TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #31
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

The thread already lists the episode number.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #32
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
It's wrong. This was Episode 5.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #33
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Good point. Any reference or vagueness about future eps is not welcome here.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #34
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

It's confusing, I'm guessing because the first two eps were aired together?

I'm OTA and don't get PBS so I downloaded the season months ago but an watching it now, "real time". I have a hell of a time figuring out which episode I'm supposed to watch when.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #35
Sadara
huh?

I am very sad that Sybil is gone. I do think this is going to cause some very explosive arguments about the baptism of the baby etc.

I also think that the management of the estate is going to cause some explosive arguments as well.

Honestly, I think the next few episodes could get very interesting and I'm looking forward to watching them for free on PBS!

I'm cheap and don't want to pay for the episodes!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
daveak
Series 3 Novice

I made the mistake of looking at Facebook before I watched the show. Before it even aired here, one particular friend was posting a couple spoilers - including the death of Sybil. This particular person watches to much live TV and cannot stop posting things as they happen - I no longer see their posts in my feed (it has been a continual problem and we are not that close anyway). I lost the dramatic effect knowing she was going to die.....
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #37
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by billypritchard View Post
This just highlights how stupid PBS has been with this. iTunes users and dvd buyers now get to see the season before us PBS watchers! It's ridiculous.
How is that any different than a movie that can be seen in the theaters or purchased on DVD prior to PPV or HBO et al?
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #38
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Sybil was my fav as well. She was certainly the kind sister. Even Thomas knew that.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #39
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
How is that any different than a movie that can be seen in the theaters or purchased on DVD prior to PPV or HBO et al?
For the purposes of this discussion, it matters because we aren't supposed to start threads in TV Show Talk for shows until they are broadcast in the US. Presumably now that the DVDs are out, one could start threads because the episodes are available for purchase in the US.

For FB, etc. it's no different than recording a sports event but not being able to watch it until you get home, or trying to avoid spoilers on sports events which are tape-delayed, like the Olympics, or living in a time zone which is tape-delayed from the East Coast feed.

The people who get to see it first go about doing what they do, oblivious that there are other people who can't join in the experience in their timestream, and too bad for the rest of us. The only recourse timeshifters have (whether we are time-shifted willingly or by force) are to ignore them.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #40
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Is there a thread yet to discuss the Season 3 finale/Christmas special? I watched it via iTunes, not sure when it airs in the US.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #41
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
It's wrong. This was Episode 5.
PBS aired the first two hours in one block. I didn't know they were actually two episodes. Regardless, the air date was included in the thread title.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #42
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc View Post
Is there a thread yet to discuss the Season 3 finale/Christmas special? I watched it via iTunes, not sure when it airs in the US.
Would suggest you start a "full season *spoilers*" thread and discuss away! The rest of us will stick to individual episode threads as the season plays out on PBS.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #43
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I am here to tempt those who want to watch all of season 3 for free-PM me and I will send you a link
Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #44
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post

For the purposes of this discussion, it matters because we aren't supposed to start threads in TV Show Talk for shows until they are broadcast in the US. Presumably now that the DVDs are out, one could start threads because the episodes are available for purchase in the US.

For FB, etc. it's no different than recording a sports event but not being able to watch it until you get home, or trying to avoid spoilers on sports events which are tape-delayed, like the Olympics, or living in a time zone which is tape-delayed from the East Coast feed.

The people who get to see it first go about doing what they do, oblivious that there are other people who can't join in the experience in their timestream, and too bad for the rest of us. The only recourse timeshifters have (whether we are time-shifted willingly or by force) are to ignore them.
Agree with you. I was responding to the post that called PBS stupid.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #45
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Agree with you. I was responding to the post that called PBS stupid.
And I wasn't disagreeing with you. In the book industry, stuff comes out in hardcover, and the people who like paperbacks instead whine about having to wait. Or the ebook is delayed, and people whine. Or the ebook comes out first, and people whine. My favorite: the book comes out in simultaneous hardcover and paperback release, with the same sheet size, and people say "why did the publisher do that -- they've cut into the hardcover sales!"

Whatever happens, somebody's unhappy.

The publishers / providers do what they do, and
Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #46
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Would suggest you start a "full season *spoilers*" thread and discuss away! The rest of us will stick to individual episode threads as the season plays out on PBS.
Eh, I can wait. Just didn't know what existed at this point.

iTunes had been releasing the episodes the day after they air here, but for some reason released the remaining 4 this past Mondy.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #47
DavidJL

Right before the start of this season there was word of a huge spoiler going around (on sites like Yahoo, etc) that was easily seen without warning. Does anyone know if this, Sybil's death, was the one or do I still have to browse with one hand at the ready to yank out the power cord from the wall?

Thanks
DavidJL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #48
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJL View Post
Right before the start of this season there was word of a huge spoiler going around (on sites like Yahoo, etc) that was easily seen without warning. Does anyone know if this, Sybil's death, was the one or do I still have to browse with one hand at the ready to yank out the power cord from the wall?
I can assure you that things do happen in each and every episode of the third season. If you don't want to know what happens, then I expect that you will want to take precautions.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #49
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:

Or just start a thread per episode and the rest of us will jump in when we get there.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #50
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post

Or just start a thread per episode and the rest of us will jump in when we get there.
This, please!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #51
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Yes, that's exactly what all of us who saw it first are doing.

Or maybe there are some of us who are fully cognizant that others haven't seen these episodes yet and don't discuss any potential spoilers in public. But, you know, don't let that stop you from painting with your overly-broad brush.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #52
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Yes, that's exactly what all of us who saw it first are doing.

Or maybe there are some of us who are fully cognizant that others haven't seen these episodes yet and don't discuss any potential spoilers in public. But, you know, don't let that stop you from painting with your overly-broad brush.
Obviously my post wasn't clear from context, so may I clarify?

I was complaining about the small but annoying subset of people who Tweet in real-time, or post FB statuses in real-time, as they watch the show, so that if you aren't in their time-zone, the only way to avoid spoilers is to quit following them.

I can see why it is fun to post in real-time, but it's extremely unfriendly to people who are watching behind Live.

Here on TCF this kind of behavior often manifests itself as season-long threads, where the early viewers make no effort to delineate where each episode starts, effectively making it impossible for viewers who don't watch in the early time zones from participating in the discussion.

This is why a lot of us despise whole-season threads.

I do appreciate people who avoid posting spoilers, and I thank you for your consideration.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #53
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
This, please!
Well, get to it, girl!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #54
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I'm not starting threads for episodes I haven't watched. :P
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #55
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Quote:
I'm not starting threads for episodes I haven't watched. :P
Sorry, mum. I fought you was one of dem dat seen the whole lot of 'um.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #56
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post
I don't know the ins and outs of the forum rules on this sort of thing, but would that be allowed if the episodes have not aired? Even if they are legally available from another source?

On the one hand, I don't really care, as long as such threads were clearly marked. On the other, if they were populated by people who have already seen the whole thing, I rather doubt that the conversation would always be limited to what had happened in that episode. Which means those of us watching on PBS could never really participate for fear of being spoiled.

So I'm back to feeling like someone should start a "whole season" thread for anyone who has already completed the run and wants to talk about it freely.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #57
JMikeD

Quote:
Sybil! I can't believe they wrote her out.
They pretty much had to. The actress quit the series.

Last edited by JMikeD : 02-15-2013 at 08:37 AM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote