Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #91
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Also the "Chairman" is just an actor not actual Japanese royalty or descendant of the original "Chairman"
My wife loves "Iron Chef America". I always say, "You know the chairman is really an actor...". My wife always, jokingly, replies that he is most definitely not. One time I found the actor was in one of those bad Sy-Fy Saturday movies and recorded it to "prove" to my wife he was an actor. He is, IMHO, not a very good actor.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #92
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

COPS would be about the only one I'd trust. Don't watch any others. I saw Pawn Star once and cringed from the bad acting and "dramatic" pauses while they were "negotiating". I blame Survivor for all the "reality" crap that pollutes today.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #93
greggt007

nobody mention storage wars/auction yet? "I cant believe he/she is dragging me out here", yea like the camera crew isnt, and like every group doesnt contractually have to be at every auction. i'll suspend disbelief but dont lie.
greggt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #94
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
I saw Pawn Star once and cringed from the bad acting and "dramatic" pauses while they were "negotiating". I blame Survivor for all the "reality" crap that pollutes today.
Earlier episodes they weren't pausing, just cutting/editing the audio.

Many times you could hear them start to say the price right as they cut it, then the pause and hopeful glances from the pawn guy and the seller, then the continuation with the price.

Later they started having them actually pause.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #95
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
A friend of my Son's is on the current Bachelorette and while he's filled in some blanks there are many things that he just won't disclose.
So, then fill us in on the blanks he did fill in!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #96
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggt007 View Post
nobody mention storage wars/auction yet? "I cant believe he/she is dragging me out here", yea like the camera crew isnt, and like every group doesnt contractually have to be at every auction. i'll suspend disbelief but dont lie.
The one that used to make me wonder about their so-called "reluctance" to be somewhere was a British show called Most Haunted which used to air on the Travel Channel (US). The beginning of the show would have host Yvette Fielding going through various rooms, saying things like "This room is SOOOO scary, the owners refuse to ever step foot in it." Yet, it wasn't scary enough to prevent the host* from doing intro shots in those very same rooms

*she rivaled Jamie Lee Curtis for the "Queen of Scream" title whenever the ghosts (real or imagined) frightened her
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #97
Samantha Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Jon and Kate plus eight started off as a one hour documentary. It was a real documentary. They followed it with a second one later on, then it became a show.

Once it became a show they did not take the luxury of filming then for six months to make each episode of the tv show. This is the rub. Most of these shows with seven to thirteen hours of content a year would not be engaging given the source material they have to work from.

I don't like it either but it is not as easy as saying make it like a documentary. Most documentaries cover substantial periods of time. Think of your favorite documentary movies of all time. Now tell that creator to do that same work six times every twelve months. It is an impossible request and we end up with staged nonsense.

I have to agree with you on this matter. Documentaries do take lot of time to film. My favorite is the Blue Planet from David Attenborough. Right now i am watching The First Life.
Samantha Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #98
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
To be fair, long runs for a restaurant, even successful ones, are pretty rare.

I also wouldn't pin all the fault on Ramsay; he can only do so much when he's dealing with some of these inept restaurateurs, especially when (if the reality is as portrayed on the show) he is expected to come in and overnight transform a failing restaurant into a successful one.

But yeah, to expect a coat of paint for the restaurant and a pep talk for the staff to suddenly revive a restaurant is not exactly likely.
+1. The vast majority of things I've read indicate that very few of the owners maintain his standards or changes. They are too stubborn.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #99
warrenn

There are different levels of fakeness. In shows like Big Brother and Survivor, the contestants are free to act as they see fit. They aren't getting explicit direction from the producers, but they may play up to the cameras or create drama for their own reasons. Many people on these shows are seeking attention or some sort of entertainment career. They know the more they can stay on screen, the more popular they will be. In a sense they may be acting, but it's an act they are creating themselves. The producers may attempt to influence the contestants or the game outcome, but it is generally up to the contestants to behave as they see fit.

In other shows like Pawn Stars or Miami Ink, it's more of an improv show where there is a loose outline of how the producers want the plot to go. The cast doesn't follow a written script, but they improv the conversation to follow the plot outline.

Then there's shows like House Hunters where the whole thing is a setup and the contestants are expected to follow exactly what the producers want them to do.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #100
inaka

Desert Car Kings.

Wow, this show on Discovery/Velocity is so fake. Bad acting, scripted, and they even purposely broke the window on a vintage 'Cuda just to add drama to the show. The guy who broke it was such a bad actor he almost started laughing, and then they cut to him acting like his job is on the line.

I wonder how many takes they did to break that glass. Horrible.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #101
sieglinde

I think Black Gold was probably an improv show.

I have watched the first two episodes of the Bristol Palin show. It seems to be only partially scripted.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #102
avery

Quote:
What's said is that these "producers" are ruining the entire genre for me and our going to burn their industry down if people stop watching because everything is fake.
And this would be a bad thing, because....??
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #103
avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebberwocky! View Post
A friend of my Son's is on the current Bachelorette and while he's filled in some blanks there are many things that he just won't disclose.
My daughter's friend, who was an AP on The Bachelor for a few seasons, told her that they deliberately ply the girls with liquor before the rose ceremonies, so they're more inclined to get weepy and cry! (and by that, I essentially mean drunk!)

All the reality shows are scripted/manipulated. It's sad and amazing to me that new ones just keep cropping up... and the newer they are, the more dreadful the premise.

(your son's friend had to sign a non-disclosure agreement and doesn't want to get sued)

Last edited by avery : 07-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.
avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #104
rondotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
Gene Simmons family jewels
That is a unique show. But if you look at the plotlines there are traditional sitcoms (especially the first couple of seasons.) So, what Simmons did was a sitcom, but in keeping with format of the day, produced it as a reality show. It's quite ingenious really.
rondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #105
rondotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Bikini Barbershop is so fake but at least the girls are wearing bikinis.
The show is not the only thing(s) on that show that are fake.
rondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #106
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by avery View Post
And this would be a bad thing, because....??
because some people enjoy "reality" shows
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #107
DLC

The over-produced style of cable reality shows has begun to permeate the big, prime-time network shows like Amazing Race and Survivor. For example, contestants are being given a more narrative role in their "confessionals". In the early seasons, Contestant-X would talk about how certain events effected him and his own game plan. Whereas now they talk more about how events will effect the entire group dynamic. Contestant-X explains that Contestant-Y is going to be pissed at Contestant-Z, etc. It's annoying.

And certain aspects of Survivor are "faked". A lot of what Probst is heard yelling out during immunity challenges is actually added in post-production. Thats not such a big deal though.
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #108
gamndbndr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
True, but the difference is those who signed up for HH must go look at the other two houses for the show.

Again, I would hope the other two choices are ones already rejected by the subjects of each episode, but the possibility exists that those are no longer up for sale by the time filming starts.
The real estate agent is the driving force for HH. Our agent was very excited about the opportunity as we were looking in north Georgia and production at the time was based out of Knoxville. They were soliciting agents and we were perfect "retirement home in the mountains." Then we found our cabin through CraigsList. End of discussion.

Recently friends of ours bought a cabin and did get on the show. The other 2 houses were found by their agent, one was still on the market from when they bought - the other was unknown. But they had already been in the place "2 months". Watch the show - however long they say it's been when they go back is how long the buyers have owned the place.

We still watch and enjoy the show and try to pick the "which one did they buy?" using the "least furniture" method. They clean out the place for the "showing" but then re-stage for the "after they bought" finale.
gamndbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #109
ADent

Quote:
True, but the difference is those who signed up for HH must go look at the other two houses for the show.

Again, I would hope the other two choices are ones already rejected by the subjects of each episode, but the possibility exists that those are no longer up for sale by the time filming starts.
It sounds like they do look at the other houses. The article linked near the top of this thread from someone on the show years ago says they looked at friends houses - not houses on the market
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #110
ADent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
That was one of my biggest complaint about the american version, that they only make one plate. I wish they made them do all the plates like the original.

I understand about the fact that the chefs have a general idea of the ingredient ahead of time. It only makes sense.
From my understanding the chefs are given a list of possible secret ingredients, approx 3. The chefs then prepare a shopping list for each ingredient.

Also the chefs have to cook the food in the time allotted. That is used for the camera work. They then re-cook all their food and it is served hot to the judges.

See http://eater.com/archives/2010/10/10...um-secrets.php
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #111
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADent View Post
The article linked near the top of this thread from someone on the show years ago says they looked at friends houses - not houses on the market
The post right above yours says that in the instance of their friend who got on the show, one of the alternate houses had already been rejected, but the other one they had not seen before.

I guess how the alternates are picked is determined at least partly by what's available at the time of filming.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #112
cannonz

Quote:

I don't think all of it is faked, and the earlier episodes I believe are genuine, but the recent ones involving Rygaard are definitely faked. Craig's intense dislike of Dave is more than just a sideshow, it is a safety hazard (which the show does depict quite well).

At the beginning of last season, am I really supposed to believe that Gabe's "accidental" felling of a tree right on top of Dave's car was genuine? And that the cameras just happened to be set up to capture all the best possible angles?
I like when Jimmy lost his boat, good thing they just happened to have camera attached to tailgate aimed down at the trailer hitch.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #113
tonestert

I was watching an episode of Yard Crashers the other day and when they went back to the owners house to look at their yard everyone was wearing coats and you could see it was definitely winter by the trees and yard anyways they said we will be back tomorrow to start the crash and the "next day" everyone was in short sleeve shirts and shorts and all the trees had leaves and everything was very green and obviously it was summer.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #114
Boot
to the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyoneFifty View Post
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but Kitchen Nightmares was mentioned, and I thought this was interesting. Looks like Gordon Ramsey's success rate isn't so hot:
US
S01E01 - Peter's - Babylon, NY **closed**
S01E02 - Dillon's - New York, NY **renamed Purnima, closed**

[snip]

(Source: http://www.quora.com/What-restaurant...es-have-closed)

Anyone remember Trick My Truck on CMT? The 'acting' was so bad.. I wanted to punch them in their face. It was literally... 'Hey. You. Get. Away. From. My. Truck.' It was ridiculous. I think all are staged for entertainment value, otherwise, no one would watch.
Seems like Restaurant: Impossible has done a little better:
(from here)

Restaurant Impossible
(episode list from Wikipedia) (Status from Yelp, Facebook, CHOW, etc)

SEASON ONE - 2011
Villari's, Palmyra, New Jersey - OPEN (Yelp review 3/12) website active
Mainelli's Restaurant, Providence, Rhode Island - CLOSED (according to Yelp)
Rascal's BBQ and Crab House, New Castle, Delaware - CLOSED (according to CHOW)
Salt Works II, Wilmington, North Carolina- OPEN (4/12 reivew on FaceBook page, 12/11 on Yelp)
Meglio's, Bridgeton, Missouri - OPEN (Yelp review 4/12)
Secret Garden Cafe, Jacksonville, Florida - OPEN (Yelp review 5/12)
Flood Tide, Mystic, Connecticut - OPEN (Yelp review 3/12)

SEASON TWO - 2011-2012
Dodge City, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania - OPEN (reviews - Yelp 12/11 - Facebook 5/12) website active
La Stanza, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - OPEN (Yelp review 4/12)
Sweet Tea, Chapin, South Carolina - OPEN - New Owner 4/12 (Urban Spoon review 4/12)
County Fare, Stafford, Virginia - CLOSED (according to Yelp)
Snooty Fox, Indianapolis, Indiana - CLOSED (according to Yelp)
Pastori's, Ellington, Connecticut - OPEN (Yelp review 11/11) website active
Scrimmages, Wilmington, Delaware - OPEN (Yelp review 9/11) website active
Mamma D's, Pipersville, Pennsylvania - OPEN (Yelp review 10/11) website active
The Trails, San Diego, California - OPEN (Yelp review 4/12)
Cap'n and the Cowboy, Port Charlotte, Florida - OPEN (Yelp review 3/12) website active
Mad Cactus, Strongsville, Ohio - OPEN (Yelp review 2/12) website active
McShane's, East Syracuse, New York - OPEN (Yelp review 5/12)
Coffee's Boilin' Pot, Madisonville, Louisiana - OPEN (Yelp review 5/12) - Website being updated page
St. James Soup Kitchen, Newark, New Jersey - OPEN (Yelp review 5/12) website active
Wildcat Café, Canton, Ohio - OPEN (Yelp entry 5/12) website active
Sullivan's, Fruita, Colorado - OPEN (Yelp review 2/12) website active
Hoffman's, Santa Cruz, California - OPEN (Yelp entry 5/12) website active

SEASON THREE - 2012
Moss', Elyria, Ohio - OPEN (Yelp review 4/12) website active
Chatterbox, Windham, New Hampshire - OPEN (Yelp review 5/12) website active
Anna Maria's, Dunmore, Pennsylvania - OPEN (Yelp review 3/12) website active
Del's, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - OPEN (Yelp review 2/12) website active
Woody's Tupelo Steakhouse,Tupelo, Mississippi - OPEN (Yelp review 4/12) website active
Valley View, Quarryville, Pennsylvania - CLOSED (according to Yelp)
Pelican Grill, Seabrook, Texas - OPEN (Yelp review 1/12) website active
Mama Lee's Soul Food Restaurant, San Antonio, Texas - OPEN (Yelp review 5/12) website active
Pappas Restaurant, Benicia, California - OPEN (Yelp review 2/12) website active
Ristorante Barolo, Aptos, California - OPEN (Yelp review 5/12) website active
University Grill, Burlington, North Carolina - OPEN website active
Pollard's Bar-B-Q, Memphis, Tennessee - OPEN website active
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"
" - GiGi
Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #115
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot View Post
Seems like Restaurant: Impossible has done a little better:
(from here)...
That would make sense to me as the people who go on RI are probably actually interested in staying in business than just being on national TV.

I watch and enjoy both shows but for totally different reasons.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #116
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
That would make sense to me as the people who go on RI are probably actually interested in staying in business than just being on national TV.

I watch and enjoy both shows but for totally different reasons.
if you read the updates online, very few of the owners on either show seem to keep most if any of the changes.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #117
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
if you read the updates online, very few of the owners on either show seem to keep most if any of the changes.
I hate that they changed and put the updates for RI online instead of during the episode. I will never make the effort to go to the website
Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #118
SickOfJunkTV

I KNEW I'd seen that guy before!!! Thank you for recognizing him and your post here. I'm sooooo sick of these shows. There are hundreds of channels but I can't find anything to watch.

NPR to the rescue! I can draw, paint or sew while listening on my iPod, and it's much more relaxing.

About the only things worth watching (IMHO) are the nature and history channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
A recent episode of American Pickers showed Mike and Frank buying a circus sideshow banner. Then they flashed back to a previous sideshow banner they had bought last season. In the flashback it showed the "expert" in NYC who valued it for them.

I now recognize that expert as Billy Leroy - one of the buyers on the new show Baggage Wars. In the pickers flashback, he wore an eye patch. On Baggage Wars, his vision must have gotten better because the eye patch is gone.

SickOfJunkTV is offline   Reply With Quote