Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #211
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I doubt TiVo phone support knows anything about the TiVo logs, assuming they are even turned on, which I don't believe they are by default (at least not "debugging" logs). Logs would only be useful to an engineer/programmer. Also I would a assume, like every other OS, a reboot would stand out like a sore thumb in any logs as all the system services would initialize.

In any case, the reboots happen so infrequently (once a month) that calling TiVo about them wouldn't likely bear any fruit. I'm pretty sure they are related to using YouTube though as I had used YouTube the day before for the first time in a long time. I think the last reboot also happened the day after using YouTube, but I'm not positive about that.

One issue that occurs fairly regularly is a random temporary loss of sound and picture blocking up when watching "live" TV. The problem goes away on an instant replay and I have yet to see it when watching a previous recording. I don't watch live that often, but I've seen that a number of times since the update.
Rather than assuming things, and dismissing what you'd be advised to do if you contacted TiVoMargret, or talked to a higher-tier CSR about your problems, you might actually verify what the deal is. I have.

Those remote sequences do exactly what I said they do. I've verified they are always active, with 911-clear bookmarking the TiVo logs, and the 777-clear adds more debugging data. You sound like you think the logs aren't even active for release software versions. That's not the case. You can verify it yourself by viewing the logs with TiVoBackDoor, Clear-Clear-Enter-Enter-0 from the System Information screen. If you bother to look there, you'll see the logs are archived at intervals, then sent to TiVo each time the scheduled (or manual) TiVo Service connection is made.

I get the impression you'd rather stick an icepick in your eye, than make the effort, and make the calls. That's fine, if you just want to complain, and not help be part of the solution. If you publicly poo-poo the sequences as likely not doing anything, and likely of no use, then you become part of the problem, by discouraging others.

One e-mail to TiVoMargret margret@tivo.com , and you can have any TSNs you want placed on automatic log monitoring, so the sequence entries won't go unnoticed.

Even the lowest-level CSRs can get access to enough log information to spot if you have changed your hard drive. They can tell you what happened that appears to have caused a reboot. They can tell you if your TiVo rebooted due to a loss of power. They can tell you there are problems logged with SDV, or that the TA is throwing errors. They can even get some idea of things pointing to a hard drive issue.

For those who want to just mark their logs, and view events around the marks, the sequences are active.

For those who want TiVo to "do something", you need to be on log monitoring and will need to interact with TiVo via at least one support channel (I hate this part, too, FWIW).

The only thing I agree with 100%, is that it shouldn't take any sequence to spot a reboot. But, that's the way TiVo wants it done. If you don't do as they ask, you can't (realistically) expect them to help.

TiVo's support center does forward the results of the sequences and log monitoring to TiVo the real company, if they have enough people showing the same issues in their logs. This requires participation and interaction, rather than (paraphrasing) "Meh, I don't feel like making the effort, and don't want to call TiVo, I'll just post my issues on TCF and hope they get fixed, with no effort on my part". As much as I feel that way about it, myself, it's the only way the users can help.

People who wish to do this should take notes on what date and time they used the sequences, and the reason why. Without your own notes, you can't expect TiVo to know why you added debugging, or marked the logs.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #212
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
One e-mail to TiVoMargret margret@tivo.com , and you can have any TSNs you want placed on automatic log monitoring, so the sequence entries won't go unnoticed.
three weeks into the update, after several spontaneous reboots of my previously rock solid tivo, and multiple resets of the hdui, one email to margret and it all stopped - back to solid performance. i don't know if there's any connection, but it might be worth a try to follow the advice above.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #213
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
three weeks into the update, after several spontaneous reboots of my previously rock solid tivo, and multiple resets of the hdui, one email to margret and it all stopped - back to solid performance. i don't know if there's any connection, but it might be worth a try to follow the advice above.
She probably (educated speculation) checked to make sure there were no issues on their server-side and the account, along with looking at the logs available, or having somebody else look at them.

I've seen many similar posts like "one email to TiVoMargret, and my problems stopped". She goes above and beyond. She put my TSNs on log monitoring, I used the sequences, and my reboots went away as well, within 48 hours.

I've also seen times where it was clear TiVoMargret was too busy to deal with her extracurricular role providing support, and reports posted of getting no help from her. Many forget she volunteers her help, and it's not part of her job description. She deserves to be cut some slack, IMO, when this happens.

I've also seen posts where TiVo's outsourced CSRs were able to remotely fix things, like recordings that could not be deleted, even using KMTTG. It seems that TiVo has remote access, like Windows remote assistance provides for computers. These people would likely would still have their problems, if they hadn't made the effort to contact TiVo.

Thank you for taking the time to post your POV, and real-life experience.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #214
ejonesss

Margret if you are the one who is in charge of fixing the software please fix the bug that is causing the wrong content to record.

i record airplane repo and get bering sea gold or other equiv to deadliest catch.

maybe time to go back to adobe air for the interface or use a combination of adobe air and haxe.

haxe to read the buttons from the remote and for the graphics and adobe air for the behind the scenes and recording

also i dont think the box is connecting correctly to the network since i get an exclamation point "!" warning when i hit the tivo button.

could it be that both boxes are connecting at the same time and there is no way for the server to tell the difference between each box so the server thinks there is duplicate requests?
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #215
ejonesss

tivo site not responding try 2

Margret if you are the one who is in charge of fixing the software please fix the bug that is causing the wrong content to record.

i record airplane repo and get bering sea gold or other equiv to deadliest catch.

maybe time to go back to adobe air for the interface or use a combination of adobe air and haxe.

haxe to read the buttons from the remote and for the graphics and adobe air for the behind the scenes and recording

also i dont think the box is connecting correctly to the network since i get an exclamation point "!" warning when i hit the tivo button.

could it be that both boxes are connecting at the same time and there is no way for the server to tell the difference between each box so the server thinks there is duplicate requests?
ejonesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:54 PM   #216
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

@ejonesss: Who said to "post blindly at TiVoMargret here"? This site is not owned by, operated by, nor officially affiliated with TiVo, the company.

It is always "email TiVoMargret", and her email info is already posted a few posts prior to this. Given your impatience and repeated posting expecting instant gratification, I should probably send her an apology in advance.

As also already stated, direct customer interaction and support duties are not part of her job title. She does it when she has time, sometimes on her own time, and doesn't get paid any more if she does. Please don't ruin a good thing for the rest of us. Other true TiVo employees used to interact here, and the impatient, thankless, and often mean-spirited, chased them out.

Her twitter feed is "TiVoDesign". If you post there, and she wants you to email her, she'll request that you do. If she doesn't say "please email me your TSN", she's likely too busy with her regular duties (might not even be available), and you should use the regular support channels. If you feel you are being ignored, move to the next support channel, and possibly reconsider your approach and tone you use. If you say (to regular support) "I want to open a support ticket for ......" , you should be assigned one. Support is NOT 24/7/365. You do realize this was a weekend, and today is a holiday, right?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:03 AM   #217
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejonesss View Post

May be you've looked into this, but it looks like Airplane Repo and Bering Sea Gold are only an hour off on the schedule. It might very well be that your local cable company changed their schedule and the schedule provider (Tribune, I think) has not yet caught up with the change.

Is everything on Discovery similarly an hour off schedule?
If so, TiVo has a web form at http://www.tivo.com/lineup.html

Just a thought.
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #218
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
One issue that occurs fairly regularly is a random temporary loss of sound and picture blocking up when watching "live" TV. The problem goes away on an instant replay and I have yet to see it when watching a previous recording. I don't watch live that often, but I've seen that a number of times since the update.
Seeing/hearing this on my end too.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote