TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
blacksnakeball

XL4 and 30 sec skip and Harmony One Remote

Question:

I upgraded from Tivo HD XL to the XL4 recently and loving the new machine. I have always used a Logitech Harmony One remote with Tivo. I was able to make a new profile with the remote for the XL4 and all the buttons are mapped they way I like and the remote works fine.

But the XL4 has a few features the HD Xl does not. If you hold the advance (30 sec skip) button it will now take you to the end of a recording or to live TV. This is new for me. And of course my remote (or the tivo) seems a bit too glitchy for this feature. If i tap the button it usually takes me 30 secs. if I tap it 3 times it will advance 90 seconds etc. But often if i tap the button it will act as if I am pressing and holding and then take me to the end of the recording. Last night I was watching Matt Harvey pitching a perfect game in the 6th inning. i skipped ahead to the 7th being careful to just lightly tap the button - and of course it took me to the end of the game (Harvey allowed one hit)

This seems to happen mostly in longer recordings of live events - like sports.

Is there any way to disable the feature of skipping to end of recording. I like that u can skip to the beginning of a recording by holding down the replay button. But skipping to end is sort of pointless cause you could always hit ff a few times and then hit the 30 sec skip button and tivo would jump by steps to the end very fast.

If there is no way to disable this feature perhaps i can adjust my delays within the harmony software. Anyone know the correct process?

Finally I would like to know more about the 30 sec skip feature. On the old Tivo, when i hit that button it would take me 30 secs ahead in a jump cut and usually find the correct spot to continue playback. On the XL4 the 30 sec skip will jog through the recording (i can see the commercials speed by) and usually it is not as precise finding the correct playback. I read that there are codes to toggle that can restore the old 30 sec skip. If this is indeed true, have any of you used this feature on series 4 machines? Is it a better way to skip commercials? Can i set it so it will always stay on or will i have to toggle it on after every show? Will using the 30 sec jump this way eliminate my problem of inadvertently moving to end of recording?

Thanks in advance
blacksnakeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

To answer your last question, you should program the backdoor code (Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select) for your 30SS instead of using the TiVo version (which sucks in my opinion). That brings you back the true 30SS.

I don't believe there's any way (short of a hack) to disable the "feature" of jumping to the end of a recording when you press and hold down the advance button. I have the Harmony One, too, and I've never had the problem you (and others) describe. It always works as it is supposed to. You might want to tinker with your repeats/delays on the Harmony.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote