TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
robdam1001

TiVo Slide Remote controlling Zvox 525 Sound Bar POWER

I programmed my Slide to control the Zvox 525's volume and mute just fine. How can I have the Slide control the 525's power on/off?
robdam1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
ZVOXAudio

You don't need to program power for the ZVOX 525

The ZVOX 525 has an auto on, auto off circuit. About a second after you turn on your TV and send a signal to the ZVOX system, it will come out of standby. About two minutes after you shut off the TV, the ZVOX will automatically go into standby mode. So you shouldn't need to program your remote for power on/off. Tom from zvoxaudio.com
ZVOXAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
robdam1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOXAudio View Post
The ZVOX 525 has an auto on, auto off circuit. About a second after you turn on your TV and send a signal to the ZVOX system, it will come out of standby. About two minutes after you shut off the TV, the ZVOX will automatically go into standby mode. So you shouldn't need to program your remote for power on/off. Tom from zvoxaudio.com
Thank you for your reply. How do I know when auto on/off is actually turned on? Won't the TiVo turn the 525 back on if it automatically changed the channel to record a show even though the tv is off?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
robdam1001

Auto on/off doesn't appear to work for me. I have my TV connected to the Tivo via HDMI. Then red/white out from TiVo to the 525. When I turn the TV off using the TiVo remote, the 525 remains on. Very annoying.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
kdzenith

Bought the Zvox 550 HSD sound bar a few days ago and am now using it with my old Tivo S3 THX. The glow remote common to that Tivo controls the volume and mute of the Zvox without any problem. There are no codes available in the Tivo to control the Zvox, but I vaguely remembered that the glow remote is a "learning" remote. I found my old Tivo S3 user manual and read the description to "learn" when there are no codes. Worked like a champ. So now I have the speakers on my TV off and all audio routed to the Zvox 550. I control the whole enchilada with the Tivo glow remote. Hooray!!!
kdzenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
robdam1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzenith View Post
Bought the Zvox 550 HSD sound bar a few days ago and am now using it with my old Tivo S3 THX. The glow remote common to that Tivo controls the volume and mute of the Zvox without any problem. There are no codes available in the Tivo to control the Zvox, but I vaguely remembered that the glow remote is a "learning" remote. I found my old Tivo S3 user manual and read the description to "learn" when there are no codes. Worked like a champ. So now I have the speakers on my TV off and all audio routed to the Zvox 550. I control the whole enchilada with the Tivo glow remote. Hooray!!!
How were you able to have the Zvox power on/off along with your TV please?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
kdzenith

The Zvox 550 HSD has an automatic power on feature. This may be different than other versions of Zvox, I do not know. The reality is that the Zvox is always powered on. If it does not receive an audio signal for 3 minutes, then it reverts to standby mode. I leave it patiently waiting for me to turn on the TV again, then it automatically goes into full power mode. The HSD means this box has a digital audio input, instead of just RCA jacks. I use the digital using a toslink cable because my TV's audio out is only digital, no RCA jacks. Hope this helps. You may want to explore the Zvoxaudio.com site further or contact their tech support for the 525. It could certainly be different.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
kdzenith

Perhaps the problem is that you must use the red/white out of your TV instead of from the Tivo. Your HDMI is successfully sending signal to your TV, but it is the TV settings that say the signal should be routed to an external speaker. The Tivo has no knowledge of that.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
robdam1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdzenith View Post
Perhaps the problem is that you must use the red/white out of your TV instead of from the Tivo. Your HDMI is successfully sending signal to your TV, but it is the TV settings that say the signal should be routed to an external speaker. The Tivo has no knowledge of that.
I tried your suggestion and now the 525 turns on/off with the TV. +1 ! BUT - the audio level doesn't seem to be as loud as it was when I was going through the TiVo. Sigh - 1. Might it be my fading imagination?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
kdzenith

Does your TV have a fixed volume audio out or a variable volume audio out? This setting could impact the Zvox volume. If it is set to variable and the TV's remote control has set it to a reduced volume, this would pass through to the Zvox (I think). I think the "fixed" setting is the best way to go to avoid this potential pitfall.