Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #121
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
True. Plus, there have been any number of times throughout the entire run of this show where Don walking out -- either literally or metaphorically -- did, indeed, end the discussion then and there.
Walking out isn't classic Don. Don's normal approach to this would be "If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation".

Here it was more of an emotional response, I think.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #122
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh View Post
[I meant to answer this. Oops.]

Joan had been approached already with the proposition. So if Don felt so opposed, wouldn't it be to her benefit to let her know that he wouldn't hear of it and fully backs her rejecting it? In fact, when he finally did make that speech, Joan was shown to be visibly comforted by his stance.

Joan is a big girl and doesn't need be protected from the proposition. She does benefit from knowing that Don is repelled and backs her. It's what friends do.
She was propositioned by Pete. Her telling him 'you can't afford it' was her way of blowing him off. I don't think she actually expected an offer. So Don going to her and telling her what happened would likely just have embarrassed her more knowing that they actually seriously considered whoring her out. Joan didn't seem too happy when Lane came into her office to discuss the fact that they (the partners) had discussed it.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #123
DougF

Quote:
...He's cocky and yet afraid he'd be talked into something he vehemently opposes? Hmm, not so sure about that....
I probably didn't word that the best, but I don't think he was afraid of being talked into it. I think he just wasn't going to discuss it anymore.

Quote:
...If he truly opposed the notion, he should have stayed in the meeting and make his case to quash it. Walking out of a debate is not much of a compelling argument, especially amongst equal partners that are free to make the choice that he doesn't endorse...
His walking out was basically stating "Not going to happen. End of discussion." Staying and talking was going to continue a discussion that, in his mind, was over. He made his statement and left. I think as far as he was concerened, that was the end of it.
DougF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:17 PM   #124
minimeh
Vanity Phrase Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
His walking out was basically stating "Not going to happen. End of discussion." Staying and talking was going to continue a discussion that, in his mind, was over. He made his statement and left. I think as far as he was concerened, that was the end of it.
Yeah I get that. Looks like most everybody agrees. The thing is, Don is nothing but an equal partner to the others, not superior in any way within the charter of the business and certainly not possessing overriding veto power. So how could he realistically think that was the end of it? Doesn't add up.

So I'm walking out of this discussion and that's the end of it.

(See, doesn't really work. But then again, I'm not Don Draper. )
minimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #125
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
How big a step is it, really, from being the boss's mistress and getting getting expensive gifts like furs (i.e. the one Don sold to Roger) and sleeping with a client to get a piece of the company?
I know you got a lot of crap for this post, but I think you were close to the mark. The partners made it clear that they think Joan is a whore. If they didn't think she was a whore they wouldn't have asked her to do it. I think Joan figured, "They already think I'm a whore whether I do it or not. I might as well get something out of this."
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #126
Zevida
witless and unarmed

For 5x my salary? I'd do it.

Has to net 5x after taxes though, they better gross it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #127
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh

Yeah I get that. Looks like most everybody agrees. The thing is, Don is nothing but an equal partner to the others, not superior in any way within the charter of the business and certainly not possessing overriding veto power. So how could he realistically think that was the end of it? Doesn't add up.
Because he doesn't see it that way.

He's used to putting his got down and getting what he wants.

I wonder if this episode was a reality check, between Joan, Peggy, and Megan?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #128
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimeh

I don't think it would have occurred to Don in a million years that the other partners would continue to discuss it and reach a deal with Joan behind his back. As far as he was concerned, he ended any talk of it when he left the room.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #129
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ

I don't think it would have occurred to Don in a million years that the other partners would continue to discuss it and reach a deal with Joan behind his back. As far as he was concerned, he ended any talk of it when he left the room.
Exactly. It doesn't matter that technically they're equal partners, that's not how Don sees it.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #130
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
It makes sense to me. He knows Joan has to make her own decisions. He very recently had his attempts to be a part of her life (by helping her financially and hitting on her romantically) rebuffed in very uncertain terms. She has told him to let her be and he did.
Not only that, but to have her willing to do this (from what Pete told him) after rejecting him? I don't think he'd have have a desire to go digging in that direction any more.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #131
gamndbndr

I'm thinking that Lane's deed will be undone by a check bouncing for insufficient funds. Back in the 60's you'd only find an unauthorized check when you got the statement and reconciled, or all of a sudden your checks start bouncing due to NSF.

And in advertising you don't want your media buys going NSF, much less the subcontractors working on your account.

Should prove an interesting development if it happens to SCDP.
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #132
ConstableClyde

I loved this episode!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ConstableClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #133
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:

Don is generally the rainmaker. Equal partner or not, they will usually follow his lead.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #134
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
did anyone else have the thought of the empty elevator shaft
ever since LA LAW I think that every time there is an elevator on TV that we can't see the inside of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant33 View Post
The twist that Don went to Joan's apartment after she had already slept with Herb from Jaguar was brilliantly done.
WOW - that went completely over my head!
I knew I saved this episode for a reason...
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #135
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamndbndr View Post
I'm thinking that Lane's deed will be undone by a check bouncing for insufficient funds. Back in the 60's you'd only find an unauthorized check when you got the statement and reconciled, or all of a sudden your checks start bouncing due to NSF.
I think Joan will be the one to discover Lane's improprieties and then it will be interesting to see whether she blows the whistle or helps him cover it up.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #136
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
I think Joan will be the one to discover Lane's improprieties and then it will be interesting to see whether she blows the whistle or helps him cover it up.
oh my, I hadn't thought about that, but it makes perfect sense from both logical and dramatic standpoints.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #137
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
When Peggy was waiting for the elevator and then it dinged, did anyone else have the thought of the empty elevator shaft from a couple episodes ago and that perhaps Peggy would step in without really looking? That thought only lasted for half a second as I watched, but I wonder if anyone else thought the same.
I apologize in advance -- my wife and I are just catching up with this season, and watched this episode tonight.

But as I read through this and say your comment above, and then your signature below it of :

Quote:
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
I had to laugh! That is exactly how Joey Tribbiani lost his job on General Hospital -- by Dr. Drake Ramore(sp) falling down an empty elevator shaft!