mattack

Lifetime *transfer* was available then.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #32
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Lifetime *transfer* was available then.
At some point you could xfer Lifetime to another box and keep your current box for a year don't remember the details, but for new customers they could not purchase Lifetime Service from TiVo. There was a trick that one could do to get lifetime for the original $299 from TiVo, all you wanted for any TiVo you wanted, the trick came from this form and a post from TiVo about the new no lifetime service anymore. This trick does not work anymore.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #33
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrumpneuma View Post
I changed the data. The point still stands. A TiVo lifetime subscription is a better value now than it was in 1999.
No. it isn't - actually. In 1999, Tivo's were SD. Those units still record from cable companies with the same quality they did then.

I have just found out that my TivoHD, purchased with Lifetime just three years ago, is now a boat-anchor, since cable companies are changing their HD transmission technology so as to render the TivoHD incapable of receiving and recording HD channels. Tivo, from what I understand, plans to do absolutely nothing to correct this.

So, as far as I can see - the 1999 value was far greater.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Many of those cable companies don't have analog channels or only a handful now. So that 1999 box doesn't have much use. The TiVoHD would still be able to access more channels. Not many channels are in MPEG4 from the cable companies.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #35
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I have just found out that my TivoHD, purchased with Lifetime just three years ago, is now a boat-anchor
Send me your lifetime Tivo HD. I'll make use of it.. even though I already have 6 tuners, another lifetime Tivo HD would be useful for something...
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #36
atmuscarella

Quote:
No. it isn't - actually. In 1999, Tivo's were SD. Those units still record from cable companies with the same quality they did then.

I have just found out that my TivoHD, purchased with Lifetime just three years ago, is now a boat-anchor, since cable companies are changing their HD transmission technology so as to render the TivoHD incapable of receiving and recording HD channels. Tivo, from what I understand, plans to do absolutely nothing to correct this.

So, as far as I can see - the 1999 value was far greater.
Sounds a little melodramatic to me.
  1. As of today your TiVoHD is not a boat-anchor
  2. You have no idea if, when, or how many channels your cable company is going to convert to MPEG4
  3. You have no idea if TiVo will respond with a software update or not.
My guess is TiVo will do nothing if only a few channels on a few cable system are converted to MPEG4 however if many companies changed most of their channels it might be different.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-29-2012 at 08:59 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Many of those cable companies don't have analog channels or only a handful now. So that 1999 box doesn't have much use.
Actually they can use a cable box as a source so they can record just as well now as they ever did. The only ones that are truly crippled are the S2DT units since they effectively become single tuner units when cable goes all digital.

I think one of the biggest reasons TiVo increased the price on lifetime is because TiVo boxes got more tuners and people needed less boxes to accomplish the same goal. These days you can buy a 4 tuner box for $250 + $500 for lifetime and record the same number of channels that 4 single tuner units with $199 lifetime could record. TiVo was effectively losing revenue to innovation and they had to adjust their pricing to compensate.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #38
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

I think one of the biggest reasons TiVo increased the price on lifetime is because TiVo boxes got more tuners and people needed less boxes to accomplish the same goal. These days you can buy a 4 tuner box for $250 + $500 for lifetime and record the same number of channels that 4 single tuner units with $199 lifetime could record. TiVo was effectively losing revenue to innovation and they had to adjust their pricing to compensate.

Dan
I have often thought that part of the reason TiVo was loosing subs was the conversion from single to dual tuner units and now dual tuner to quad. But honestly a TiVo's price with lifetime has been fairly consistent for awhile.

When lifetime came back in 2008 I paid $500 for a TiVo HD with lifetime, since the Premiere was released existing users have contently been offered the Premiere in the $470-$500 range with lifetime either through upgrade offers or vis MSD. All that has changed has been how much of the $500 was for hardware and how much was for service.

Just for reference back in 2005/2006 if you waited for the right rebate single tuner TiVos with lifetime could be had for $300 (which is what I paid) if you double that you get $600 which is more than I paid for any one of my 3 dual tuner TiVos with lifetime.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #39
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Many of those cable companies don't have analog channels or only a handful now. So that 1999 box doesn't have much use. The TiVoHD would still be able to access more channels. Not many channels are in MPEG4 from the cable companies.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
I just lost 25 channels to mpeg4. that seems like quite a few to me.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #40
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Sounds a little melodramatic to me.
  1. As of today your TiVoHD is not a boat-anchor
  2. You have no idea if, when, or how many channels your cable company is going to convert to MPEG4
  3. You have no idea if TiVo will respond with a software update or not.
My guess is TiVo will do nothing if only a few channels on a few cable system are converted to MPEG4 however if many companies changed most of their channels it might be different.
I read here that Cox plans to convert all channels from 1100 up to h.264 by the end of 2013. They just yanked 25 HD channels this month
Old 11-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #41
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Send me your lifetime Tivo HD. I'll make use of it.. even though I already have 6 tuners, another lifetime Tivo HD would be useful for something...
it's for sale
Old 11-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #42
atmuscarella

Quote:
I read here that Cox plans to convert all channels from 1100 up to h.264 by the end of 2013. They just yanked 25 HD channels this month
Ya that does change things I didn't know any cable company was moving that fast and that many stations to MPEG4. TiVo has offered the original Premiere with lifetime for $400 recently as a upgrade offer they should do something like that for anyone on Cox cable if they don't intend on doing a software update soon.

A TiVo HD with lifetime makes a great OTA DVR given what is happening to some of the other OTA DVRs guide data availability, when you market your unit I would look for OTA users. I see many owners of other OTA DVRs on the AVS forums are now picking up TiVos new and used so there might be a slight bump in demand right now.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #43
HockeyFan

Everything goes up. 1979 school lunch Tacos were 3 cents and Good humor ice cream was 15 cents. There was an out roar years later when tacos and good humor both went to 50 cents.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #44
mattack

Quote:
it's for sale
But wait, if it's a boat anchor, it's useless (except for holding a boat steady).. so you should be giving it away for shipping.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #45
Dan203
Super Moderator

People still buy boat anchors. They don't just give them away at the boat store.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #46
flashedbios

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The OP is asking about 1999. What you paid the next year and the rest of your life story isn't relevant to the question.
theres no need to be a jerk. what are you? a dalek?
flashedbios is offline   Reply With Quote