TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Jrudy

Question Connecting to antenna

TiVo newbie here. Retiring and need to eliminate Direct TV bill. Plan to install antenna system and TiVo. (2 TVs). which Model TiVo should I be looking at ? Do I need 2 TiVos ? (have good Internet access)
Jrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Any two-tuner Premiere will work with antenna. Four-tuner models do not work with antenna. So you want a Premiere or Premiere XL. Avoid Premiere 4 and 4XL.

You can also use a Series 3 box, like the original Series 3 with the front panel display or the TiVo HD and HD XL.

TiVo has some really good deals on boxes this week.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Jrudy

Smile

Thanks, . . Know where to start now, at least
Notice you are in Louisville. . . Just up the road a piece (Cinc. Area)
Jrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Series 2 single tuner TiVos would work with a converter box, but they are standard definition, so I wouldn't advise it if you have High Def TVs. I do still use a Series 2 in the bedroom, but mainly because it has a DVD recorder built in. Only Series 2 Tivos have DVD recorders built into some of them. The cheapest Tivos with lifetime is a DVD recorder with basic lifetime.
Some Series 3 Tivos have capacitor problems, but they aren't hard to fix.

Reception with antenna TV isn't reliable for me or anyone that I know in the Denver area. Sometimes you get great reception and somes not. Doesn't seem to be related to anything. Don't really understand why it changes, and I have a 2 year degree in electronics and 20 years of experience!
But I have 3 TiVos always running and seem to get the program on at least on one of them.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you want to be current, go with the Premiere or the Premiere XL. The older models are no longer being blessed with software updates.

OTOH, the Tivo HD has been rock solid for me. If you don't care about having an HDUI and all the other bells and whistles, the Series 3 models are worth considering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If you want to be current, go with the Premiere or the Premiere XL. The older models are no longer being blessed with software updates.
Actually, some of the older models are still being 'blessed' with software downgrades, as TiVo updates them so they will no longer do the half hour time shifting if they don't have a contract anymore. Before the 'updates' you could use a DT Series 2 for a half hour time shifting machine.
The older models don't really need any software updates as far as I know, except for the Series 1s could use some work. But hardly anyone uses those anyway.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
hctub

Will a dtv hr10 -250 work ?
hctub is offline   Reply With Quote