TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
tvoe

Anyone successfully receiving both digital channels 7 and 8 OTA?

Curious if anyone is receiving both digital channels 7 and 8 on their Tivo box using an antenna. I am having issues. (Be sure that you are considering your true digital frequency and not an NTSC virtual channel number)
tvoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Currently all OTA channels are required to go digital so those channes are at x.x. The exception is for those low-power stations can keep their analog transmissions. If you can receive those channels on the TV, but not the Premiere, it may be the Premiere's tuners are less sensitive to receive those channels.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
tvoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Currently all OTA channels are required to go digital so those channes are at x.x. The exception is for those low-power stations can keep their analog transmissions. If you can receive those channels on the TV, but not the Premiere, it may be the Premiere's tuners are less sensitive to receive those channels.
No - these are digital channels. The channels are 3.1 and 3.2 (received on digital frequency 7) and channels 5.1 and 5.2 (received on digital frequency 8). Look at KFBB and KRTV at the TVFool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...99007aec6c928d
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
tvoe

My relsearch has found no comparable market yet

If the website http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets is reliable, I have found in the top 20 markets that:

LA has channels 7 and 8, but one is low power digital
Miami and Phoenix have both channels at full power, BUT there is a big difference between the power output of the two channels.

I think the Great Falls, MT market may be unique - with the two channels being broadcast from exactly nearly the same location with almost the same power. I suspect that this is somehow not working for the TiVo box and causing reception issues on one channel. TiVo has not heard about it before because I may very well be the first person trying to use this Premier for OTA broadcasts in this environment.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Aero 1

yes, ABC 7 in NYC is RF7 and i get it at about 94%. I can also get RF8 but its transmitters are pointed 180 degrees away from the empire state building so i don't get it because i do not have my antenna on a rotor. I also dont care for rf 8 because its the same channel i get from RF 51, the NJ PBS station which transmits from 3 different sites.

the tivo works fine with these channels, maybe your antenna is not adequate for VHF signals at its current location.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
tvoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

the tivo works fine with these channels, maybe your antenna is not adequate for VHF signals at its current location.
I still haven't heard from anyone that receives both of these channels at the same time, with their antenna facing the same direction. I am less than 2 miles from the TV towers and can see them from my backyard. All other devices in the house pick up the two channels fine with the attic antenna that I am using (or rabbit ears). But one is not coming through the TiVo no matter what I try.

In another thread, someone suggested that the adjacent channel rejection figures on the tuners may not be adequate on the TiVo. That is why I am curious if anyone picks up strong signals from both digital frequencies 7 and 8 without movement of their antenna.