TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
billypritchard
Embiggener

Suburgatory: Season Two Thread

Anybody catch the season premiere last week? We just caught up with it last night and I was totally cracking up. Very good episode, comparable to anything they did last year.

'My brood has poo'd.'

Dalia's discussion of what a nanny does for you was fantastic. 'If you're walking on the beach and there is only one set of footprints, it's because your nanny is carrying you...'

And some may think that the Shays are a bit extreme, but the scene with Ryan acting like a cat and Fred trying to spray him with the water bottle was killer.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
Anybody catch the season premiere last week? We just caught up with it last night and I was totally cracking up. Very good episode, comparable to anything they did last year.

'My brood has poo'd.'

Dalia's discussion of what a nanny does for you was fantastic. 'If you're walking on the beach and there is only one set of footprints, it's because your nanny is carrying you...'

And some may think that the Shays are a bit extreme, but the scene with Ryan acting like a cat and Fred trying to spray him with the water bottle was killer.
I watched it and I agree. Very underrated show. I loved when she got off the train and everyone getting off and walking on the platform kinda looked like Dalia. That had my laughing.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I watched it and I agree. Very underrated show. I loved when she got off the train and everyone getting off and walking on the platform kinda looked like Dalia. That had my laughing.
"Chatswin, bitches!"
Old 10-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
sharkster

Still loving the show. Dahlia (who rather creeped me out in the beginning) has grown on me to the extent that I really look forward to her scenes as much as any on the show.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
Still loving the show. Dahlia (who rather creeped me out in the beginning) has grown on me to the extent that I really look forward to her scenes as much as any on the show.
She still creeps me out, but she also cracks me up.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I agree about Dahlia. I didn't like Dahlia or Dallas in the beginning. Those two have really grown on me. I can't believe how much I enjoy this show. It doesn't get any attention at all.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Family

We call it "The Cute Show."
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

And so another season ends. And Tessa leaves home again (didn't she leave last season also?).

This show always leaves me feeling mixed. At its best, it's funny and spot-on observant. Yet the ever-present cartoonishness keeps me on edge--is it a spoof, or a sit-dram? That's both its appeal, and its undoing.

All in all, I liked it. And hope it gets renewed for a third season.

Stray thoughts:

* Didn't see that coming. Or that. Or that.

* No tears shed over the George/Dallas split.

* The WWF brawl between Tessa and Dahlia was incredible! Loved it.

* The bit with the dentist was just another in a series of surrealistic scenes. Come on, who sits in a dentist chair with your arch enemy hovering over you?

* Glad to see Noah finally over what's-her-name.

* Mixed feelings on the return of the mom.

* Was this the first time we've actually seen the theme song used in the show?

I'm just appreciative the networks keep a few oddities on their schedule. As much as I love BBT or 2BG, it's fun to have some offbeats too.

What did YOU think?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
TonyD79

Second time. Tessa sang it. Her mother wrote it.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
* Was this the first time we've actually seen the theme song used in the show?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Second time. Tessa sang it. Her mother wrote it.
I love the use of the theme song within the episode. Done very well both times.

Tess is hot, especially in the opening credit in the white skirt and red & white checked top. That is all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
mattack

Haven't watched the last 2 eps yet, but was it renewed?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Haven't watched the last 2 eps yet, but was it renewed?
It has not been renewed, but the cancellation bear is not chasing it either. Looks positive.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
firerose818
Graduate student!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Lisa meowing "Eye of the Tiger" had me rolling.
firerose818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #14
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerose818 View Post
Lisa meowing "Eye of the Tiger" had me rolling.
Was cat fight suppose to be implied by that?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
wprager

Seemed to take quite a dark turn at the end. The term "Daddy Altman" creeps me out. "Buttering my bread" had me rewinding. I really enjoy Dahlia's character, but Dallas, not so much. And I want to see "Sheila Shay" in more commercials (even if in the WW ones she's not really playing the character).
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #16
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

So glad the producers realized George and Dallas wasn't working out. I certainly wasn't feelin' it.
gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
jcondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

* The WWF brawl between Tessa and Dahlia was incredible! Loved it.

* The bit with the dentist was just another in a series of surrealistic scenes. Come on, who sits in a dentist chair with your arch enemy hovering over you?

* Glad to see Noah finally over what's-her-name.

What did YOU think?
I thought it was more like Kill Bill or something like that vs WWF. The jumping up in the air and hovering. Or maybe just some bad Saturday morning Kung Fu.

The dentist thing reminded me of an episode of King of Queens where pretty much the same thing happened.

Carmen

We love the show it is different enough. I hope we see less of Dallas if it is renewed. I just find her annoying.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Gerryex

I have mixed feelings about this show! In the beginning I really liked it but hated Dahlia. As time went on I came to think that Dahlia was one of the best characters on the show. Lately the episodes have been less enjoyable and Dahlia has become less of a "dumb blond," meaner and less enjoyable. I guess what I really liked about early Dahlia is that she didn't seem to know too much outside of the things that affect her and she talked about everything within that limited scope. The later Dahlia seems to know much more than before.

A few things really bothered me about the last few episodes. Ok, George and Dallas are a thing and they decide to move in together. But they are going to sell both of their houses? That's ridiculous!! Many people move in together and often it doesn't work out and they just move out and go their separate ways. Yes, I know Sheila found George a buyer even before he decided to sell the house but it was still a stupid thing to do!

Even worse is that NONE of this did George discuss with Tessa or EVEN MENTION IT to her until after he made the decision! How could you not discuss such a major decision with your kids. Especially if she is almost 18 and could easily decide to move out on her own or with some other relative (as she did in the season finale). So overall I think, at least in this situation, he has been a TERIBLE father!!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
sharkster

I feel a lot like you, Gerry! I absolutely couldn't stand Dalia in the beginning. Then I really looked forward to seeing the character and she totally grew on me. Now, the really mean Dalia is just unsettlingly weird, and not in a good way, to me. None of that stuff in the last two eps made much sense with her.

The whole George/Dallas thing was actually kind of strange too, but I guess that relationship had to go somewhere (although I would have left it alone). Now, I guess it will be about him living in that house that Dallas loved, and he didn't, and she still has her house. I cannot stand Sheila. Who lets themselves get pushed around like that??

I'll keep my SP, but things sure took weird directions at the last few eps.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #20
mattack

Yeah, this show got really weird. I don't even really like George/Dallas together, but it just got strange/dark, and not in a good way.

Oh, and as I was watching the Nat Geo show about the 80s (basically, a SLIGHTLY more serious show but somewhat comparable to the "I love the xxs" shows, without the talking head comics), I realized Dahlia simply sounds exactly like a Valley Girl. Now, that may be incredibly obvious, and heck, maybe I thought that before, but I didn't *remember* having the same oh duhh connection before.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Dahlia is doing a new take of the Valley Girl from the 80s. It's called Vocal Fry.

The Vocal Fry Epidemic
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

gossamer88 is online now   Reply With Quote