TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #61
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intravino View Post
After two weeks of no problems with my TiVo HD, my audio problem is back and it's back with a vendange, I have now three channels with no sound.

I swithed the coax and I installed it on my TV's tuner and everything was 100 %. So the problem is not with my preamplifier, coax or antenna.

After replacing the hard drive with a new one and new image, the same problem.

I was able to measure the PS voltages when the problem was present and I got:

12.4 Volts
5.01 Volts
3.3 Volts

So unfortunately, it's not the power supply.

The only thing left is the motherboard.

So I guess, I need to purchase a new roamio with a lifetime sub.

I called CS two weeks ago and I was told I cannot transfer my lifetime to a new machine and I was offered a Premier with lifetime for $ 350 with exchange of the HD. I hate the Premier so I guess the Roamio is the only option.

If the TiVo is to blame, how does it know on which of the channels to have audio problems?

If you still have audio on some of the channels, then it is still capable of doing audio.

Double check all your audio settings, like stereo/mono, SAP, Dolby or otherwise.

And go into DVR diagnostics or whatever it is and check the tuner signal strength for the problem channels versus the good ones.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #62
Intravino
I love OTA

I'm sure it's not OTA. I pulled the COAX during the problem and installed it directly on the TV's tuner and everything was good. So I can rule out antenna, coax and preamp. I also noticed that the TV's tuner is much more sensitive, I was receiving 3 more channels then the TiVo's tuners.

I had to restart the TiVo to get my audio back. It lost audio on about 5 channels starting at 7:00 pm until the restart. I happens when I record two channels at the same time. No every time but shows up when the two tuners are recording.

Before doing the reset, I again measured the voltages, all in specs.

Quote:
Double check all your audio settings, like stereo/mono, SAP, Dolby or otherwise.
Did that and nothing is wrong.

Quote:
And go into DVR diagnostics or whatever it is and check the tuner signal strength for the problem channels versus the good ones.
The strongest ones were the ones without audio, it's random. I had the same problem in march when I replaced the capacitors on the PS, but that time I only had one channel without audio.

Quote:
If the TiVo is to blame, how does it know on which of the channels to have audio problems?
Unfortunately, digital electronic problems are like that, random weird problems. One tuner was OK and the other was sporadic. Analog electronics can be more predictable (sometimes).

Quote:
I'm sorry that you had to spend so much time, plus the money, just to wind up here
No problem, I learned some things and I can use the hard drive in a enclosure or in my old computer.

Does a defective TiVO HD (with lifetime) have a chance of getting some bucks on Ebay?

Thanks for help, I learned some things specially about imaging the TiVo drive. Thanks unitron and nooneuknow.

Last edited by Intravino : 08-21-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Intravino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #63
squint

It's a long shot but you could try removing the cover and pointing a small desktop fan at the motherboard. I came across a Series 3 OLED that had periodic audio "pops" once the motherboard warmed up. Cooling it back down with a fan made them go away.

Since the tuners themselves run hot, I would try an additional experiment where the fan is focused on them.

It can take up to an hour for a fan to cool things down.

I have seen people buy lifetime TiVo HDs with motherboard issues on eBay such as the Flashing Green Light of Doom that are likely to be difficult repairs.

If you do sell it on eBay, my usual advice is to use UPS or FedEx ground shipping. Most use the eBay default of USPS which costs twice as much ($46) to ship outside your region. Prices took a dive in the spring and have been slowly rising. Once fall TV season is underway I think prices will peak so you might want to wait a few months.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #64
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Does a defective TiVO HD (with lifetime) have a chance of getting some bucks on Ebay?

Thanks for help, I learned some things specially about imaging the TiVo drive. Thanks unitron and nooneuknow.
Yes, any lifetime TiVo has value on ebay, even ones sold as being "completely dead". If it has no issues with cable TV, and you list it honestly, I'm sure you will find a buyer. There's a Buyer/Seller area on TCF:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517648

That's my unsolicited feedback thread, inside the area. I opted to sell through TCF, rather than deal with ebay, fees, fees, and more fees. I got about $100 less per TiVo I sold, than what comparable ones were selling for on ebay (go by what they sell for, not by what they list at, when deciding your price).

As far as the thanks, you are welcome. You can simply pay-it-forward, by using what you learned to help somebody else out.

Unitron's not quite done with you yet. I'm also wondering if there's truly anything "wrong with" your TiVo, or if it's just some sort of regional issue (you never know what's going on in the invisible airwaves). The direct-to-TV test is almost never a strong case against the TiVo, unless it's a more drastic issue you use that test for (like a problem that affects all channels, equally differently, between TiVo & TV).
Old 08-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #65
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
It's a long shot but you could try removing the cover and pointing a small desktop fan at the motherboard. I came across a Series 3 OLED that had periodic audio "pops" once the motherboard warmed up. Cooling it back down with a fan made them go away.

Since the tuners themselves run hot, I would try an additional experiment where the fan is focused on them.

It can take up to an hour for a fan to cool things down.

I have seen people buy lifetime TiVo HDs with motherboard issues on eBay such as the Flashing Green Light of Doom that are likely to be difficult repairs.

If you do sell it on eBay, my usual advice is to use UPS or FedEx ground shipping. Most use the eBay default of USPS which costs twice as much ($46) to ship outside your region. Prices took a dive in the spring and have been slowly rising. Once fall TV season is underway I think prices will peak so you might want to wait a few months.
Now that you brought that up (while I was working on my reply), I used to keep a PC fan, flat on the top of the tuner shields for my TiVo HDs. It did help with some glitching issues.

FedEx Ground rocks! But, you get charged more if you don't set up a free online FedEx account (tied to a credit/debit card), charged more if you don't use the online label printing tool, and charged $7 more (no matter what) if shipping to a residential address. Considering it's nearly impossible to ship anything FedEx that goes inside a box for less than $6, that added $7 can almost make you wish you stood in line at the post office, (like when you are shipping a small $30 item, and said "shipping included").
Old 08-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #66
squint

I went from cooling the entire motherboard with a desktop fan to cooling just the CPU with a small PC fan. I loosely placed cardboard around it to prevent cooling of other parts of the motherboard. IIRC, that lowered the reported motherboard temperature from 49C (still normal) to 37C and also prevented the audio glitches.

My plan for that Tivo is to reball the CPU as I suspect there's a bad solder joint. If that fails I can try transplanting the crypto chip to another 648250B but I'm more interested in fixing the problem than preserving lifetime service.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #67
wtkflhn

I'm going to throw something out here, that no one else has touched on. Since we're dealing with OTA instead of cable. There's a possibility that your dealing with a multipath situation. In the analog days, you would be having ghosting issues. That doesn't happen in this new digital world we're living in today. But it could possibly causing the audio problems you're having. Try rotating the antennae and see if you can get a better signal on the offending stations.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 PM   #68
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
I'm going to throw something out here, that no one else has touched on. Since we're dealing with OTA instead of cable. There's a possibility that your dealing with a multipath situation. In the analog days, you would be having ghosting issues. That doesn't happen in this new digital world we're living in today. But it could possibly causing the audio problems you're having. Try rotating the antennae and see if you can get a better signal on the offending stations.

Don H.
I was thinking that too, but I'm not an OTA guru (or user), so I didn't want to bring up multipath. I only learned it's OTA context recently, when I finally asked about it.

I did address that OTA gurus might be able to help, in this post:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10211882

It's my understanding that all TiVos are more sensitive to multipath issues, than most other devices, and any TiVo will tend to have more problems dealing with it, which was why I advised buying a new TiVo from a local store, and testing it out, before going all-in on a new TiVo, new LT service.

I could benefit, as well as the OP, if somebody could detail multipath, and make it a TiVo-specific write-up.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 PM   #69
Intravino
I love OTA

It's not multipath.

Thursday when the show I was recording at no sound (real time live), I left the TiVo record the complete show for fun. Guess what ? I watched the same recorded show later yesterday night (for the first time) and I had no problem with the sound ??????????????

The show recorded perfectly but displayed no sound when it was live.
Intravino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #70
wtkflhn

Quote:
It's not multipath.

Thursday when the show I was recording at no sound (real time live), I left the TiVo record the complete show for fun. Guess what ? I watched the same recorded show later yesterday night (for the first time) and I had no problem with the sound ??????????????

The show recorded perfectly but displayed no sound when it was live.
Oh boy, That is weird. Sorry, don't know what to suggest.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote