TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

Recording Size

One of the shows my wife collects on our new Tivo Premiere is I Love Lucy. Setting up the recordings from a Wish List the Tivo grabs episodes from a couple different channels. They are all 1/2 hours shows. Most of them record at 990 megs. However some record at an average of 3000 megs. Why the difference? It was my belief that Comcast was broadcasting in only digital (since we need cable boxes for each TV). Are their broadcasts still in analog (the 990 ones) and others in digital (the 3000+ mb ones)? Is there a way to lower the quality (and file size)?
tmozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Digital can be SD or HD. You cannot change that in the Tivo, the "quality" setting is only for analog.

Some Comcast markets still provide analog stations, but that is shrinking.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
They are all 1/2 hours shows. Most of them record at 990 megs. However some record at an average of 3000 megs. Why the difference?
As jrtroo alluded to, you are probably getting shows from both a digital SD channel and a digital HD channel.
It doesn't matter that the show itself is in SD. If it is being broadcast on an HD channel you will see a larger file size.

Check to see what channel is resulting in the larger file size. I think you will find that it is an HD channel.

One solution if space is an issue, is to remove that channel from your channel list so that the wishlist won't record from that channel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
As jrtroo alluded to, you are probably getting shows from both a digital SD channel and a digital HD channel.
It doesn't matter that the show itself is in SD. If it is being broadcast on an HD channel you will see a larger file size.

Check to see what channel is resulting in the larger file size. I think you will find that it is an HD channel.

One solution if space is an issue, is to remove that channel from your channel list so that the wishlist won't record from that channel.
And that HD channel most likely has an SD version also.

I have disabled most of the SD equivalent channels in settings because usually if a wish list records it picks up the lower numbered SD channels first. I would prefer HD. However, there are a few SD equivalents that I have enabled to that I do get the SD rather than HD recordings.

Also, even digital broadcasts vary in size depending how the networks encode. NBC programs used to be a lot smaller than ESPN programs. I think NBC has now changed although I would need to verify to make sure.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
sharkster

I know this wasn't the question, but a nice gift for her would be the DVD set of the entire series. That way she can watch whatever episode she wants, whenever she wants it and there will not be any space issues on your Tivos.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
That's true, but in the specific case of I Love Lucy it's old enough that it was actually filmed on 35mm. So there's a decent chance that an HD channel version really is high def; not just upconverted SD.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
lrhorer

Interestingly enough, age is not the only determining factor. Much of the original The Twilight Zone which ended in 1964 was done on video, yet Star Trek, which began 2 years after the end of The Twilight Zone, was done in 35mm. I am not entirely certain, but I believe during the middle to late 1960s, the decision whether to record a series in video or on film was at least in part made based on whether the series was in color or B&W. I think perhaps the quality of color video cameras, or perhaps the cost, size, and weight, were not up to the same standards as B&W video cameras, or perhaps it was issues with color videotape. Whatever the reason, many series were recorded on 35mm film until the 1970s, even though video cameras were commonplace in the industry.

It's ironic that the digitally re-mastered Star Trek series looks better than Star Trek: The Next Generation, produced 21 years later, and is in HD, while STTNG is in SD. Of course, it still has the older 4:3 aspect ratio.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-30-2012 at 02:30 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Series3Sub

I've seen I Love Lucy on Hallmark HD. I can't say that it has been rescanned to HD, as Star Trek TOS has been, but the PQ is better on the HD channel than the SD. However, if the wife don't care, record I Love Lucy on the SD Hallmark equivalent and save some space on the HDD.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote