TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
atmuscarella

GlaxyTab 2 7 & Tivo Android App My 2 cents

Hello All,

Well I bought a Samsung Glaxy Tab 2 7.0 and thought I would comment about it and TiVo's android app. I am not a smart phone person (my only cell phone is a pay as you go tracfone) and have only used 1 other tablet a 7' blackberry.

I went for the Tab 2 over other low cost 7" tablet like the Kindle fire or Nook tablet because it had more features and because I am not tied to Amazon or Barnes & Noble. The Tab 2 is lighter and faster than the blackberry and seems like a nice device that I believe most people would like, however I am generally disappointed and likely will just concede that I pretty much waisted $240 on a toy I likely will not use much.

TiVo's Android app works well on the Tab 2 it found my TiVos and worked well as long as I had a solid WiFi connection. I really don't see the use of the app as it is much easier to pick up either my Logitech or TiVo remotes. I had hoped the Tab 2 could be setup and used like my Logitech remote unfortunately the Samsung remote app for the IR Blaster isn't advanced enough to be used with my setup and Logitech doesn't make an app at all.

I have very limited uses for a tablet but thought given that this one has an IR Blaster, dual cameras, and runs the latest version of Android that I might find it useful - I was wrong. To sum it up:
  1. TiVo's android app works but is disappointing
  2. The IR Blaster works but the Samsung app is disappointing
  3. Surfing the web on a 7" tablet doesn't work for me.
  4. Hulu+ has an app but says the Tab 2 isn't s supported device.
I might just give this to a nephew who has moved away at least he can use it with Skype to video conference with us.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
poofy

If you are within 30 days of when you bought the Tab 2, you can return it.
poofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by poofy View Post
If you are within 30 days of when you bought the Tab 2, you can return it.
I bought it knowing I might not find it very useful and had made the decision if that was how it panned out I would just eat the $240. I will continue to "play" with it and maybe over time will come around to seeing why people are in love with tablets, if not my nephew could still use something to communicate with family with as he doesn't have any type of computer and only has a tracfone.

For those that do find tablets useful I would say this one seems like a winner. It is very responsive and seems to have allot of features for the money.

Thanks,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 05-22-2012 at 01:27 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote