TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
tiams

Stars in Danger: The High Dive 1/9/13

I cannot believe this is a show, but I will watch. I predict liberal use of ff button though.

Stars In Danger " The High Dive Promo #2 " (HD)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
mdougie

JWOW is going to be on.

I totally loved the Snookie Jwow marathon this last weekend.
mdougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdougie View Post
JWOW is going to be on.

I totally loved the Snookie Jwow marathon this last weekend.
The first episode of the new season of Snookie and Jwoww aired last night. I too want to see Jwoww on this diving show.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

This is just a 1-episode special, right? I can't believe it's a show but I have an eerie desire to watch this wreck.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
This is just a 1-episode special, right? I can't believe it's a show but I have an eerie desire to watch this wreck.
Not sure if the FOX one is just one episode or not, but ABC has what basically is the same show coming up that is indeed a series.

(Background: FOX's show originated in Germany as "TV Total Turmspringen," while ABC's show originated in the Netherlands as "Sterren Springen." Different shows, same basic concept.)
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
This is just a 1-episode special, right?
I think that "for now" it is a one-off special (they need something to show on Wednesdays between when The X Factor ends and when American Idol begins), but they could always turn it into a summer series (at which point, Nigel Lythgoe would probably say, "You took away the So You Think You Can Dance? results show for this?")

Of course, the problem with that would be, ABC already has a "celebrity diving" series planned, and while, apparently, there can't be too many singing competition series, there is such a thing as too many celebrity diving series.

How soon before there are enough reality show "stars" willing to do anything for their 16th minute of fame that somebody considers bringing back Circus of the Stars?
That Don Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
WhiskeyTango

I watched for about 5 minutes. That female host was brutal. All she did was tell the divers how great they did even when they admitted they kinda sucked.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
getreal
postcrastinator

"Stars"? In "danger"? By jumping off the high dive into a pool? Like the local swimming pool's high dive board? This is a show? Somebody pitched this show, a network exec greenlit it, money was spent, people were employed, the cast was called, the show was edited and distributed and they found broadcast time on a network schedule ... for THIS?

PS, I didn't know about it, and therefore did not watch it. I'm just stupefied. Yeah, I said it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
How soon before there are enough reality show "stars" willing to do anything for their 16th minute of fame that somebody considers bringing back Circus of the Stars?
didn't they already do a renewed circus of the stars a year or two ago?

I wish they'd bring back a *good* version of Battle of the Network Stars. (i.e. real physical-ish competitions… IIRC one of the redone versions was WAY fluffier.) I loved that show as a kid.

Tangentially, I don't care how seriously people talk about David Frost, I always think of him as the host of the Guinness Book of World Records specials!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
inaka

With "stars" like Kyle richards and J-Wow, I wish the pool they drained the pool before their high dives.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
didn't they already do a renewed circus of the stars a year or two ago?
I don't think so. CBS tried something called "Secret Talents of the Stars," and at least one of the celebrities was supposed to do a circus-style aerial act, but the show was cancelled after one episode. A British network also did a series where celebrities competed against each other doing circus acts.

Quote:
I wish they'd bring back a *good* version of Battle of the Network Stars. (i.e. real physical-ish competitions… IIRC one of the redone versions was WAY fluffier.) I loved that show as a kid.
When was the most recent Battle of the Network Stars? And are you sure you aren't thinking of Superstars (which I also think should be brought back "legimately" - i.e. just athletes, and maybe a separate competition for just celebrities, but doing the same events)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
"Stars"? In "danger"? By jumping off the high dive into a pool? Like the local swimming pool's high dive board? This is a show?
It was sold as having celebrities jump off the 10m platform, which can be dangerous, although I turned it off after an hour or so, so I don't remember anybody diving off anything higher than 7m.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
With "stars" like Kyle richards and J-Wow, I wish the pool they drained the pool before their high dives.
JWow didn't do any diving - she hurt herself in practice.

One problem I had: jumping straight into the pool feet first without doing any somersaults or twists isn't exactly "diving"; in fact, it's not even listed on any diving "degree of difficulty" tables.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

I don't even know who Kyle Richards is.

I saw some clips of this on Kathy Griffin. People just jumping off and going straight down, feet first. It was funny. Yes, I know jumping from 20 feet up can result in injury, but it's still funny to see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I don't even know who Kyle Richards is.
A quick check on IMDB says...she had a recurring role as a nurse on ER (not that many appearances, so it may have been a background role, kind of like the nurses on House), she was a regular on Little House on the Prairie, and...Lissy on Down to Earth? Now that brings back memories. (If you have never heard of Down to Earth, it was a TBS-only series from 1984 to 1987; the only reason I ever saw it was, during its first season, it took over the final half-hour of TBS's Saturday wrestling show.)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
A quick check on IMDB says...she had a recurring role as a nurse on ER (not that many appearances, so it may have been a background role, kind of like the nurses on House), she was a regular on Little House on the Prairie, and...Lissy on Down to Earth? Now that brings back memories. (If you have never heard of Down to Earth, it was a TBS-only series from 1984 to 1987; the only reason I ever saw it was, during its first season, it took over the final half-hour of TBS's Saturday wrestling show.)
Possibly more relevant, or at least more current, she's on "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills."

No, I didn't know that, I had to look it up too.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Terrell Owens and tWitch? Diving?

How did I miss this?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

so, like, a nobody.

jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #17
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I'm astounded that so many people on this board haven't figured out the formula for these shows.

The cast is not supposed to be attractive across the board to everyone in the audience. I suspect the producers want one or two people to attract the notice of any individual fan. The rest of the cast isn't supposed to matter to that viewer, because those people are elimination fodder.

They choose people from a wide range of shows to catch a wide range of viewers.

It's like a book cover. Remember books? The artwork is intended to make you take the book off the rack/shelf. It doesn't matter if the cover matches the contents. Its job is to get the book into your hands.

So as long as one person in the cast hooks you, and you watch the show, and you like the show, that's all that matters. In the course of watching the show, you might discover you like someone else, and keep watching it, even if your 'favorite' is eliminated.

If these shows bore you in general, then you aren't in the target audience for the show. I see this complaint over and over again on TCF, no matter what the show.

The fantasy-camp element of these shows is what makes them the most fun for me. That's easily 90% of the appeal. Especially for something like Circus of the Stars. Here in the Bay Area, there are places where you can actually go and learn how to do circus stuff, but most places, I don't think people can. And if I tried, I would suck at it anyway. So it's fun watching other people do it instead.

I'm not saying you have to like it -- but why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Last edited by murgatroyd : 01-13-2013 at 01:09 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
mattack

Quote:
When was the most recent Battle of the Network Stars? And are you sure you aren't thinking of Superstars (which I also think should be brought back "legimately" - i.e. just athletes, and maybe a separate competition for just celebrities, but doing the same events)?
According to imdb, 2003

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386315/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

That might be what I was thinking of, might not. I admit, my memory gets flaky, even on pop culture stuff.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
tiams

I couldn't get through 30 mins of it.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

It was not the most entertaining thing I have ever seen, no.
But I can't tell you how much I admire people who go and learn how to do something new and then do it on live teevee in front of millions of people.
Essentially IN THEIR UNDERWEAR!
I am WAY too self conscious to do that and it limits me tremendously.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
It was not the most entertaining thing I have ever seen, no.
But I can't tell you how much I admire people who go and learn how to do something new and then do it on live teevee in front of millions of people.
Essentially IN THEIR UNDERWEAR!
I am WAY too self conscious to do that and it limits me tremendously.
+1000

By the way, one of the best competitive shows I've ever seen (no celebrities) was on ESPN once. A fire-fighter's challenge, where they did events based on stuff you have to do when you are a firefighter -- carry hose up four flights of stairs, etc. With different divisions for age, and so on.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
By the way, one of the best competitive shows I've ever seen (no celebrities) was on ESPN once. A fire-fighter's challenge, where they did events based on stuff you have to do when you are a firefighter -- carry hose up four flights of stairs, etc. With different divisions for age, and so on.
Sounds like the New York State Volunteer Firefighters Competition. This was one of ABC's Wide World of Sports' "annual events" (along with, e.g. a Harlem Globetrotters game, the St. Moritz toboggan run (how many victims will the Shuttlecock turn claim this year?), the World Lumberjack Championships (from Hayward, WI), and the World Wrist Wrestling Championships (from Petaluma, CA)).
Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #23
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Sounds like the New York State Volunteer Firefighters Competition. This was one of ABC's Wide World of Sports' "annual events" (along with, e.g. a Harlem Globetrotters game, the St. Moritz toboggan run (how many victims will the Shuttlecock turn claim this year?), the World Lumberjack Championships (from Hayward, WI), and the World Wrist Wrestling Championships (from Petaluma, CA)).
Could be. It was much more recent than WWoS (i.e. post-TiVo) and international (some firehouses from Canada, which is not surprising for an event taking place in New York).

Whatever the event, it was a fine show of athleticism by everyone (young and old, men and women).
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
getreal
postcrastinator

It could have been the annual World Police & Fire Games, which is a big deal.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #25
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Found it: SCOTT Firefighter Combat Challenge®

Quote:
Welcome to the SCOTT Firefighter Combat Challenge®- seen on ESPN for a dozen years. The Challenge annually attracts hundreds of U.S. and Canadian municipal fire departments at more than 25 locations and is now expanding to countries around the world, including New Zealand, Germany, Argentina, Chile, and South Africa. The Challenge seeks to encourage firefighter fitness and demonstrate the profession's rigors to the public. Wearing "full bunker gear" and the SCOTT Air-Pak breathing apparatus, pairs of competitors race head-to-head as they simulate the physical demands of real-life firefighting by performing a linked series of five tasks including climbing the 5-story tower, hoisting, chopping, dragging hoses and rescuing a life-sized, 175 lb. "victim" as they race against themselves, their opponent and the clock.
Apologies for the hijack -- you can carry on complaining about celebrities now.