Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #31
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
So then Rachel thinks that Leekie has probably escaped, since she didn't have him killed?
Yep. She told him to run, and not to go back to his apartment, etc. And he did run, and didn't go back to his apartment. I don't know why she should be suspicious... or even care, really, where he is.

I'm not sure how that plotline would ever resurface in any way, given the situation they have now. Maybe if something else happens, like someone checks Donnie's car for bloodstains for some reason, or they decide they need Leekie back and try to track him down (but it would have to be soon when they still have a chance of getting surveillance footage), then maybe it will become an issue.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #32
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
No worries unless Leekie was leaky.
He was congealed, so it's all good.

I loved the pink duct tape.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #33
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post

Yeah, I laughed at that. Nobody's going to be eating that food.
Well not now that they've had kinky sex on top of it it.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:20 AM   #34
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I thought Rachel impersonating Sarah perfectly was a stretch. Maybe I should go back and examine the scene more closely but if Rachel not only matched Sarah's speech patterns, hairdo and clothes on her first shot, then that's a bit unbelievable.
There must have been some hints written into the scene (for the audience) because I was at first intrigued why Sarah would be speaking in Rachel's accent, and then gasped in shock when I realized it must be Rachel. This is just moments before Felix's phone rang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
I mean does anyone here think that we could clone humans back in the early 1990s?
The type of cloning needed for the show plot, is surprisingly simple. For some reason, it's not discussed widely, like a black sheep of the science world. It can be done with the equivalent to artificial twinning, and we could do this soon after IVF was invented. The main thing preventing the scenario is ethical restrictions.

I remember being told about this technique in the 80's.

> Separating an Embryo The simplest way to make clones is making twins, which have the exact same DNA. This can be achieved by separating the embryo and duplicating one into two. Using this technique one can make perfectly identical twins. Embryo splitting or blastomere separation ... was attempted by Hall and Stillman in 1993. They used embryos that contained too much genetic information and got as far as 32-cell divisions in some the embryos. At this stage the embryo can be implanted in the womb. In theory it is possible to make triplets, quadruplets and even more using the same method. But in reality it is impossible to make more than four duplicates from one embryo. Trying to make more than four clones at the same time results in the death of the embryos. This technology has been used for stockbreeding for many years.

NY Times Coverage: Scientist clones human embryos and creates an ethical challenge

Natural Identical Quadruplets: http://columbiametro.com/Columbia-Me...s-Quadruplets/

Last edited by telemark : 06-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #35
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

But these aren't merely split embryos. They are genetically engineered to be infertile and they have special coding in their DNA sequence. Is that something that was possible in the 80s or early 90s?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #36
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
But these aren't merely split embryos. They are genetically engineered to be infertile and they have special coding in their DNA sequence. Is that something that was possible in the 80s or early 90s?
So, you are implying that it is not the cloning that was groundbreaking, but the genetic engineering?

I'll note that the genetic engineering, while very difficult technologically, is not very impressive from a practical standpoint. It does not appear to have done anything to the clones that most people would consider positive.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #37
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
So, you are implying that it is not the cloning that was groundbreaking, but the genetic engineering? I'll note that the genetic engineering, while very difficult technologically, is not very impressive from a practical standpoint. It does not appear to have done anything to the clones that most people would consider positive.
They seem to heal pretty well, as does Kara.
| Twitter:
Old 06-20-2014, 11:32 AM   #38
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
They seem to heal pretty well, as does Kara.
Kira?

Other than perhaps Helena, I do not see any special healing abilities of the clones that could not be attributed to the usual TV trope of characters healing faster than real life.

And the clones do not seem to heal very well at all from respiratory disease (or whatever that is that they seem to suffer from).
Old 06-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #39
danterner
Not it!

Yes, sorry, Kira. She (and Helena) seem to me to have a faster-than-trope healing factor. I know Helena's wounds weren't fatal because her organs are mirrored, but it seems she's still healed awfully fast on a number of occasions. And Kira bounced back from her car accident very well. The other clones haven't been as accident-prone, so we haven't had as much opportunity to see it in them.
| Twitter:
Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #40
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
....The other clones haven't been as accident-prone, so we haven't had as much opportunity to see it in them.
Yes, but I have just assumed that we are supposed...well...assume that all the clones have similar healing abilities, based on having seen the evidence in Helena and Kira. (Of course I realize Kira is not a clone, but I'm generalizing.)
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #41
john4200

I do not think Kira can be used as supporting evidence for "genetically engineered clones heal faster" than normal humans.

Kira likely has mutations, and she is certainly NOT an intended consequence of the genetic engineering. Quite the opposite. And, the reason Dyad wanted her so much, is because she apparently has something related to healing that the clones lack, that could possibly heal the disease some clones suffer from.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #42
telemark

There are some dates on wikipedia on Gene Therapy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_th...apy_technology

Ethan might be the only one who knows their intended special abilities. But the grand experiment could be testing Nature vs Nurture, or they put in slight variances between the clones to find the best combination. Or they lost track what their artificial sequences do, and have to reverse engineer them.

Military experiments on soldiers, have often revolved around improving combat performance.
Stronger
Faster
Endurance
with Lack of Sleep
Follows commands
but with Good judgment
Unhesitant to kill
and No PTSD

That said, their typical test subject is Male instead of Female. So I dunno what's really going on.

Last edited by telemark : 06-20-2014 at 02:59 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #43
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Well not now that they've had kinky sex on top of it it.
"Kinky"? I beg to differ....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote