TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

"Anger Management" picked up for 90 more episodes

http://www.hitfix.com/news/charlie-s...isodes-from-fx

Quote:
FX has given the expected back-90 order to the Charlie Sheen comedy "Anger Management."

The pick-up not only wasn't a surprise, but it was barely even a formality. Under the original production deal between FX and Lionsgate and Debmar-Mercury, a back-90 order for "Anger Management" would automatically be triggered if the comedy met a designated average ratings threshold over the airing of eight of the first ten episodes of the series.
AND... they're going to shoot & air one episode each week for two years!
Quote:
"Charlie Sheen and the entire cast did an amazing job in the first ten episodes, which were produced in a very tight window. I have no doubt that the producers and cast will be able to pull off the Herculean task of producing 90 episodes over the next two years."

Yes. You read that correctly. Not only did FX just trigger a 90-episode back order, but the network is counting on Charlie Sheen to star in those 90 episodes in a two-year period.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
pmyers

I've been enjoying the show.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
TheMerk
Always Bid First

They also announced that Martin Sheen would be joining the cast. I can see Charlie keeping his act together if his dad is around.

Crazy that they did a 90 episode renewal though. Instant syndication.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Jebberwocky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I've been enjoying the show.
very much so here as well.
Jebberwocky! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
BradJW

I heard this was the plan a few weeks ago. I've been liking it as well.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
pmyers

BTW...I heard the deal was for like $100MILLION
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
BTW...I heard the deal was for like $100MILLION
And they called it "The Alan Parsons Project"?
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Do they have an out clause in case Charlie Sheen doesn't make it to 90 more?
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
Do they have an out clause in case Charlie Sheen doesn't make it to 90 more?
Emilio needs work.

/
/
/

Old 08-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I've never watched this show and probably won't, but I was stunned to see *90* episodes ordered. Stunned because I've never heard of that happening with any show and stunned because someone made this kind of commitment to Charlie Sheen - 90 episodes in two years! A sane, sober person would have a hard time pulling that off. I'll take a wild guess and say the person at FX who made this deal will be looking for work soon.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
TheMerk
Always Bid First

You know what they say about idle hands. I think if they can stick to the schedule, and shoot 90 episodes over 2 years, Charlie won't have time to f it up.

/
/
/

Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
vman41
Omega Consumer

The episode I watched didn't impress me, I have no plans to watch any others.
vman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboyjr View Post
I've never watched this show and probably won't, but I was stunned to see *90* episodes ordered. Stunned because I've never heard of that happening with any show and stunned because someone made this kind of commitment to Charlie Sheen - 90 episodes in two years! A sane, sober person would have a hard time pulling that off. I'll take a wild guess and say the person at FX who made this deal will be looking for work soon.
Apparently this is the same type of deal that the Tyler Perry sitcoms on TBS have used. A front ten order to test the waters, and then an immediate back 90 if the results of the first 10 are good enough. A sitcom that can be syndicated is basically a license to print money, so it makes sense that they'd strike while the iron is hot and knock all these out as quickly as possible and then sit back and collect the money for decades. Especially when they are airing on a cable network where the ratings pressure isn't so great.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Apparently this is the same type of deal that the Tyler Perry sitcoms on TBS have used. A front ten order to test the waters, and then an immediate back 90 if the results of the first 10 are good enough. A sitcom that can be syndicated is basically a license to print money, so it makes sense that they'd strike while the iron is hot and knock all these out as quickly as possible and then sit back and collect the money for decades. Especially when they are airing on a cable network where the ratings pressure isn't so great.
I didn't know that, but I can see commiting to Tyler Perry, who has proven he can crank out these shows. I've never watched any of his shows, either, but somebody must be watching.

Charlie is definitely a big name, but I sure wouldn't want my job security tied to his ability to show up for work on a schedule like that.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
mrdazzo7

I didn't believe that number either. If I get bored enough I'm gonna research if that's ever been done before (was the Tyler Perry order really that many?). The biggest "at one time" order I remember hearing was I think 40 episodes for Always Sunny a few years ago. 90 episodes in two years is ridiculous.

Definitely seems nuts. I'm curious what their shooting schedule is like--maybe it's not as grinding as other shows. Is it actually done w/ an audience or is it laugh-tracked later? I think if it's with an audience than that leaves four days a week of rehearsals and one shooting day, but if it's not then they technically can shoot more so I guess it's doable. But yeah I agree, hindging that kind of committment on Sheen seems ridiuclous.

Personally I was even more surprised just because the show wasn't funny. First of all Sheen looks like he's 20 years older than he is, but then had plastic surgery to try to look younger and it didn't go quite right. The dude still looks bad. And the jokes were corny, plus the over-the-top laughter at things that weren't even jokes was a huge turn off. Since it's on FX they should have went single-camera.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
Bob Coxner

I never watched 2 1/2 and was never a Charlie Sheen fan. However, I've watched a few episodes of AM and have to admit that it's not bad. It's really just an updated version of The Bob Newhart Show, with more sex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bob_Newhart_Show
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #17
curt222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
And they called it "The Alan Parsons Project"?
www.sshhh.com
curt222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Winning!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
I didn't believe that number either. If I get bored enough I'm gonna research if that's ever been done before (was the Tyler Perry order really that many?). The biggest "at one time" order I remember hearing was I think 40 episodes for Always Sunny a few years ago. 90 episodes in two years is ridiculous.
I believe there are at least two different Tyler Perry sitcoms on TBS and both have followed that pattern. Not sure if it's been done on other shows before that.

But think about it this way. These cable networks have 24 hours a day to fill. They can pay the licensing for theatrical movies, but those can't be repeated all that much, and they don't generally cause channel surfers to stop. They can sell off some of their time to infomercials, but that just devalues the channel. Or they can develop their own content, especially short-form content that repeats easily and will cause channel surfers to stop and check it out for a few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Definitely seems nuts. I'm curious what their shooting schedule is like--maybe it's not as grinding as other shows. Is it actually done w/ an audience or is it laugh-tracked later? I think if it's with an audience than that leaves four days a week of rehearsals and one shooting day, but if it's not then they technically can shoot more so I guess it's doable. But yeah I agree, hindging that kind of committment on Sheen seems ridiuclous.
Multi-cam sitcoms are generally thought of as the easiest gig in Hollywood. The network sitcoms usually shoot one episode per week. The typical schedule for the actors is to have a table read on Tuesday, rehearsals on Wednesday, and the taping on Thursday. There's much more involved for the crew, with set changes, props, writing, lighting, etc. but for the actors, it's a pretty cushy gig. There's no reason Charlie Sheen shouldn't be able to do this, especially if he's serious about getting clean and changing his reputation.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #20
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
There's no reason Charlie Sheen shouldn't be able to do this, especially if he's serious about getting clean and changing his reputation.
That's a pretty big if though.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #21
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I suspect they can only make a profit on this show if it's sold to syndication. Either they were going to lose money on the 10 episodes or make money on 90. I don't think there was any in between option.

I think it's an interesting business plan and hope more shows follow suit. I would be much more willing to stay with a show if they can guarantee 90 episodes.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I suspect they can only make a profit on this show if it's sold to syndication. Either they were going to lose money on the 10 episodes or make money on 90. I don't think there was any in between option.

I think it's an interesting business plan and hope more shows follow suit. I would be much more willing to stay with a show if they can guarantee 90 episodes.
Think of all the ads they'll be able to run during the countless repeats this show will air over the course of the next two seasons. As a business model, this works much better than network sitcoms that only get to air once, maybe twice, during their network lifetime.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Think of all the ads they'll be able to run during the countless repeats this show will air over the course of the next two seasons. As a business model, this works much better than network sitcoms that only get to air once, maybe twice, during their network lifetime.
True but even if they air it 3-4 times per week, the ad rates are much less than network shows. They still probably don't make the same amount as a broadcast network ad spot even after 3-4 airings. I think they need syndication for this to work.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:37 AM   #24
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
True but even if they air it 3-4 times per week, the ad rates are much less than network shows. They still probably don't make the same amount as a broadcast network ad spot even after 3-4 airings. I think they need syndication for this to work.
Obviously the whole point of the 100 episode order is to get to synidication. And the reason they're doing it in two years is to prevent the show wearing out its welcome before it reaches that 100-episode level. But in the meantime, FX will be able to show each episode a lot more than 3-4 times. I'm talking about marathons, catch up episodes, etc. FX has 168 hours a week to fill, and less than ten hours per week of its own original content. You don't think they'll be able to find time to show each episode of Anger Management more than 3-4 times over the course of the next two years?
Old 09-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
MarkofT

Quote:

I'm thinking that they are making more then your average cable sitcom. A couple episodes ago, when they dealt with the road rage of the heiress character, she was driving a Fiat 500 Abarth and the had a shot that panned up from the car's hood ornament to the car's interior. Nice solid bit of product placement that ties in with Charlie's own ad for the Abarth.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #26
WhiskeyTango

Quote:

Who's they? And why would this show be any different from the tons of other shows that make money without syndication?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #27
jilter
Happy to be here.

It is not a terrible show. And any show that gives me more than the 10 or so episodes per season like other series lately is alright with me.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #28
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Who's they? And why would this show be any different from the tons of other shows that make money without syndication?
Most sitcoms don't make money without syndication.....at least not any serious money.