believe up to 3 Minis can connect to a 4 tuner Tivo. The Mini pricing hasn't been determined and, of course, no one knows what the unit will cost.
Any ballpark on when it might come out? This year?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
One of the TVs has an WD TV Live Plus media extender that is able to consume content from my Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6 via the DLNA protocol. If I could use that device to also get recorded shows from my TiVo...I would not need to replace it with another TiVo.
We all agree that DLNA makes tons of sense for the consumer, but Tivo begs to differ. Perhaps this is because they don't think they'd sell enough extra units to cover the cost of developing and supporting DLNA or perhaps their cable partners don't want them doing it. Go figure.

If you want DLNA for live/recorded TV now, check out rolling your own WMC PC. SiliconDust has just rolled out a DLNA/DTCP-IP server in their Cablecard tuner box for live TV and there's apps like Plex that can do it for recorded TV. This will be way cheaper than multiple Tivos if you use extenders too.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
phydeauxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
We all agree that DLNA makes tons of sense for the consumer, but Tivo begs to differ. Perhaps this is because they don't think they'd sell enough extra units to cover the cost of developing and supporting DLNA or perhaps their cable partners don't want them doing it. Go figure.

If you want DLNA for live/recorded TV now, check out rolling your own WMC PC. SiliconDust has just rolled out a DLNA/DTCP-IP server in their Cablecard tuner box for live TV and there's apps like Plex that can do it for recorded TV.
I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 6 that is able to stream content via DLNA to the TiVo...I just need to figure out how to convert it to a format that can be consumed by both the TiVo AND Windows devices. I already have a WMC but am looking to get rid of it if I can figure out the format thing mentioned above.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
innocentfreak

Quote:
Any ballpark on when it might come out? This year?
Supposedly sometime this year possibly the Spring, but nothing official or set it stone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
peter888chan

Quote:
If I have multiple Premiers, and they are all networked with wired Ethernet, can I stream from each one to the others? I currently have 2 Premiers (bought 1 off of eBay and the other off of Craigslist) but only 1 is currently activated. My intention is to eventually have a total of 5 TiVo's which if they were all Premier's would in effect give me a total of 10 tuners to record things on. I had originally thought about buying 1 XL4 to get a box that has 4 tuners but if I am able to record against all 10 tuners and watch any of the content on any of the other TiVos...not sure it would be cost effective to buy an XL4. I am currently upgrading the 1 activated Premier I have with a new 3TB hard drive and would do the same for the other TiVos so space would not be an issue.
there's one thing that would make getting the XL4 better - if you're recording cable. You then save on cablecard costs by using two or three XL4's versus 5 two tuner premieres.
peter888chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #13
phydeauxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter888chan View Post
there's one thing that would make getting the XL4 better - if you're recording cable. You then save on cablecard costs by using two or three XL4's versus 5 two tuner premieres.
Agreed...but I still need something in the other rooms to view that content with...like the Mini .
Old 01-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
peter888chan

Quote:
Agreed...but I still need something in the other rooms to view that content with...like the Mini .
yup, and that's why I just jumped on the deal for the XL4 and lifetime. I'm going to replace my two tuner premiere in the bedroom with the XL4 in anticipation of the mini stealing one of the tuners in the future. I have a Tivo Elite in the living room that uses all 4 tuners periodically.

This way, I'm still just using two cablecards.
peter888chan is offline   Reply With Quote