Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #31
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
The relevance of what I'm talking about in reference to rekeying locks so that they only need one key was during the developers pitch. He held out a big keychain with a bunch of keys on it and then tossed it over his shoulder saying that his new locking system would eliminate that. You wouldn't need to carry a mess of keys in your pocket. Yeah, but so would rekeying your locks so you just had one tiny key instead of that mess of keys he just tossed over his shoulder, and at a fraction of the cost. It was his selling point for his lock, and I don't see that as a selling point at all.
Oh geeze, that was just a BS marketing gimmick/metaphor. 75% of Shark Tank pitches include the business owner either dumping something in the trash or throwing something over their shoulder "Well NOT ANYMORE!"

And to do the re-keying like you're suggesting only really works if all of the locks are from the same manufacturer and similar model locks. Nobody I know has all keys for all locks the same make and model.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Oh geeze, that was just a BS marketing gimmick/metaphor. 75% of Shark Tank pitches include the business owner either dumping something in the trash or throwing something over their shoulder "Well NOT ANYMORE!"

And to do the re-keying like you're suggesting only really works if all of the locks are from the same manufacturer and similar model locks. Nobody I know has all keys for all locks the same make and model.
At $20 a rekeying, and $60 a new lock vs. $120 for just one if these UniKey locks does it matter? The cost advantage is definitely not in UniKey's favor. But again, I get it, you're paying for the convenience.

Lastly, what you see as a convince I also see as a huge potential security risk.
Seems like every time a convenience item is introduced, not too long after the security risk is exposed. Just like RFID scanners picking up credit card info on new credit cards that can transmit your credit card info for an easy pay. And its already been shown that keyless entry on cars can be defeated without the owner ever knowing. This is likely no different. With convenience comes risk.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #33
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post

Lastly, what you see as a convince I also see as a huge potential security risk.
Seems like every time a convenience item is introduced, not too long after the security risk is exposed. Just like RFID scanners picking up credit card info on new credit cards that can transmit your credit card info for an easy pay. And its already been shown that keyless entry on cars can be defeated without the owner ever knowing. This is likely no different. With convenience comes risk.
I can guarantee you that good old-fashioned lock picking is A LOT easier than any security risk introduced by these devices. These are all low-level, consumer grade lock cylinders. Locks like these (robo or not) just keep out the honest people. If someone wanted into your house, they're not going to bother with hacking cell phones and bluetooth stacks. A brick or sledge hammer is much easier. Just check out these links about key bumping:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

click here to watch the video
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #34
pmyers

I would absolutely LOVE to be able to send "Ekeys"!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #35
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
Its a lock that interacts with your smartphone to issue/validate keys. Its called UniKey

According to his website he's had contact with B/D thru his previous employer which is probably why he is negotiating with them. Also didn't know B/W owns Kwikset so they must think his product is different enough from their own stuff.
That, or the person he's dealing with has no decision making ability, and is just helping him out for his negotiations.