TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
leiff

use TiVo as music juke-box. Leave tv off?

can this be done either through my networked pc interface or through an android app on my WiFi tablet? My music resides on my pc. I have a s3 TiVo. I want to play my music through my TiVo without having to turn on my tv. I've used my s3 to access my mp3 music on my pc before using TiVo interface before so I know TiVo can do It. I'm hoping an alternate interface is available. Also, last I checked flac music wasn't supported. Is this still so?
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm not sure what you're asking. If your TiVo is connected to a separate audio system, then sure, you can start the music playing and then turn off the TV. If you want to play music without ever turning on the TV, then you're probably better off with a non-TiVo solution.

The TiVo's music player only accepts MP3. But pyTivo will transcode FLAC for you on the fly, as well as AAC, WMA, etc. I can't speak to other servers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
leiff

yes, I am asking for a solution that doesn't require tv to be turned on.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
You can only use the RCA jacks to do this. As far as I know none of the TiVo use HDMI 4 ports. Part of the spec for HDMI 4 is the passing of sound without having to turn on the TV. Iím sure someone smarter then I am will jump in and correct me if I am wrong.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I think the bigger issue is the lack of a way to control the TiVo without the TV on. You might be able to get around this with one of the remote programs -- though probably only with a Series 4. Still, I think something like one of these would work better for this application:

http://www.sonos.com/
http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wirele.../dp/B00011Y1MQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Still a little unsure what you mean. I can start Pandora and then turn my TV off with a HDMI connection from my TiVo to an Onkeyo receiver without out any issues. If you are looking for a solution where you never have to turn the TV on I would guess you can do that if you have a Series 4 and are using an IOS or Android device to control it.

Good Luck,
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
You can only use the RCA jacks to do this.
Or optical, that's what I use to connect my TiVo to my receiver (my old Pioneer doesn't have HDMI). Then I can start up my jukebox playlist and then off the TV and still listen to the audio on the outdoor speakers.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
leiff

android app issnt supporting s3 then. Oh well. Wonder when s5 TiVo will come out?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
windracer
joined the 10k club

The remote feature of the Android app should work with your S3.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
The remote feature of the Android app should work with your S3.
works with my TiVo HD

Roamio Pro- $99 yearly grandfathered MSD
Premiere- 2TB w/PLS
TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS For Sale $350
Series 2- Just sittin around
DVR40- yours if you want it
Connected via Ethernet
FiOS

Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

My point about the remote was that you can't see where you're going without the TV on. The new network remote interface, which is only available on Series 4, allows for more direct actions (so it's less important to know where you are in the menus).

Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Jeff_DML

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Still a little unsure what you mean. I can start Pandora and then turn my TV off with a HDMI connection from my TiVo to an Onkeyo receiver without out any issues. If you are looking for a solution where you never have to turn the TV on I would guess you can do that if you have a Series 4 and are using an IOS or Android device to control it.

Good Luck,
I do the same thing, turn off my tv and I still get sound on my Onkyo receiver via HDMI from Pandora. I programmed my harmony with a new activity to do this. One thing that does not work is the 2nd zone playout of pandora, assume this is HDCP related.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
bsmith1051

Sounds like you want to setup a DLNA 'environment' but your Tivo wouldn't be a part of it.

If your home computer is Win7 then the built-in Windows Media Player is already acting as a DLNA server; otherwise there are lots of free apps you can install. You then need a DLNA media-player to act as the 'target' for playback. I recently bought a Sony SMP-N200 for $50 and connected it to my home stereo. Finally I downloaded a DLNA controller app (e.g. BubbleUPnP is my favorite) to my smartphone.

Now, I can browse my entire music library from my phone and send songs to the main stereo in my living room. Does this sound like what you're trying to accomplish?
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote