TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Question General question about Smart TVs with Premiere 4/XL4

Hey all! I'm going to be replacing my Premiere with either a Premiere 4 or Premiere XL4. (I haven't decided yet.. heh)

I'm considering getting a new TV as well but I'm very unfamiliar with the functionality they provide when used with a TiVo. Is there any reason to get a Smart TV if I have TiVo?

As an aside, I've seen that some Smart TVs offer YouTube support. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and the current YouTube app on TiVo absolutely sucks. It's buggy, slow, and non-intuitive. I know YouTube developed it but why TiVo accepted this crap on their system is beyond me. I pay TiVo for service, not YouTube, and expect better service. The Netflix app isn't much better.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.. lol. Is there any reason to get a Smart TV if I have TiVo?
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
burdellgp

If the TV offers features TiVo doesn't have but sound good, then sure. My TV has a bunch of apps that sound neat, but I don't really use, so I don't often.

The Youtube app on my TV is the same as on my TiVo (and sucks in both places).
burdellgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Kerwin51580

I agree with you both about the Youtube app. A few weeks ago, the youtube app on my phone updated and let me pair my phone with the Youtube app. It's much more usable now. I can search and queue up videos with my phone that then play through the app on the TiVo.

I have my phone paired up with the Youtube app on my tv (a Samsung UN55D8000) and the TiVo. The version of the app I use depends on which remote is closest.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

Smart TVs, as with many 3D TVs, can often times be better than their non-3D and non-Smart TV counterparts because they also happen to have better picture quality, since they're often built on a newer/better technology process than those counterparts designed for budget buyers. That's just a *very general* observation I've made and not universal.

That being said, Tivo's apps do kind of suck, and they lack a lot of things (like Amazon Prime, etc). The Smart TV version of these apps are generally anywhere from equally bad to decent. They're not the fastest apps in the world, but they're not likely going to hang and crash your TV (ahem, Netflix).

Personally I wouldn't buy a TV based on its apps. I would try to target the best picture quality for my given budget. (If it just happens to have apps, then great. That's a bonus.) Then if you decide to go with a Premiere 4, I'd consider putting the saved money towards a Roku if you're not against having another device. Then you've got the reasonably best of everything.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 11-22-2012 at 03:04 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Smart TVs, as with many 3D TVs, can often times be better than their non-3D and non-Smart TV counterparts because they also happen to have better picture quality, since they're often built on a newer/better technology process than those counterparts designed for budget buyers. That's just a *very general* observation I've made and not universal.

That being said, Tivo's apps do kind of suck, and they lack a lot of things (like Amazon Prime, etc). The Smart TV version of these apps are generally anywhere from equally bad to decent. They're not the fastest apps in the world, but they're not likely going to hang and crash your TV (ahem, Netflix).

Personally I wouldn't buy a TV based on its apps. I would try to target the best picture quality for my given budget. (If it just happens to have apps, then great. That's a bonus.) Then if you decide to go with a Premiere 4, I'd consider putting the saved money towards a Roku if you're not against having another device. Then you've got the reasonably best of everything.
I am going to disagree with that first comment. All of the higher end set makers tend to have a non smart version which offers the same picture specs, just no smart features.. There are higher end higher end which offer better everything
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
scole250

If you think the Tivo apps suck and are slow, you better test drive the Samsung apps first.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
abqdan

I think most users agree the TiVo apps suck. Slow, buggy interfaces. I've now given up on the Tivo version of HuluPlus, because the V301 error makes it unusable; and Tivo just don't seem to care at all. I can access HuluPlus through my Sony TV, the XBox, and the WD HDTV Live box - all of which work flawlessly.

I'd be surprised if there are many TVs out there without the basic apps these days. I'd just stick with a good brand, and not worry about the apps. Pick a brand, pick a size, make sure you have enough inputs for the gear you have. That's about it. Personally, I love Sony and Samsung TVs, but it's down to personal choice.

As far as Tivo is concerned, they should probably just pull the Netflix, HuluPlus and YouTube apps from their machines, and be content to be a decent DRV. They are NOT going to make themselves into the 'one box' for home entertainment - their systems are underpowered, and the flash interfaces they've built are sluggish and buggy. I think they missed the boat, and I wonder if they'll even be relevant in another five years - I suspect not.
abqdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
dsnotgood

Youtube works awesome. Just use a smartphone to queue up videos and search.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin51580 View Post
I agree with you both about the Youtube app. A few weeks ago, the youtube app on my phone updated and let me pair my phone with the Youtube app. It's much more usable now. I can search and queue up videos with my phone that then play through the app on the TiVo.
I don't want this to turn into a I hate YouTube thread but based on the replies a Smart TV is simply not worth it, especially since the same buggy and ridiculous YouTube app would be on that too.

It's ironic that TV and TiVo focuses on channels (like with Season Passes), yet there's no way to simply view someone's YouTube channel. To me it seems like the developers that made the app used on all these platforms clearly don't use YouTube on a regular basis.

I cannot understand why TiVo accepted this crap on their platform. It's making them look incompetent. Originally I thought oh great, a better YouTube app. Turns out it's unbelievably bad.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
Youtube works awesome. Just use a smartphone to queue up videos and search.
How awesome is it? You can't view a channel, it's slow, it locks up, it's not intuitive, etc.

It WOULD be awesome if it actually worked worth a darn.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
heyted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
Is there any reason to get a Smart TV if I have TiVo?
You may want to consider making a TV smart with a Google TV device such as the Vizio Co-Star. YouTube works great on the Co-Star, and it supports Tivo pass through.
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
anthonymoody

Fwiw, I have tried a LOT of app sources and tbh the best hands down is and has always been the PS3. It tends to get apps quickly, has all the important ones (nflx, vudu, amazon, hulu+), tends to update them frequently, is extremely fast, and tends to have the latest/greatest in terms of each app's UI. It also happens to be a great bluray player though admittedly it's SD DVD up scaling is subpar compared to today's sota. And of course no cable TV interface.

I could conceive of a day when the appleTV offers as many (or likely more) apps than the ps3, and at equally high quality, but it will obviously never play blu rays. I could also conceive of a day when the appletv has a cablecard slot or is otherwise integrated into TVs such that its software renders TiVo moot. However neither of those days is here right now.

I could also conceive of a day when TiVo releases a product whose hardware and software work together in a fast robust manner (not pointing fingers at either, it's simply clear that even the premiere series isn't up to snuff with the current software), has open app capability, etc. though it will of course not play physical media.

All said another way, there is still no perfect one box solution. A TiVo xl4 for TV and a PS3 for everything else is the closest current solution IMHO. Add an appletv if you are a big apple ecosystem guy for close iTunes integration.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote