TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #31
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

All this baking is making me hungry...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #32
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiggz View Post
You don't think it went towards any sort soon to be announced major product upgrade for the premieres, do you?
The Premiere platform is about 4 years old, nearly 3 in the market. So I'd say with nearly 100% certainty they must be working on something new. As to when it'll be released and at what price is anyone's guess. Multiple data points indicate there won't be any major refresh in the next few months. But the second half of the year is anyone's guess.

Also, back to the QWERTY remote, I do not think there will be a replacement. There will be another remote of course, but I don't think it'll be QWERTY. Too many people have smartphones and tablets, so I assume TiVo is making a strategic decision based on Slide sales and profit margins.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #33
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Sorry dude that does not make it half baked at all.
I'll compromise and agree with Zatz - the Tivo Stream is 2/3rds baked until it includes Android.

I think my bread's ready now, and it's fully baked. Mmmm.... fresh bread.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #34
ghiggz

[quote=davezatz;9504984]The Premiere platform is about 4 years old, nearly 3 in the market. So I'd say with nearly 100% certainty they must be working on something new. As to when it'll be released and at what price is anyone's guess. Multiple data points indicate there won't be any major refresh in the next few months. But the second half of the year is anyone's guess.

Hm. I really don't want to wait too much longer before getting rid of my crap Motorola DVR though. I think I'll take my chances and order my TiVo tomorrow. How substantial could an upgrade be anyway? It could turn out to be just a six tuner Premiere, which really seems quite excessive. And isn't TiVo infamous for having long product cycles?
ghiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

All indications are that if they do release something new it will be a minor hardware refresh. Kind of like how the original S3 and the TiVo HD were both Series 3 units and ran the same basic software. I don't think it'll be substantial enough that you'll regret buying the current model Premiere.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #36
skruggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
All indications are that if they do release something new it will be a minor hardware refresh. Kind of like how the original S3 and the TiVo HD were both Series 3 units and ran the same basic software. I don't think it'll be substantial enough that you'll regret buying the current model Premiere.

Dan
I certainly hope not, considering how brand spanking new mine is
skruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #37
daveak
Series 3 Novice

I have an original S3 that may be older, but I still love it. And a new two tuner premier bought last November. I still considered getting an older S3 as a second TiVo. Sometimes even older gear is more than sufficient for your needs. Ifd they came out with a brand new box tomorrow - so what? I will buy a new one when I need it. IMHO, of course. The ownership life seems to be great for a TiVo product - not like buying a great flat screen, only to see one with a better picture in 6-7 months for less money.