TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
ghostrider45
Ghostrider45

Program Scheduling Wish

Sigh, I know my Tivos (S3 and Premiere) only keep at most 2 weeks of future program guide, but I sure wish I could set up Season Passes for shows beyond that window. I often see an ad for a show that looks interesting but is scheduled to start a month or so out. I would love to set a SP on the spot so I don't forget, but can't due to limited guide data. Then I forget to write down a reminder and miss the show.....
ghostrider45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider45 View Post
Sigh, I know my Tivos (S3 and Premiere) only keep at most 2 weeks of future program guide, but I sure wish I could set up Season Passes for shows beyond that window. I often see an ad for a show that looks interesting but is scheduled to start a month or so out. I would love to set a SP on the spot so I don't forget, but can't due to limited guide data. Then I forget to write down a reminder and miss the show.....
Use wish list to make sure you don't miss it. Then when you see it pop up on your to do list you can set a regular season pass.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Online Calendar Reminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider45 View Post
I forget to write down a reminder and miss the show
If you have a Gmail account, set up a reminder at Calendar.Google.com to send yourself an email 2 weeks before the show airs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLABB View Post
Use wish list
Wish List might not catch it if the priority in Season Pass Manager is low and you don't check your To Do list regularly.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
lpwcomp

The problem is that the TiVo simply does not have the data needed (SeriesId and Channel) to create a Season pass for something that is not yet in the guide.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
bmgoodman

Tivo *could* impress

I see this as an opportunity for Tivo to really impress its customers. The "Press Thumbs Up to Record" icon that now I almost never see should be used for this purpose. Tivo should stop trying to sell this feature to the networks and should instead add it as a convenience for the customers. They should coordinate with at least the 30 "most popular" networks to get the SeriesID information ahead of time. Sure, maybe some of the shows are advertised so far ahead (USA Network) they might not have a SeriesID yet.

Still, countless times I see an ad for an upcoming TV movie or series and then pause my program to set up a recording. Only to find that it's not in the guide data yet. What a time saver and convenience if more of these shows had the "Press Thumbs Up to Record"!
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
lpwcomp

The seriesId is assigned by Tribune, not the content providers.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
The seriesId is assigned by Tribune, not the content providers.
Right, so for this feature (TiVo letting you pre-set season passes when shows are first advertised) to work they'd probably need some manual intervention and a tweak to the TiVo software.

Basically when they set up the 'thumbs up to record' event assign a fake invalid seriesId the TiVo can use to set up the SP. Then once the real Tribune seriesID is known load the change into their servers so when a TiVo with the 'faked' SP calls in it gets the correct seriesID to swap out for the fake one.

Take a bit of implementation work, but it shouldn't be all that hard. And it would be a nice bonus for the customers.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Right, so for this feature (TiVo letting you pre-set season passes when shows are first advertised) to work they'd probably need some manual intervention and a tweak to the TiVo software.

Basically when they set up the 'thumbs up to record' event assign a fake invalid seriesId the TiVo can use to set up the SP. Then once the real Tribune seriesID is known load the change into their servers so when a TiVo with the 'faked' SP calls in it gets the correct seriesID to swap out for the fake one.

Take a bit of implementation work, but it shouldn't be all that hard. And it would be a nice bonus for the customers.
I don't see any real advantage to this vs. an ARWL. I also think it would be a poor use of TiVos limited resources.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I don't see any real advantage to this vs. an ARWL. I also think it would be a poor use of TiVos limited resources.
I can see two minor advantages, but I tend to agree that given how long it takes TiVo to make updated I really want I'd prefer them not to be distracted by minor features I don't really need.

But the two slight advantages are:
1) Less work/chance of error from the customer. Clicking one thumbs up is easier than having to go type the whole name into a wishlist.
2) Works for extremely generic names. Some shows have names like "House" or "Touch" that can get a lot of false positives in a title keyword wishlist. Or shows that rebooted like "Dallas" or "Battlestar Galactica" where there are two different shows with the same name. Unless you do even more work (for example by adding actors) you could get a bunch of false positives until the real show hit the guide data and you could switch to a season pass.

Now like I said, those are only slight advantages, because neither issue is insurmountable.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
I can see two minor advantages, but I tend to agree that given how long it takes TiVo to make updated I really want I'd prefer them not to be distracted by minor features I don't really need.

But the two slight advantages are:
1) Less work/chance of error from the customer. Clicking one thumbs up is easier than having to go type the whole name into a wishlist.
If the ability to create an ARWL for something not yet in the guide with ""thumbs up to record" doesn't already exist, add it. It might be there. Isn't that what it does if you want to record a new show from the Season Premiere Guru Guide? I know you can create one for a specific episode from a list of episodes.
Quote:
2) Works for extremely generic names. Some shows have names like "House" or "Touch" that can get a lot of false positives in a title keyword wishlist. Or shows that rebooted like "Dallas" or "Battlestar Galactica" where there are two different shows with the same name. Unless you do even more work (for example by adding actors) you could get a bunch of false positives until the real show hit the guide data and you could switch to a season pass.
That's one of the problems I thought of that would occur even with the "faux SP" method.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I see this as an opportunity for Tivo to really impress its customers. The "Press Thumbs Up to Record" icon that now I almost never see should be used for this purpose. Tivo should stop trying to sell this feature to the networks and should instead add it as a convenience for the customers.
This feature works because a special tag is inserted into the VBI portion of the video stream and the TiVo detects it. So unless the have to cooperation of the networks there is no way for them to offer this feature on their own, free or not.

TiVo actually has a feature that can kind of do what you want. They have Guides that can be setup to auto record. Last September they had one for new shows and you could set it up long before any of those new shows were in the guide. However once those new shows were in the guide they started to record. These guides are maintained by TiVo manually and updated as new guide data is available so they can be setup to record almost anything. They're similar to Wish Lists but with different parameters not available via Wish Lists. They're actually kind of cool, if you haven't seen them then you should check them out.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
This feature works because a special tag is inserted into the VBI portion of the video stream and the TiVo detects it. So unless the have to cooperation of the networks there is no way for them to offer this feature on their own, free or not.

TiVo actually has a feature that can kind of do what you want. They have Guides that can be setup to auto record. Last September they had one for new shows and you could set it up long before any of those new shows were in the guide. However once those new shows were in the guide they started to record. These guides are maintained by TiVo manually and updated as new guide data is available so they can be setup to record almost anything. They're similar to Wish Lists but with different parameters not available via Wish Lists. They're actually kind of cool, if you haven't seen them then you should check them out.
Where was this "guide" you speak of? On the Tivo website? Hopefully someone will alert us when this is available in September if they do this again.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's on the TiVo itself. In the Browse section. It's actually called a "collection" not a guide. There is one now called "What's New" that can be set to record. The one I was referring to was called new falls shows, or something like that.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
cherry ghost

The Officail TiVo Blog covered this today
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
mattack

Quote:
2) Works for extremely generic names. Some shows have names like "House" or "Touch" that can get a lot of false positives in a title keyword wishlist.
Maybe I'm totally zoning out about this, even being a longtime Tivo user, but this is one of the things that has bugged me.. These always use show title & episode title for matches, right? Even though IIRC there *seem* to be two different fields?

I'm not in front of my Tivo at the moment, but if I could do ARWLs that were absolutely only SHOW title and not episode title related, there would be far fewer false positives.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Maybe I'm totally zoning out about this, even being a longtime Tivo user, but this is one of the things that has bugged me.. These always use show title & episode title for matches, right? Even though IIRC there *seem* to be two different fields?

I'm not in front of my Tivo at the moment, but if I could do ARWLs that were absolutely only SHOW title and not episode title related, there would be far fewer false positives.
Yes, 'title keyword' matches against show title or episode title.

I wouldn't mind that getting split into two fields, but I use the ability to set a wishlist for episode titles too frequently to want that ability to totally disappear.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
lpwcomp

If you knew the title of the first episode, you could create a wishlist entry just for that.