TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Download bandwidth questions

I've gotten more into downloaded videos, from Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon. I've been having some problems with Amazon, but even when it works, it takes awhile to download. But Hulu and Netflix stream down with no problem. If I download a torrent, its slower than Netflix or Hulu. What governs download speeds?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Are you downloading or are you streaming? They are two very different beasts.

The three named services are all streaming and are governed by your available bandwidth and the speed of the server - plus the amount of buffering. HD programming requires a higher bandwidth than SD.

Torrenting is downloading and is governed not only by the above factors, but also to a degree by your available upload bandwidth, which is most of the time considerably smaller than the download speed. If you are hitting the max on the uploads, the download will be affected. Make sure that your torrenting upload speed is restricted when at rest as it can and will throttle streaming speeds on the other services.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Why is streaming different than downloading? Its still the same bits coming down the pipe, isn't it?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
The three named services are all streaming and are governed by your available bandwidth and the speed of the server - plus the amount of buffering. HD programming requires a higher bandwidth than SD.
Amazon actually is both. Amazon Prime videos are streaming; Amazon Video on Demand is one or the other depending on the device you are using.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Worf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
Why is streaming different than downloading? Its still the same bits coming down the pipe, isn't it?
Not necessarily - the streaming services monitor how well you're receiving the data - if your internet connection slows down, they send a lower quality stream believing you'd rather see a lower quality version rather than have a pause for buffering every 10 seconds.

A torrent download is fixed quality - and it's also dependent on how fast everyone else is - if their uploads are slow, your download will be slow and if your connection gets congested, it takes longer. Usually there's a sweet spot of a day or two after it's posted where the torrent will have the most number of seeders and thus faster download speeds. If you're at the beginning, you're probably uploading a lot more because most people don't have it yet, just portions. But after a day or two, more people will have downloaded the complete thing and you should get even faster download speeds.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #6
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Are you downloading or are you streaming? They are two very different beasts.

Torrenting is downloading and is governed not only by the above factors, but also to a degree by your available upload bandwidth, which is most of the time considerably smaller than the download speed. If you are hitting the max on the uploads, the download will be affected. Make sure that your torrenting upload speed is restricted when at rest as it can and will throttle streaming speeds on the other services.
maybe you can explain this. if i have just one torrent downloading then decide to start another one, the 1st one download speed increases! to test this i turned the 2nd d/l on and off a few times

i'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that i'm uploading 2 things and it gives me 'credit' for being so nice and speeds up the 1st d/l?

do you recommend utorrent be set to a max upload speed or not because that will affect d/l?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
maybe you can explain this. if i have just one torrent downloading then decide to start another one, the 1st one download speed increases! to test this i turned the 2nd d/l on and off a few times
I have never experienced this. I would tend to think it's coincidence, though.

Quote:
i'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that i'm uploading 2 things and it gives me 'credit' for being so nice and speeds up the 1st d/l?
Without knowing the site you're using, it's difficult to give a precise answer, but in my experience, there is no mechanism in place for restricting the speed of a download from the tracking site's end on the fly. You can, of course, restrict the U/D speeds using uTorrent (I use the scheduler).

Quote:
do you recommend utorrent be set to a max upload speed or not because that will affect d/l?
Depending on your ISP's upload speed, yes, it's a good idea to restrict it, especially at peak times. Again, use the scheduler - and leave it wide open when it doesn't matter to increase your ratio.

I have a dedicated machine for mine and the sites I use for Brit shows rate you according to your ratio. I always leave seeds for a minimum of 48 hours and often several days before removing them and make sure that I always seed more than I take if possible. There's always something that is just not in demand and doesn't seed well, so if I get a popular one, I'll let it run longer to help things along.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

Could there also be issues with OPs internet provider? Is it possible they put a cap on torrent speed?

I am always amazed at how fast most torrents download. Surely faster than the time it would take to watch a streaming video of the same.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
sharkster

I've purchased a few movies from Amazon, since I got my Premieres, and had to learn that I have to plan ahead because a two-hour movie can take up to six hours to download. I have no idea why this is. Maybe it's because I have DSL and not cable internet. My DSL is pretty fast, otherwise, so I just don't get it.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:

Without knowing the site you're using, it's difficult to give a precise answer, but in my experience, there is no mechanism in place for restricting the speed of a download from the tracking site's end on the fly. You can, of course, restrict the U/D speeds using uTorrent (I use the scheduler).

Depending on your ISP's upload speed, yes, it's a good idea to restrict it, especially at peak times. Again, use the scheduler - and leave it wide open when it doesn't matter to increase your ratio.

I have a dedicated machine for mine and the sites I use for Brit shows rate you according to your ratio. I always leave seeds for a minimum of 48 hours and often several days before removing them and make sure that I always seed more than I take if possible. There's always something that is just not in demand and doesn't seed well, so if I get a popular one, I'll let it run longer to help things along.
upload is 256k and sometimes i set it to 12 just because it's a number i made up. other times i set to unlimited to see what it does.

i always remove files as soon as they are done downloading.

i dont understand how ratios are used but i'm pretty sure i saw 150% in one of the options.

funny you mention popular shows, sometimes ill d/l one with thousands of users and it's at a crawl.

!

Old 01-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

I remember the days when torrent downloads were kinda slow. Then I found TVTorrents.com and didn't really know why but torrrents from this site just downloaded faster than any other place I was getting TV shows. I only use this site now so I have no idea about any other sites. I assume it's because of their strict shared policy so they just have more overall seeders.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

If you remove files immediately after downloading, you're really not being fair to others. It's quite possible that the site you're using is aware of this - and you have a really stinky ratio - so they are restricting your speed.

I have a simple 12Mb down/768k up DSL connection (it's all I can get!) and most of my unrestricted downloads come in at up to 1.4 Mb/s.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I've purchased a few movies from Amazon, since I got my Premieres, and had to learn that I have to plan ahead because a two-hour movie can take up to six hours to download. I have no idea why this is. Maybe it's because I have DSL and not cable internet. My DSL is pretty fast, otherwise, so I just don't get it.
I think your DSL is slightly faster than mine. I recently purchaced a 2hr 15min HD movie and it took nearly 8 hours to download.

The difference is downloading vs. streaming.
With downloading, you get full quality (large file). That same file would be compressed if you were to have it streamed instead of downloaded.
With DSL, I certainly doubt you'd be able to stream anything in HD.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
If you remove files immediately after downloading, you're really not being fair to others. It's quite possible that the site you're using is aware of this - and you have a really stinky ratio - so they are restricting your speed.

I have a simple 12Mb down/768k up DSL connection (it's all I can get!) and most of my unrestricted downloads come in at up to 1.4 Mb/s.
with 1.5/256 i just hate to clog things up. last night i did take time to poke around some screens and noticed on the bottom of the client it stated some files were at a 400 speed. does that mean ideally i should be getting a 400 speed from some of them? ive never seen anything above 150 no matter how much/little i was using the machine.

plus i dont understand what you said about site monitoring. so piratebay, torrenthound keep track of what is on my machine and adjust accordingly?

!