Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #31
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
That doesn't bother me because I think 20K is the "standard/minimum" and the sponsor deserves the credit for increasing it.
What bugs me is the whole idea of "Oh, what a surprise!", like the others just spring it on him like an afterthought.

Just announce "Celebrity Apprentice will give $20,000 and the generous people from Entertainment.com will donate another $40,000 to the charity of the winning project manager".

It's the portrayal of it as a spontaneous donation that bugs me.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #32
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
What bugs me is the whole idea of "Oh, what a surprise!", like the others just spring it on him like an afterthought.

Just announce "Celebrity Apprentice will give $20,000 and the generous people from Entertainment.com will donate another $40,000 to the charity of the winning project manager".

It's the portrayal of it as a spontaneous donation that bugs me.
That's what bugs you most about this show?
That Trump and the product reps are bad actors?

I am far more bothered by the fact that we have not seen the winning team named by the reps so far this season. We get "the winning team is...." and then Trump in the boardroom naming who won purely by virtue of which team he can depend on to bring the most drama.

I mean it's all a load of Trump crap, but I would hate to think that the actual sponsors have no say whatsoever on which team wins.
And I don't think they do.
They're just buying air time for their brand.
Which has always been the case but at least in the past it looked more believable.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #33
supham
Slow Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post

I am far more bothered by the fact that we have not seen the winning team named by the reps so far this season. We get "the winning team is...." and then Trump in the boardroom naming who won purely by virtue of which team he can depend on to bring the most drama.

I mean it's all a load of Trump crap, but I would hate to think that the actual sponsors have no say whatsoever on which team wins.
Which has always been the case but at least in the past it looked more believable.
I work with at Entertainment. According to our CEO , they did pick the winner.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #34
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supham View Post
I work with at Entertainment. According to our CEO , they did pick the winner.
Thank you.
I guess that makes me wrong, then

Do they wish the full length commercials had been aired?
Because the decision made much more sense after having seen them IMO.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #35
supham
Slow Member

I don't think it mattered. We can not air them as our commercials anyway...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #36
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
I don't think it mattered. We can not air them as our commercials anyway...
Why not?

I can understand if the winning commercial is deemed not good enough to be aired (the decision was just to pick the better of the two) but why can't you run it?

-Mike
Old 04-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #37
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

For the record, the whole "what bugs me" conversation was specific to the additional money thrown in by the sponsoring group, not at all the program as a whole as you state.

And in all the time The Apprentice has been airing, we have never seen (to my rememberance, and certainly not any time recently) the "judges" actually name the team that they chose as best.

And yes, its reality TV, but I would not really appreciate taking the time as a corporate sponsor to 'judge' the particular task, only to be told by Donald, "Ya, thanks for your opinion, but I'm gonna do whatever I want to anyway". Could it happen? Yes, but it would seem to me that Trump would be disrespecting those executives by doing that and if he was, I can't think people would continue to be on the show knowing that's what happens. Trump has far more opportunites to screw with the game than to do something like that when he didn't need to.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #38
RichardHead
Musical Klutz

I'm gonna guess it's because The Donald owns it and none of the companies want to pay for that stuff. Any advertising agency presenting those ads would be laughed out of any boardroom anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
Why not?

I can understand if the winning commercial is deemed not good enough to be aired (the decision was just to pick the better of the two) but why can't you run it?

-Mike

Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #39
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:

And yes, its reality TV, but I would not really appreciate taking the time as a corporate sponsor to 'judge' the particular task, only to be told by Donald, "Ya, thanks for your opinion, but I'm gonna do whatever I want to anyway". Could it happen? Yes, but it would seem to me that Trump would be disrespecting those executives by doing that and if he was, I can't think people would continue to be on the show knowing that's what happens. Trump has far more opportunites to screw with the game than to do something like that when he didn't need to.
Just curious if any corporate sponsor has ever appeared more than once?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #40
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
  • ACN: S08E04, S11E04
  • Kodak: S07E03, S09E02
  • Lifelock: S08E07, S08E03
  • Right Guard: S08E09, S09E05

Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #41
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I was trying to remember that while I was composing my post, but none struck me right off the top of my head. I would imagine that enough time has gone by and enough tasks were done that there would have been enough talk within corporate circles that if Donald was blowing executives off, executives would have been hearing about it.

But I'm just an oblivious resident of fly-over country, so I would have no idea what corporate circle conversations would consist of anyway!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #42
IndyJones1023
Documentarianologist

When are they going to realize that Lisa is mainly responsible for the most losses this season? When are they going to get rid of the most vile person (I think) I've ever seen. She's an insufferable c-word.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #43
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJones1023 View Post
When are they going to realize that Lisa is mainly responsible for the most losses this season? When are they going to get rid of the most vile person (I think) I've ever seen. She's an insufferable c-word.
Curmudgeon? That's harsh dude.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #44
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

I don't know why someone doesn't just throw "Loser" right back at her- she's the only one left who has earned NO money for her charity. Even Aubrey got handed $10k to pacify her- that makes Lisa the losingest person left.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #45
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester_Lampwick View Post
Curmudgeon? That's harsh dude.
That's exactly the word I was thinking!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #46
supham
Slow Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHead View Post
I'm gonna guess it's because The Donald owns it and none of the companies want to pay for that stuff. Any advertising agency presenting those ads would be laughed out of any boardroom anyway.
Exactly, we don't own it. I believe we could buy it but we would have to pay Trump and SAG wages to the actors.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #47
marrone
Phased Member

Quote:
Exactly, we don't own it. I believe we could buy it but we would have to pay Trump and SAG wages to the actors.
Wow. That Trump is sure a shrewd one.

-Mike
Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #48
Dnamertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Yeah, but Trump keeps on talking about how much he likes her, just like he did w/Rivers...
Trump says that about all these celebrities, up until he fires them.
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #49
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
How about Lou saying "Take it back! I don't want to be fired!"?

That was giggle-worthy.

As soon as he picked the other teams commercial I knew he was toast.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #50
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb08 View Post
I don't think that anyone need's Trump's permission to leave. It's up to the team to hold him accountable for not being present for the whole task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
It just shows that Penn is an actual "working celebrity". He is in demand and needs to earn his living first and foremost, while playing on a pretend business gameshow is secondary to his actual career which invloves pre-booked Penn & Teller Show obligations.
Exactly. When these celebs are approached to be on the show, they provide the producers with a list of prior engagements that can't be changed, and then they are allowed to leave to handle those obligations. For example, Adam Carolla had to leave pretty early in the season because he was hosting the wedding of one of his employees at his house.
Quote:
When they have tasks like this, do the product people that are judging have the entire say about who the winner was? Not that Donald couldn't ask leading questions in their discussions, but Donald doesn't ask them who won, then decide himself to possibly go against who they chose and pick the other team as the winner, does he?
I'm fairly certain that this is part of the deal that every company understands before going on the show. Their product will be portrayed in a positive light. The executives will get to provide their feedback. But the ultimate decision is up to The Donald, because it's his TV show. If a company has issues with that, they would simply not participate.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #51
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Exactly. When these celebs are approached to be on the show, they provide the producers with a list of prior engagements that can't be changed, and then they are allowed to leave to handle those obligations.
Though I do think it's unfair that these people get a pass to the next week simply because they weren't there. They're unfairly getting farther in the game, by not being there!

I don't really know how to handle that, but maybe something like: let the missing person be one of the ones pulled back in the boardroom, OR once Trump decides to fire someone, then do a coin flip if it's that person or the missing person.

That way, the missing person still is at risk of leaving.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #52
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Though I do think it's unfair that these people get a pass to the next week simply because they weren't there. They're unfairly getting farther in the game, by not being there!
Except it's not the game, or Trump, that's giving them a pass. It's their teammates, and project leader, who's deciding it wouldn't be fair to bring them into the boardroom after losing a task they missed much of. Which is kinda odd if you ask me...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #53
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Except it's not the game, or Trump, that's giving them a pass. It's their teammates, and project leader, who's deciding it wouldn't be fair to bring them into the boardroom after losing a task they missed much of. Which is kinda odd if you ask me...
Penn still contributed more than Lou both times he left
Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #54
kdmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
Penn still contributed more than Lou both times he left
115%?

kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #55
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
If they hold up their end (or more than hold up there end as Penn has a couple times this season), I don't think their leaving to fulfill a prior engagement should be held against them at all. If Lou did what Lou does, then he had a commitment he needed to fulfill, and his team lost, bring his sorry behind into the boardroom. If he does squat, then leaves, he's fair game. So would anyone else, by the way, but for Penn's couple of absences, he still contributed well to his team's task.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #56
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
As long as you are able to contribute to the task in some way as Penn has, you're pretty much guaranteed not to get selected. Say Penn didn't leave and still did the same work, scriptwriting; he'd be around to annoy people like he did with Clay and the PM could say with justification that he sidetracked the team or whatever and bring him back into the boardroom. As it is only the positive aspect of his participation counts. If Aubrey only participated in the idea/theme portion of the task and then left , we'd probably think she was the bees knees instead of a talented unpalatable narcissist.

Last edited by Ment : 04-12-2012 at 04:57 AM.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #57
DUDE_NJX

I was at the event Penn left the show for that week, so I am extremely excited he had chosen not to cancel it!
DUDE_NJX is offline   Reply With Quote